NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,654 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/s8k9ht.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/dqwnr4.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't have a chance to watch anything today. Checked Bloomberg Mobile a couple times just to see what happened. The home move was too intense today, had to get settled in to be able to function. I had a prior support zonr with two yelow arrows, and it was broken today, abut then re-surfaced, Since have no idea how things happened, what the volume was, what the news was... But, on the surface, near term charts indicate a bullish gesture. Penetrated or not, there is now a LSP/RSP, and on a 6-range, a local DB around 101.80-101.90. I believe I am trading tomorrow, and as of now will be watching hard for a long trades.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/jn4dp9.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I spent the day unpacking, and put a lot of thought into all the recent discussion. A lot of things fell together for me, an entire format was written in my mind as to how I take the next step. And because of that, I will be re-wrting my entire set of rules, aka trading plan, over the next few days/weeks.

Discipline is a great word, but I need a way to measure it. Not in terms of goals as much as fire drill procedures and mathematical triggers for leverage increases.

Trading one contract has given me a lot of artistic license, and I think that has been good. But to move onto a larger playing field, that means practice is over and some specific rules need to be applied to the game. I believe I already know what those rules are, but want to get it in writing.

Started this thread

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

GaryD View Post
I will be re-wrting my entire set of rules, aka trading plan, over the next few days/weeks.

I will confess to not reading every word of all your posts. But my understanding of your thread, and journey, was that you were trading well for the last year. Then your success got in the way and you got into some trouble. Later, you've tried adding to positions and got into more trouble.

Am I right? If yes, then I have to question why you feel it necessary to rewrite your plan and rules. Is it your plan that is holding you back right now? Is it your rules? Or is it you, the execution of the plan, the execution of the rules, and your own psychological roadblocks that are getting in the way?

Now if I am wrong, then please let me know and accept my apologies.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Big Mike View Post
I will confess to not reading every word of all your posts. But my understanding of your thread, and journey, was that you were trading well for the last year. Then your success got in the way and you got into some trouble. Later, you've tried adding to positions and got into more trouble.

Am I right? If yes, then I have to question why you feel it necessary to rewrite your plan and rules. Is it your plan that is holding you back right now? Is it your rules? Or is it you, the execution of the plan, the execution of the rules, and your own psychological roadblocks that are getting in the way?

Mike

It's not as drastic as it sounds. I have some really good things that I use and would not change at all. It is more some spring cleaning and clear structuring. When I get it together I'll post and maybe it will make more sense. The move back into a "failed" house has triggered some weird stuff, including an increased urgency to trade larger. If it were not for that I think I am ready to step up. Just a weird time. My wife would like it if I figured out how to re-structure things to keep this house, and it is just, in my opinion, the type of thing that could sabotage me if I am not very careful, and very aware.

Started this thread

eudamonia 
Sacramento, CA

Platform: None
Broker: ADM and Sierra Charts
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 308
Thanks Received: 449

Gary,

I've been silently watching your thread for awhile and I just want to thank you and it's contributors so much. The emotions that you go through while trading, the struggle for finding a purpose as a trader, and so many other things resonate highly with me.

Edward

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Big Mike View Post

Mike

Mike, please post whatever you are thinking, it's ok. This journal is out there for whatever comes along. I have gained far more insight from other posts than any harm that could be done. And, I have not always treaded lightly on other posts. This is about finding solutions, and that by definition means there are issues to deal with.

Here is possiby a better answer to my dilemma;

There is a Citibank commercial out now that has someone climbing a mountain, and at the end of the video she is standing confidently on the peak. My wife said the other night, there is no way she could do something like that. I said, "you could if it were only 3 feet off the ground." That is basically the issue I have with increasing size.

A certain level of risk or drawdown I have learned to ignore as "noise". Step up, and I start to take notice, and worse, it changes something about how I react. I start to not do things as efficiently. I can trade very well, over an over, with 1 contract for $300 to $1,000 at a time, but something about increasing that really gets to me right now. The best I can determine, I made it a habit, out of necessity at the time, to not trade larger than I could sit calmly through, and that turned out to be 1-2 contracts.

The re-write of a plan has nothing to do with changing indicators or setups. It is intended to be a structured breaking of that habit. It is not something I am shying away from, I just picked a bad time, and possibly a bad motivation right now.

I think I have come up with a way to do it (very strange situation to make a plan to de-program / re-program), but I want time to write it out. My plan may turn out to appear backwards, but I had a thought and liked it. I started with an equity ratio of gradual decreasing risk and capital call triggers last night.

Whether it gets posted here in it's entirety or not, I need it to be written out and I need to approve of it. But it may be awhile before I get the entire plan together as we are living out of boxes still. And, until I do, 1-2 is where I belong. Meanwhile, I am playing with some holding times and stop placement. My average hold is around 5 minutes, and I am questioning that.

Thanks for your comments. Always. And for creating such a cool way to do this.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/j7ncxa.jpg[/IMG]

While the chart last night had me already prepared for a long this morning, tonight the chart does not say much to me about tomorrow's direction. Price is currently stuck between support and resistance to me. Obviously the RSP is still in play, but tomorrow's movement is required for me to have any bias. There are a lot of areas of interest, but nothing strong enough to want to consider a "zone" except the two shown.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/zp648b.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

eudamonia View Post
Gary,

I've been silently watching your thread for awhile and I just want to thank you and it's contributors so much. The emotions that you go through while trading, the struggle for finding a purpose as a trader, and so many other things resonate highly with me.

Edward

Thanks. It all works itself out eventually.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

An ABC completion target of 105.36 on a 120 minute (orange zig-zag) coincides with a 5WM completion target of 105.42 on a lower timeframe.

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/t9nqnz.jpg[/IMG]

The lower timeframe is coming off a minor double bottom, and the LSP/RSP is still in place, so my focus just shifted slightly. Bias depends on where price is in the morning, but the plan is in place.

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/ae8myb.jpg[/IMG]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/8dmyxp.jpg[/IMG]

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/w4upad.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts