NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,654 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

zt379 View Post

What, specifically, are you confused about and what is it within you that is wild, that you need certainty has been tamed ?

If I knew completely I would not have confusion. But, my dog seems to think I have a better chance of figuring it out if we jog around the lake.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/pskyk8.jpg[/IMG]

Clean slate, starting from scratch except for the overhead trendlines from both directions. It looks like chaos at first, but this is how it starts. Already, without drawing or removing another line, I know exactly what price will do come Monday. It will go up or down, and touch or break, one or many of these.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/tf558f.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

zt379 View Post
" Try not.
Do.
Or not do.
There is no try"

Do. Or do not. There is no try. - YouTube

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/vxv37h.jpg[/img]

This may be my favorite time in trading. The Sunday evening before the action starts again. Every week a new set of footprints are left behind, and the analysis begins again.

Without anything other than this quiet market to base a decision on, I am looking to buy the blue or green, sell the orange or red, and maybe catch a ride to either. Future volume could take any of that off the table.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I took my dog to the lake, but there was a block party going on, so we made a lap and returned to the house. Not the best atmosphere for contemplation. I was going to go the the gym, but I can do that anytime. I decided on my mountain bike instead.

I pedaled into a park, just followed the winding paths around the lakes, across bridges, not really paying attention to where I was. The ride had two purposes; to aide my current cleanse, and to seek an answer to the question of the day. Where I went did not really matter, as long as my legs did not wear out.

I wound up coming out on a street I had not seen for years. It is street that I have somewhat avoid. My wife and I had separated years ago, and I was directly in front of the house that she moved into during that time. Not that the outcome was bad, but the memories of that time were not so good.

I took a deep breath, realized it did not bother me anymore, smiled and continued down the road. It ended at a cemetery. I would have normally made a U-turn, but today I rode right through the gate.

What struck me first; This is where we are all going to end up. Whatever we choose to do with our lives, we will most likely make our final statement as a slab of stone with our names engraved. Success or failure, does that really even matter? Isn't either one better, than not trying?

The cemetery split into many roads, and taking the first right I saw a big headstone with my last name on it. I slowed and circled for awhile, chuckled at myself for wondering if I was meant to ride that way today. (Been listening to zt379 too much.) But since I was riding looking for answers anyway, let's go with.

It's the future, I am dead, and there before me is my grave. Me and my bike are the only visitors that I can see in all directions. It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the rest of the world is out living. What would I want my epitaph to say? The topic of the day is fear.

“He was fearful and proud of it”?

No, but “Tenacious no matter what” did not seem like it either. “Managed risk effectively”? I'm way off base, what does that have to do with the meaning of life?

What if it only listed one-word attributes, what would they be? Conservative, Dangerous, Bold, Reserved, Calculating, Patient?

No.

“Died Happy” is what I decided I wanted, laughed at myself a little and rode on.

“So what does that mean, Gary, and what in the world does it have to do with your trading right now?”, is what I was saying to myself.

I rode all through the cemetery, roads crisscrossing back and forth, set my target as a hilltop so I could really work my legs.

Along the way I read the names, some a deep part of Orlando history, others interpreted as a continuation of what I was there to learn. “Hurt” was one of the names that caught my attention. That is how the fear started. I had no fear to speak of, until I learned that not having it, hurt. In that respect, maybe fear is just one way of learning. You put your hand on a hot stove, it burns, you try not to do that again. But it does not mean we stay afraid of the stove for the rest of our lives. We just learn how to not get hurt. Fear, or maybe it's better called Respect, or even, Wisdom, are mechanisms through which we do that.

I saw “Price”. Oh, now don't try to teach me trading 101. Of course it's price “action”, but price itself does not matter. “Weeks”. Yes, I agree the greater timeframes can provide the best S/R analysis for bigger moves... I had turned my internal dialog back to something silly, not really comfortable with contemplating my own mortality for very long, I guess.

I reached the top of the hill and saw a section that was an island between roads, with small headstones that were noticeably more decorated than most of the rest. There was a green marker sign on a metal post “Baby Zone”. I could almost feel some of the pain of their parents' losses.

My circling started again, slowly reading names and dates of those who never got the opportunity to even try. I have an opportunity, I should not waste it. Having found myself more emotional than usual lately, I started to tear up some. I pushed over the top of the hill, picked up some speed which helped dry my eyes.

“Back on topic, Gary. It's getting late”.

As hard as I have worked to become a successful trader, what does it matter if I am not happy? “Fear” should not be a part of it. Neither should recklessness, but that is not the trader I am today. If I feel I am ready to take a step forward, I should. Yes, I made a lot of stupid trading mistakes in the past. So what? I learned from those mistakes, I studied, I practiced, I have done all of the things I can think of to learn not to touch that hot burner again. Once that lesson is learned, what are the chances I will walk up to a stove and just grab the burner to see what it is like? Virtually, none.

Not today. Not as the trader I have trained myself to be.

I started to feel a sense of being on the right path to what I set out to discover, and bumped my bike into a high gear to really get a workout as I headed home. As the sweat started to roll, I thought of a recent comment about my age and how maybe I should not spend so much time in front of the screens. I joked back at my similarly-aged colleague, “and the same with your chasing pussy, but what else are we going to do?”

I am not ready to die, actually believe I have a long time ahead of me. If I want to be a trader, if that is where my passion is, why even consider not doing it? We get one shot at life, but sometimes many shots at success.

I have skills now, that I have earned, and I spent the time to develop those skills so that I could become a full-time trader, so that I could make some significant money, and have a chance to feel that I could right some of the financial wrongs of my past. That is not a “bad” goal. I might argue there are no “bad” goals, as long as it is what gives you purpose, drive, a sense of pride and accomplishment.

To be “happy”, we must have a purpose, we must feel we are delivering on that purpose. Having goals makes us feel alive. Reaching our goals gives us satisfaction. To me, that is living.

After getting all of that out here, I am not sure if I have completely resolved my confusion from my journal post this morning, but I feel like I have gotten a better grasp on the issues. Maybe this week will push the topic a little further.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/43dqwz.jpg[/img]

Looks like crude is going to start with a buy watch this morning.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Wouldn't be great if someday in the future I attributed a part of my success to Yoda? It would be funny, anyway.

The messsage is right on though. "You must unlearn what you have learned" is just as appropriate here and the "Do or do not".

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Getting close. Market touched the top... Have 2 contracts loaded.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/hz5pjf.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Yeehaw

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts