NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,654 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/683rxy.jpg[/img]

The 786 retracement of the major move down seems to stand alone to me tonight as the last major defender in a long list of resistance casualties. It may also prove to be just another colored line of technical doubt in this recent run up.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/grgbvy.jpg[/IMG]

Resistance did make a valid effort to push the market back, and would have provided several good short trades for 50 ticks +/-, but the momentum on the way up made shorting difficult to feel confident about, without additional confirmation of reversal. And once the confirmation came, the bulk of the downward move was exhausted. Even a $1 move lower was too enticing to pass up for an abundance of buyers hoping to ride this wave to infinity.

When resistance broke today it did so on a burst of energy, and it became obvious the zone ran out of strength (sellers were taken out or had a change of opinion). The intensity of the resulting move to the 108.50 area may have just formed the pole of a flag or pennant. If correct, a break above the top end of this new area could easily see a move into the 110s, minimum (prior dual pivot), or a measured move of the prior run, or beyond. Playing with some upside targets this evening yielded results into the 130 range (although my background to date has difficulty accepting that distance).

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/q7uwfz.jpg[/img]

While I am not as comfortable in these conditions as I am a frequently reversing market, until the intermediate trendline of this move lets go, I am quickly gaining respect for the trend that has taken over.

Started this thread

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

I had shorted the 240M at 101.85 on QM (a couple of cars)....that big bar took me right out (lost 48ticks there)

Long at that inside bar at 10285 on another couple on QM and maybe I should have kept it until the next wave target at 116 instead of taking it off at 106 (it just kept hanging around... although looking at the 60M which you posted I should have seen that coming...but one step at a time)...It was still worth 252 QM ticks.

....still a learning curve on this overnight swing trade stuff. The original thinking a few posts back was correct (as you pointed out).....That massive inverted HNS is UP! I also see no Resistance on ES until 1450, unless price action reverses.

Edit (0405EST) - I take that 116 back, on this TF it pays to watch the DX....approaching a zone of interest 77.50 - 78.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/we4rvf.jpg[/img]

That 3800 contract bar has the appearance of a washout of the sotops overhead, but given crude's relentless upward run I am not touching it. My charts currently say "buy", but for some reason it is not registering with me. I feel confused more than confident, and that means hands off.

This market is outside of my understanding right now. I have witnessed impulse markets before, but it is not the normal condition, and so my ability to read what is happening is greatly compromised as the frequency of previous experiences is somewhat lacking.

I have traded flat to lower over the past week or so, and that on top of not being able to sit in one city for any more than a few days has gotten me to feel out of rhythm. I am in Orlando for the day and have little to distract me today, but I may still just enjoy watching this market. I am keeping my option open to take a trade before 2:30pm, but not counting on it.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/jmmnub.jpg[/img]

My instincts were correct, but I was not willing to go short.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/u6dubv.jpg[/img]

Double washout today. Still flat.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/mttfc3.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

No trades attempted today. I realize it seemed obvious that the market was headed higher after the return to the top, but to me it was more important to hve an opinion of what was most likely to occur, and then just watch it to see if I was on target. I am really more interested in getting back into a calm zone in myself, and so my "trades" were more in my head today. "I think that was a washout above the market, prices are coming down", "The market bottomed after taking out the stops below and should take out the high now", etc.

I WANTED to take a trade today; I leave for Boston on Monday, and then back to DC, so next week is probably off limits. Today may be the only "free" day I had. But I have not found my need to trade to be a calm place.

It was not a matter of trying to profit from it today, but more treating as a non-event, and building my quiet zone back again. Between my movements and crude's movements, a lot of ground has been covered in the past few weeks. That seems to have us both shaken up some.

I would really like to see a sudden resolution to the Iran fears...

Started this thread
Monaco357
Orlando, Florida

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 2

good boy grasshopper. you need to be in your good place before you buy, wait until you get back off the road OR the market drops below $104.00 then im all in with you.

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/zn3k7w.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts