NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 599,585 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

mfbreakout View Post
got stopped out @ 93.95. Long again 94.02. stop loss 93.79.

Once a re short level is taken out by buyers, i want to be long on pullbacks. Small size ,since it's a counter trend trade.

One 1st try got stopped out. 2nd try gave some 46 ticks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-15_1346._reverse_position.png
Views:	142
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	57418  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/cun77u.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/9x686p.jpg[/img]

I am about to get out

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Closed +22

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

day recap:

+22

net -3

Started this thread

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

mfbreakout View Post
Once a re short level is taken out by buyers, i want to be long on pullbacks. Small size ,since it's a counter trend trade.

One 1st try got stopped out. 2nd try gave some 46 ticks.

recap of the day.

+40, +60, -36, -15,+100, +46, -25= net 166 ticks.

Into Oil Pit close 94.44 was broken on 2637 cars.

So, 94.50 is first marker now.

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

mfbreakout View Post
recap of the day.

+40, +60, -36, -15,+100, +46, -25= net 166 ticks.

Into Oil Pit close 94.44 was broken on 2637 cars.

So, 94.50 is first marker now.

Great day. I like that your winners outsize your losers. I'm not familiar with the trading method you mentioned, but I'll look into it. Thanks for posting your trades and your setups. Would you be interested in participating in a simple version of a trading contest? Not really to see who is better, but to learn from?

Started this thread

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

GaryD View Post
Great day. I like that your winners outsize your losers. I'm not familiar with the trading method you mentioned, but I'll look into it. Thanks for posting your trades and your setups. Would you be interested in participating in a simple version of a trading contest? Not really to see who is better, but to learn from?

Sounds good Gary. Sign me up. I trade based off Mark Fisher- Mr. Fisher is a living trading legend- ACD trading method as detailed in his book " The logical Trader".

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Big Mike View Post
Appreciate the details.

But, is this normal for you to feel this way? I would suggest you are trading a bit too big if so.

I prefer to trade a size where my butt is firmly planted at the back of my chair, my feet are flat on the ground, I am not arched over my keyboard.... etc.

Usually if I find myself in the opposite position, it means I should get out of the trade.

I know and agree that taking trades where others refuse to take them is part of the business, but you don't have to take them with such size that you stress out.

Mike

No, not normal for me in a trade with the trend. And I did not completely realize it might be normal for countertrend trades, but am working to understand myself more.

It's not an issue of size, I have learned that lesson more than once. What you are picking up may be that my trades recently are geared towards a thought process I am going through. I posted several days/weeks ago that I exitted a trade out of fear. It was a solid winner, but the reason I got out was wrong.

I know enough not to get hurt, but I am not necessarily trying to make money as much as I am trying to shift some thought patterns. To me, my post about tasting adrenaline was the most significant realization I had for the day. May sound like I've gone off the deep end, but I am doing it with extreme clarity. More than I will ever know trading, I can know myself. And I have the belief that my approach to the markets would be better if I would tweak certain things. One of those is not care as much about the outcome. I have been repeating lately, "optimize yourself". What I mean is, find the sweet spots in your own reactions, motivations, beliefs. I wish someone could make that as easy as writing code, but the only way I can see to do that is what I am doing lately; Do the analysis, make the entry, forget the trade for a minute, look at myself. if I could do genetic testing on this, I would. If I could export to excel, I would.

Here's what I got out of today's trading; My learned reaction to the last trade I entered today would have been to close when the trade reached the 50ish area, and then look to re-enter possibly on aanother pullback the the DC. I learned to believe that, because if you look at crude's typical swing on a 6 range, the odds favor that as an optimized distance. But today, I sat and just let the market go, and worked on acknowledging my fear.

Keep in mind, the post of heart rate and adrenaline, I never noticed those things before I started trying to.

I can trade profitably. But I can't do it to where I would recommend that someone else trust me to do it for them. But, I have had the desire to do that since I took my first trade. You probably know I came into trading from a major loss elsewhere. My close friends and family lost as well, many because they had invested with me, and I'm not talking about a few hundred thousand. The real estate collapse where I live was possibly one of the worst in the US. In some ways, I may have silently chosen to be the martyr. But not forever. My goal is not to be wealthy, it's more than that. It is to find a better way.

I'm backtesting myself right now, and that can mean pushing limits and testing boundaries. What is the optimum setting for my trading beliefs and actions?

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

It is not the fear of losing a few hundred dollars on a trade. It's the fear of the unknown. Where should I get out of a good trade?

Stop losses, max drawdowns, risk as % of equity, instrument volatility... We have to put so much emphasis on those things just to survive as traders, that we may neglect other things that are potentially more important. Like, relaxing, seeing how far a trade can go, learning how far it can go, understanding what keeps us from aloowing it.

And what holds us back, in some form or another, I believe, is fear.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts