NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 599,045 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

excellent trade management Gary - once it couldn't hold above 109 it really tanked. Way to be patient and confident.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/h9qghs.jpg[/img]

+5 stop

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

closed +50. I don't like holding through the light volume. I may switch to QM overnight, but want to wait until after 6pm.

Net 1 trade +50

Did not leave for Boaston asfterall. I may fly out this coming weekend, but could be in Orlando all week

It seems everyone is scared to short CL ight now, and possibly for good reason, but when I was reading plans are being made to offset any supplu disruption, and teh overnight fall that followed, then the volume at the 618, I was short biased the rest of the day, and still am.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Surly View Post
Sure seems like CL could break higher if this pattern fails... maybe 109.50?

I don't know if this is the "right" place to short, becasue crude has not even broken the 120 minute trendline, and it was on a real run for several days. I just said to myself that I was going to pay close attention to the news on this one, and Sunsday afternoon was the first I heard about a production increase to offset the potential disruption, The this morning there was talk of possibly opening the strategic supply...

Whether it falls from here or not, that was enough to get profit taking to startm and then the massive sell volume at the 618 of the fall was the real trigger for me. I believe that was my first post today.

I waited longer than normal to enter, and was not really that surprised at the test after I got in. Crude has had such incredible momentum lately.

But, IF there seems to be a permanent fix to the Iran potential problem, I would not be shocked to see crude back below $100.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

This post from earlier shows the only real SR levels I wanted to acknowledge right now. Crude was in the middle of nowhere, so I had to wait for the volume to show where new resistance set up camp.

Started this thread

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

GaryD View Post
I don't know if this is the "right" place to short, becasue crude has not even broken the 120 minute trendline, and it was on a real run for several days. I just said to myself that I was going to pay close attention to the news on this one, and Sunsday afternoon was the first I heard about a production increase to offset the potential disruption, The this morning there was talk of possibly opening the strategic supply...

But, IF there seems to be a permanent fix to the Iran potential problem, I would not be shocked to see crude back below $100.

Gary - great to see how you are using fundamentals in your trading. I resisted using fundamentals in my trading for a long time and am now biting the bullet and trying to understand how they best fit in with my overall market understanding. I want to use them to confirm or support what I'm seeing on the chart - your observation that the weekend developments were the first news-related reason to stop buying was consistent with the strategy to short the developing resistance at 109.25 or so. Nice job on this. I'm still learning a lot from your thread.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/ky4vpm.jpg[/IMG]

OK. I just made it back to my computer and see that crude did actually make it to my target of 107.30 (and only a few cents past it) before the electronic close. I am smiling, but also feel a little anger. Maybe not anger, I'll see if a better word pops up as I go.

But, the core of things;

1) I went short after reading about the potential supply increase last night, and then patiently waiting for sellers to show themselves, which they did just as priced passed though the 618 retracement.

2) I then waited for my preferred 6-range setup at the intermediate donchian. More patience.

3) I held even as the market gave an initial 25-30 cents, only to retrace and put me into 15-20 cents of heat, and then go back down into the 50-60 cent profit range. Still great patience, and feeling good about my first relaxed day in weeks.

4) I closed the trade around the pit close, thinking I would get back in at half-size after 6pm.

5) The frustration is, after I closed, the market did exactly what I had expected it to do going into the 2:30pm close. I was really surprised it did not break down while I was in it, and had completely anticipated the move. And still missed it...

6) And, the fact that my target was 107.30 and the market bottomed at 107.27 feels more like salt in the wound than great S/R analysis.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I was actually saying out loud, to myself, while the market was hitting the pit close, "Come on, just get past this support and you're home free..."

So now, I was ready to re-enter short but am dealing with some negative emotion, and so cannot honestly say I am ready to trade. Maybe it is anger, maybe it is frustration.

I know it happens, it is ok, it was not a loss, etc. My initial response was I laughed out loud, here in my office alone. Then I said something I would not repeat here on nexusfi.com (formerly BMT).

Anyway, resistance should be in the 108.20-108.30 area, and if I can pass my own test of emotional stability this evening, I may still re-enter short there, one contract QM, with a target below this recent low pivot. And if I can't do it without some tiny bit of a need for revenge, I'll wait for a long at support tomorrow.

There are two major support areas I am watching, the blue zone is so-so, but would be where crude will take hold if it is still in the mood to run. The green support zone is really what I would like t see, as it has higher timeframe significance. That zone is more of a make or break area, and may preseent a swing opportunity.

grrr.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/h569yd.jpg[/img]

CL may have completed an ABC in the range of where it stopped, and also met the 120 minute trendline at it's reversal point.

I am upset with the market for being stubborn and for not moving on my watch, and that says I'm better off going to the gym tonight.

Short at 109.05 was a good trade. Short this close to possible support is not as good. The best move for me now is to wait until tomorrow. What the market decides to do tonight will only give more information to trade from tomorrow. Even if I went short tonight and made money, it would be a bad trade with all things considered.

(And now I hesitate, seeing if I really will hit "Enter" and turn off my computer... )

I just cracked myself up!

I'm outta here.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

NT closed, main computer shut down.

I did subscribe to the newsletter I believe Surly mentioned. I hope it is ok to post here. The news is significant in the movement if crude right now, and so I feel it is appropriate to document pieces of it here and there.

Current newsletter attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets-peak-oil-review-120227.pdf  
Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/wzvk8h.jpg[/img]

Watching for a long trade if support gets re-tested

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts