NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,654 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Approaching area of interest for possible long entry

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/qvaufm.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I am looking for a long swing entry near the daily trendline. We had volume around 12:18 showing buyers are i the 91.20 area, which is very close to trendlinge support o the daily.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/sxnhgu.jpg[/img]

We have just had the first sign of reversal, both on the 9 range (shown) and the 6 range.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/5f8ypr.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/sg9src.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Took one contract off the table at 30 ticks, moved stop up on 2nd contract.

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/vw5fc4.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

tighten stops

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/gay7db.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

GREAT volume bar - hold this trade

[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/v/rnrtnq.jpg[/IMG]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

stop moved. 30 ticks in the bank, 12 tick risk

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/76m7jx.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I don't hold into the 2:30 close. stepping out of contract #2 at 16 ticks. Sorry guys, was not watching the clock that close when I took this. Net result was a win, but should be an interesting place for tomorrow.

Started this thread

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

Nice job today @GaryD.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Getting back to how this thread started, obviously I don't find the time to post every trade as saving the image file, logging onto the chart post website and posting, copying, writing a commentry, and posting in this thread takes time and attention away from what I really want to do, which is watch the trade more closely.

Since this thread started, the turning point for several very large waves have been shown in real time, some I caught, some I missed, some I just passed and regretted it later, some I caught and let go of too early... Keep in mind that I do this as a part of my own conditioning. But I have tried to expose all those flaws and successes, so some of you can see that trading is never perfect. You just say, so what, and wait for your next opportunity...

I have been a scalper, and had weeks of 80%-90% wins. I have traded profitably for 30 trading days in a row. I have backtested systems with 80%+ win rates. But with all of those experiences, I could always find some way to give back my gains. And that is why I finally started trying to ignore the "noise" and look for larger swings, roughly 50 ticks+. I previously posted an excel file that showed why I selected the 50 tick range (highest probability for my risk to reward comfort).

Today I'm going to show you what the performance report looks like from 7/23 through today, 8/3. I have attached a PDF. It's certainly not the best performance I have had in 6 trading days, But if it is higher than where I started more often that it is lower, that's all I need to keep moving forward.

I was out of town last Thursday and Friday, so even though we have had 8 trading days, this is only a 6-day record. I trade part time right now as I also run a business, and so I have to only take the trades in the times that I am able to monitor them.

As I said at the start, the win % does not have to be that impressive to make money trading. The way I have learned to make money consistently is by taking the better setups. Since the start of this thread on July 23, I have taken a total of 44 RTs, or roughly 7 trades per day. (Sometimes I will get in and then change my mind and wait for something better, which I don't consider a "trade", but NT does. I think it also count multi-contract as multiple trades? If I guessed my average "trade" per day is 2 or 3) Some were multiple contract trades, but the overwhelming majority are single contract trades. My win % on those is only 59%. Not that impressive as a stand alone number, but my average win is roughly 2x my average loss. For me, that is the only way that I have learned to consistently stay ahead.

I wish I could show a $1000+ trade, but did not catch one since I started this. But I will.

Some of the key points that I hope to emphasize by showing the reasons I am taking trades;

1) Always be aware of timeframes from 1 minute through daily or even weekly.

2) Always watch and interpret volume.

3) Always wait for confirmation of a trend reversal, instead of trying to pick the bottom.

4) Always know where the major pivots are and where the stop losses might be.

5) Always know what the overall market direction is.

6) Always review what the average motion for your market is.

7) Learn to interpret market strcture.

8) Learn how to use fibonacci ratios (my favorite book for studying the application of fibonacci "High Probability Trading Strategies" buy Robert Miner. He cuts it down to a select few).

9) Write on your charts. Show trendlines, give yourself written clues for what to watch for.

10 ) Practice, practice, practice. Get to where you can pretty much expect what the market will do next.

This has been an interesting experience for me. I'm not sure how much longer I will continue to post, as it definately makes it harder for me to trade succesfully. Just the effort of moving back and forth between screens takes away from the focus I would typically have on a trade. That is a very large factor in why I am doing almost exclusively single contracts. (I would typically trade up to 3) But, trading is hard, extremely hard, and we all need some sort of support occasionally. I hope these posts are helping some of you. And, if you see where I could improve, please don't hold back

Stay safe!

Attached Thumbnails
Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets-ninjatrader-performance-report.pdf  
Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts