NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is Thinkorswim a good Platform for Futures Trading?

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 28 posts (30 thanks)
    2. looks_two WilleeMac with 21 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 heywally with 16 posts (11 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Cloudy with 9 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one timefreedom with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ddouglas with 3.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 heywally with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 151,317 views
    2. thumb_up 136 thanks given
    3. group 57 followers
    1. forum 200 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Is Thinkorswim a good Platform for Futures Trading?

rcs9234 
Lake Luzerne NY USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: tos
Trading: CL,YI,ES
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 1

I'm a new trader - 6 mos. - and am having poor success so far. That's probably due to emotion and impatience, and sooner or later I'll get those under control.

I use Thinkorswim as my platform and understand it pretty well. I also have demos for Trade Navigator and Ninja Trader, and can probably learn the basics of either one pretty quickly. In the long run, would I likely do better on a different platform? Will I find that "serious" futures traders tend to cluster about something else?

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
 timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

rcs9234 View Post
I'm a new trader - 6 mos. - and am having poor success so far. That's probably due to emotion and impatience, and sooner or later I'll get those under control.

I use Thinkorswim as my platform and understand it pretty well. I also have demos for Trade Navigator and Ninja Trader, and can probably learn the basics of either one pretty quickly. In the long run, would I likely do better on a different platform? Will I find that "serious" futures traders tend to cluster about something else?

If you mainly trade stocks or options, TOS is a good fit. Concerning futures, your due diligence will likely show that TOS has pretty high commissions, pretty high intra-day margin requirements, pretty slow data, pretty marginal fills, and a pretty clunky DOM relative to some of your other platform / broker choices. Also of note: the TOS paper trading modes will give you fills as soon as the market touches your price. This is fine for stocks and options, but in futures trading, most of the time price will have to trade through your price by at least a tick to secure a fill. As a result, any futures paper trading on the TOS platform is only useful for learning the platform and not for "seeing how your method would do in real trading." Good luck.

rcs9234 
Lake Luzerne NY USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: tos
Trading: CL,YI,ES
Thanks Given: 13

Really appreciate your reply.

I got into TOS by the backdoor, trading stocks in my wife's IRA account. It blossomed(?) from there. Has been too expensive, but I've been lazy while trying to decide about a new platform. Could you recommend an inexpensive futures broker?

I'm going to look at NT for several days and compare to TN.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

zer0 
Chicago, IL/USA

Platform: CTS T4/Sierra Chart
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 205

thinkorswim is far too slow for daytrading futures, but might be good enough for interday trading. Anyway, it's far too expensive. Look elsewhere. NinjaTrader is cheap (for the free version), but users tend to have a fair amount of trouble with it and the chart refresh rate is questionable if you are a frantic trader. That said, NT is generally good enough.

ilikeread 
San Mateo, CA, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 27

rcs9234 View Post

I have TOS for about 2 years and mostly using its functions in options analyzing. From all my experience and some traders I know (option trader), TOS is a must if you trade options (or learn options). TOS was awarded the best broker in many aspect. However, if your are very into futures trading and being active daytrading, the HIGH commission is a big enemy. I would strongly suggest some others. Check nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) best of trading 2010 ( Best Of Trading 2010 - Big Mike Trading) to see what other traders like.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by:
 timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

rcs9234 View Post
Really appreciate your reply.

I got into TOS by the backdoor, trading stocks in my wife's IRA account. It blossomed(?) from there. Has been too expensive, but I've been lazy while trying to decide about a new platform. Could you recommend an inexpensive futures broker?

I'm going to look at NT for several days and compare to TN.

I think you'll find NinjaTrader is a good fit if: 1. You have a computer that meets the minimum posted requirements, i.e. 2 Ghz processing speed or faster with plenty of RAM and an updated operating system. 2. You use either standard indicators or well-written indicators, @FatTails and a few other contributors to this forum write elegant indicators. You have to be careful though because some indicators can be very cpu intensive and cause anomalies / frustration, etc. 3. You use the platform for trading and charting. I mention this because I know that some others have had issues with back-testing and system optimization using Ninja. Personally, I only use Ninja to trade and chart from - and am very happy with it.

Concerning brokers, that is a personal choice. @mattz from OptimusFutures.com is highly spoken of here on this forum. MirusFutures.com, using Rosenthal Collins Group as your clearing firm is another possible choice. You will get better service from Matt and better intraday margin rates from Mirus. Also, for lower rates, you can check with Howard Lender at DeepDiscountTrading.com . The drawback there is that in order to use NinjaTrader, I believe you are limited to using the trading feed from Trading Technologies - a slightly more bundled data stream than what is offered through Rithmic and its first cousin, Zen-Fire.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

Thread Moved

Moved to ThinkOrSwim

When creating a new thread, note which subforum you are in. Here is a short list of suggestions:

- Topic: Anything to do with an Elite indicator -> Subforum: The Elite Circle
- Topic: Looking for an existing indicator, or how-to use an indicator -> Subforum: (the platform)
- Topic: Programmer needing help with non-Elite indicator -> Subforum: (the platform) - Programming
- Topic: Want an indicator created/modified -> Reply to "Want indicator created free" in Elite Circle
- Topic: Vendors (trading rooms, commercial indicators) -> Subforum: Vendors/Product Reviews
- Topic: Discussion of Forex or Currency trading -> Subforum: Forex and Currency Trading
- Topic: Journals of your trading -> Subforum: Trading Journals or Elite Trading Journals
- Topic: General trading related discussions -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Discussion of a trading method -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Automated Trading -> Subforum: Elite Automated Trading

Last, any Elite Member may create more or less any of these topics in The Elite Circle at your own discretion (your support is appreciated).

This is just a short general list and doesn't cover everything. If you are unsure where to create your new thread, just create it in Traders Hideout and a moderator will move it if necessary.

-- Big Mike Trading

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

I daytrade 1-2 trades a day using thinkorswim full time. It works just great IMO.

I paper traded for 2 years before going live.
Although tos gives you $100,000, I never put more than $20k into my trades.
20k is still the most I put in a trade live but most of the time I do around 10k.

I pay low commissions with tos. They will work with you.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
FAUGH45568
ireland

Thanks Given: 3

TOS IMHO have packed too much into their platform... to many bells and whistles...

I have never traded Futures using TOS for the pure reason of unreliability and being too slow....They have had a few issues with hanging and when I compared it to my own broker they were secs behind on DOM quotes when market picked up..

Charting is excellent though...

JMHO...

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 22, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts