NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,999,290 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

My ES spreads have been on for 24 days. Here is the performance. Slightly on margin call if the account was full.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

rsm005 
vancouver BC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Zaner360, OX
Broker: DeCaley
Trading: options
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 205

Do you have any information on how the 1/2 spread would have performed?

I'm probably going to download the files tomorrow or the day after and run a few scenarios. If you happen to have the information all the better. Thanks.

/Rsm005/

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Watching the 77 point drop at 9pm ET, I see that my spread, (EW3j18p2250(2)p2000(3)) is only 1.00 to 2.00 higher net premium from the Feb 5 settlements. At 9:15 pm ET my spread is unchanged even though futures are down 37.00.

I use halfway between bid and ask for the current option price.

The 266.75 drop from Jan 26 to Feb 5 is almost the largest point drop since 2009 (268.50 for Mar 2016 contract). But the 9.3% drop is not near the highest percentage drop since 2009 (19.3% for Dec 2011 contract).

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

It looks like I need to go from 4xIM to at least 5xIM.

Here is how the ES spread would have done if entered on the worst day of Jan 26, 2018 using 4xIM. It hit margin call.

Here is same spread with 5xIM. No margin call. But lower possible ROI of course.

I wonder if the low premiums and low Volatility made these options not work now when they worked in the past.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Crazy what higher volatility does. ES futures are down 45 now but March ES calls are priced higher.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

ron99 View Post
Crazy what higher volatility does. ES futures are down 45 now but March ES calls are priced higher.

I'm not sure whats more amazing, how much vol explodes on the downside, or how quickly it evaporates the second the market pauses it's freefall. Thanks for the updates Ron.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Now, 11:41 pm ET, my spread is up 1.00 from Monday settlement even though futures are down 74.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Do you track your delta and vega? They'll be a sweet spot at which your long option is outperforming your shorts. Sounds like your in the middle of it.

Thanked by:

Jyrgen 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradestation
Broker: IB, Tradestation
Thanks Given: 235
Thanks Received: 40

I had 2 positions of -1+2 spread open over the day. Both these positions were traded via IB account which is not ideal, but although high (ca. 840) margin per spread, it never moved much during the day.

When the volatility went crazy after market when ES was down with over -5% and I saw that the long further out of the money options started to gain value faster, so I tweaked my exit LMT order in the hopes of closing out the trade in case of volatility surge, which happened. So as weird as it sounds, managed to get out with a small profit with the -1+2 spread.

I suppose this was one of the crazy examples of where purely having more longs vs shorts helped due to the nature of the move.

The spreads I was holding were:
ES May’18 Short(1) 2400 + Long(2) 2110: entry 29/1/18 @-3.2; exit 5/2/18 @-2.8
ES May’18 Short(1)2275 + Long(2)1980: entry 2/2/18 @-3.0; exit 5/2/18 @-2.0

I wonder how much of that move is due to the heavy positions in ETN space. XIV has hit its intraday over -80% threshold meaning that by prospectus they would have to unwind their 73,000 short contracts, all in all down -84.4%

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

FWIW

Here Is What Was Behind The "Largest VIX Buy Order In History

Quoting 
This odd finding - namely that the VIX ETPs had shifted their traditional vol bias from long to short - prompted the Goldman strategist to ask glibly "Should we worry?"

Less than a month later we have the answer: Yes, Goldman, you should worry, because the historic short squeeze that took place overnight in VIX, which sent it over 100% higher - the biggest jump in history - was precisely a result of this Goldman observation, namely that ETPs were now aggressively shorting vol.

Here is what happened - as Morgan Stanley explained overnight - following this first ever shift by ETPs to net short vega, a move that in retrospect will prove to be suicidal for the entire industry, which now faces one giant termination event.

In short, "the VIX market saw the biggest net buying pressure on record." According to Morgan Stanley calculations, ETPs had to buy 282,000 VIX futures to rebalance their short gamma: "this was the largest VIX buy in history, dwarfing Friday’s previous record of 78,000." Dealers hedging their short gamma exposures likely contributed to VIX futures demand as well.

And since most of the rally in VIX futures happened after the 4:00 pm cash close, there was no time for investors or the issuers of the VIX ETPs to react.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-06/here-what-was-behind-largest-vix-buy-order-history

Another reason to be even more careful in trading now and in the future.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts