NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,001,527 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

Zero85
NYC +NY/ United States

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 10

ron99 View Post
Number 1 was customer service. You only talk to Carley. Not sometimes getting inexperienced persons at OX.

Number 2 was SPAN minimum margin. Sometimes OX increased margin above minimum without notice.

Number 3 was OX sometimes put limits on my account because I was selling options. Never happened with DeCarley.

Number 4 is lower commissions for me because of my volume at DeCarley.

Better thing at OX is you can trade stocks. For me that doesn't matter.

Thank Ron. You convinced me to register with DeCarley. Should I go with the Self Direct “Standard” account, or the Self Directed “Pro” account? I have many years of experience. Just not sure of the pros and cons of each.

Also Ron, is there a referral credit I can do so you’ll get credit? You can pm me.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Zero85 View Post
Thank Ron. You convinced me to register with DeCarley. Should I go with the Self Direct “Standard” account, or the Self Directed “Pro” account? I have many years of experience. Just not sure of the pros and cons of each.

Also Ron, is there a referral credit I can do so you’ll get credit? You can pm me.

I'm not sure of the difference. Just email Carley and ask. She answers emails very quickly.

[email protected]

I don't think she does referral credits.

I use the Zaner360 platform with Gain.

She does have a new one, City Trader. I haven't tried it yet. It is supposed to work better with doing spreads than Zaner360.

Has anybody else checked out City Trader?

I kept my OX account open so I could still get Dow Jones News and Hightower reports. You have to keep $50 in OX account to not get monthly fees.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,651

ron99 View Post

I kept my OX account open so I could still get Dow Jones News and Hightower reports.

As a customer of DeCarley you also get the daily Hightower Reports.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:
Zero85
NYC +NY/ United States

Thanks Received: 10

Thanks guys, will do. Yes, the Hightower report is excellent. Very important to keep a pulse on each market daily.

JokerTrader321
Singapore, Singapore

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 2

Hi Ron,

I've been following your progress and just wanted to say excellent work.

To overall summarize your learning/research sources in the last 700 or so pages. From what I've gathered you learnt a lot of your strategies from James Cordier's book (and self-taught of course), is there any other source you recommend? Also does Cordier's book teach futures fundamental analysis (my preferred method as i'm moving away from TA, too much headache).

Also for your daily updates/information on what you would trade, what else do you recommend? I understand you have already mentioned: US Agriculture Publications and Bloomberg Economic Calendar.

I also have accounts with SaxoTrader, what's your opinion on Saxo as an options trading platform.

thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards

ron99 View Post
I'm not sure of the difference. Just email Carley and ask. She answers emails very quickly.

I don't think she does referral credits.

I use the Zaner360 platform with Gain.

She does have a new one, City Trader. I haven't tried it yet. It is supposed to work better with doing spreads than Zaner360.

I kept my OX account open so I could still get Dow Jones News and Hightower reports. You have to keep $50 in OX account to not get monthly fees.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

JokerTrader321 View Post
Hi Ron,

I've been following your progress and just wanted to say excellent work.

To overall summarize your learning/research sources in the last 700 or so pages. From what I've gathered you learnt a lot of your strategies from James Cordier's book (and self-taught of course), is there any other source you recommend? Also does Cordier's book teach futures fundamental analysis (my preferred method as i'm moving away from TA, too much headache).

Also for your daily updates/information on what you would trade, what else do you recommend? I understand you have already mentioned: US Agriculture Publications and Bloomberg Economic Calendar.

I also have accounts with SaxoTrader, what's your opinion on Saxo as an options trading platform.

thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards

Yes Cordier's book is heavy on fundamental analysis.

Carley Garner has some books too. Videos too.

Twitter is a good source of info if you follow the right people. John Kemp for oil news for one. Dow Jones if you have access to it. Hightower daily reports. Bloomberg News. Reuters.

I have never looked at SaxoTrader.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

ron99 View Post

City Trader is the basic platform offered by Options City, who recently got bought by Vela. I know nothing about Vela, but Options City's "Metro" software is a very high end options trading and market making software used by many people that don't have their own in house software. One of their major competitors are Orc. I've seen it several times and if your option-centric it's impressive. Has a TT Xtrader Pro level price tag though.

Thanked by:
 rsm005 
vancouver BC/Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Zaner360, OX
Broker: DeCaley
Trading: options
Thanks Received: 205

This is an image shared on another thread that I thought I'd share here. This is the % return on the S&P500 every month going back throughout history.

Interesting look.

/rsm005/

Thanked by:
 choke35 
Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Other
Trading: ES, YM, 6E
Thanks Given: 5,101
Thanks Received: 6,558

Mentioning the Spoos thread as your source seems to be hard

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

On 12/30/2016 the ESh18 futures contract settled at 2227.25. On Dec 29, 2017 it settled at 2676. That's a 448.75 increase.

If you bought one future on Dec 30, 2016 at 2227.25, it would have made $22,437.50 in 2017.

If only our crystal ball was working!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts