NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,982,169 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Experience: Advanced
Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

nashvillehorizon View Post
Hi Ron,
Since you trade mostly futures, I assume all your gain/loss will be under section 1256. Do you set up a LLC for trading? Or just trade under your individual account?

I currently trade under an individual account.

I had a LLC when I had a hedge fund.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
nashvillehorizon
Nashville, TN

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 4

ron99 View Post
I currently trade under an individual account.

I had a LLC when I had a hedge fund.

I assume That would be a lot of income tax if it is under individual account. Do you plan to move to no income tax state?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,381
Thanks Received: 10,205

Many/most brokers will require you to post a personal guarantee if trading in a LLC hence negating the legal/bankruptcy protection the LLC provides you.

I'm not sure about your question on taxes. I live in a no income tax state and trade in my individual name. All futures are taxed as section 1256 contracts and hence are treated as 60% long term capital gains and 40% short term capital gains which for me is much more favorable than being taxed as income. I have a management LLC which I pay to manage my business. The LLC in turn pays for my medical, pension and gives me a salary. The salary I receive is then taxed at income rates AND incurs full self employed SS taxes. The combination of the medical & pension and the fact that the management fee is offset against the short term capital gains means this is still tax effective despite having to pay SS tax. (The SS tax is only paid on the salaries not on the whole management fee).

nashvillehorizon
Nashville, TN

SMCJB View Post
Many/most brokers will require you to post a personal guarantee if trading in a LLC hence negating the legal/bankruptcy protection the LLC provides you.

I'm not sure about your question on taxes. I live in a no income tax state and trade in my individual name. All futures are taxed as section 1256 contracts and hence are treated as 60% long term capital gains and 40% short term capital gains which for me is much more favorable than being taxed as income. I have a management LLC which I pay to manage my business. The LLC in turn pays for my medical, pension and gives me a salary. The salary I receive is then taxed at income rates AND incurs full self employed SS taxes. The combination of the medical & pension and the fact that the management fee is offset against the short term capital gains means this is still tax effective despite having to pay SS tax. (The SS tax is only paid on the salaries not on the whole management fee).

The reason I was curious about his tax setup and if he plans to relocate because this is the level of taxes for individual account: the state income tax, federal tax and NIIT tax (if MAGI over $250k). Section 1256 helps out with 40/60 ratio but after all, those taxes added up. In the mean time, if trading under Corp, it would be 21% federal tax and state in come tax. I may be wrong but a rough calculation, seems like the individual account pays for more tax.

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

But aren't C-Corp dividends taxed, meaning you'll pay tax at the C-Corp level and then again at the individual level?

Thanked by:
nashvillehorizon
Nashville, TN

SMCJB View Post
But aren't C-Corp dividends taxed, meaning you'll pay tax at the C-Corp level and then again at the individual level?

Yes that is correct. But the point is somehow rich people can structure their Corp to lower their income and tax. For example, George Soros makes less than $75,000 on his personal return (that is why he got $1,200 stimulus check).

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

For all you would be options traders out there. Interesting post/videos in another thread about pin risk. Don't know what pin risk is? If your trading options you definitely need to.

datahogg View Post
Anyone who trades options at any time should view one or both of these
videos on U-Tube.

Pin risk for stocks. Video 2 explains this. There are 90 min. after
close of market on expiration day where an option could be exercised
by the owner leaving you with a large short position over the week end
and huge losses. Not paying attention or saving minimal $ over commissions
,etc can be deadly.

The SPX is cash settled which (as far as I know) eliminates pin risk for SPX.

Now for futures (ES, NQ, etc.) . There is pin risk for futures. If you are caught
in a vertical (for example pinned ) between the short and long at expiration, you must
take possession of the underlying (on the side that is in the money).
Which in this case if a futures contract. Again you will have a large directional bias
over the weekend with the possibility of huge losses.

The solution is easy. Close out all positions before expiration.
My broker tells me that he gets a good number of calls after expiration day
about pin risk losses.

Thanked by:
henry86401
Hong Kong China

Thanks Given: 0

Just entering the selling FOP game. I have a question about margins.

I am using interactive brokers and I wanted to sell a HXEM2 put around last week but was surprised by the interactive brokers margin requirement.

How do I figure out the SPAN requirement more easily? I looked into the CME file and supposedly one can write a parser. Is there an easier way? To know more concretely how much more is interactive brokers is requiring for margin. (Sorry for my ignorance if this has already been covered in this thread.)

Is there a way to lower margins for interactive brokers or the only way is to use another broker?

Thanked by:
Symple
Zuerich / Switzerland

Thanks Given: 1,327
Thanks Received: 2,313

@henry86401

If you sell options, call or put, unprotected, no matter if they are against stocks, futures or in your case ETF, you expose yourself and the broker to the highest possible risk.

Thus, every broker, no matter where, will protect itself by charging you the full margin that it can.

If you want to have a smaller margin, then you must sell the options protected, that is you make a hedge by having the underlying value in your portfolio.

Example in your case: You first buy your "Horizons Emerging Markets Equity Index ETF" and after it is in the trading account you sell your options against it.

Depending on the delta you sell, the number of options you sell can vary.

If you want to lower the margin even more, then you can buy the underlying value first, wait until it has increased in value and at the next significant correction you sell the calls.

But as I said before: As long as you sell unprotected options every broker will give you the full margin and with the examples I have shown here, if it is not clear, you have to check in advance with the brokerage house if they even include this kind of trade in their margin calculations.

Symple

Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,687
Thanks Received: 2,651

henry86401 View Post
Just entering the selling FOP game. I have a question about margins.

I am using interactive brokers and I wanted to sell a HXEM2 put around last week but was surprised by the interactive brokers margin requirement.

How do I figure out the SPAN requirement more easily? I looked into the CME file and supposedly one can write a parser. Is there an easier way? To know more concretely how much more is interactive brokers is requiring for margin. (Sorry for my ignorance if this has already been covered in this thread.)

Is there a way to lower margins for interactive brokers or the only way is to use another broker?

There are different margins for different brokers.

I worked with @Carley Garner, who does an excellent job. She charges SPAN margins for short option positions. (I had to leave her, because the reporting was not suited for the Austrian tax authorities.)

Interactive Brokers charges significantly higher margin for naked short option positions. You can reduce this margin by a large amount selling option spreads (= sell a put option and buy a put option with the same expiry date at a lower strike).

Best regards, Myrrdin

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts