NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,949,926 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

ron99 View Post
That is not correct. Buying a call does not offset a short put. Both would lose money if the futures drop.

To offset a short put you would buy the same put and get out of the position.

Thank you for catching that, I need to start to read through what I am writing. I've unknowingly uttered several odd statements over the past few weeks, maybe I have a tumor causing abnormal typos?

As with everything else in life, if you want something you sold back, you buy it back....

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

dutchbookmaker View Post
I would like to hear about some losing trades on selling puts during the crisis and how those went down.

Blowing up is what everyone is going to be afraid of but that is going to largely be from larger funds taking illiquid positions. I assume when things start to look bad you have no trouble getting out?

Which crisis do you want to know about? 2008? The last 2 weeks? Or some other time.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Shirak View Post
Thank you for your answer Gold, much appreciated.

But say that really happens, couldn't you just hedge it via the underlying futures?

Very, very risky but possible. I have never done it. The risk is that the futures whipsaws the opposite way and you are losing more money on it than you were on the option.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

jonc View Post
do you guys build/scale into a position for options or you simple wait for a certain price had enter an entire position?

Both here. Sometimes the availability of bids limits what strikes and quantity you can do.

If they don't raise margin then I will be looking at doing more ES options because the ROI is better now. Plus plenty of quantity.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

I went back and added up my recent trading.

In the last 2.5 years I sold 8,524 options.
7,713 of them I kept to expiration and they expired worthless or OTM. 90% (none were ITM)
8,099 of them expired net profitable. 95%

Net profit 300,000+.

jonc 
australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: -
Thanks Given: 123
Thanks Received: 140

ron99 View Post
Both here. Sometimes the availability of bids limits what strikes and quantity you can do.

If they don't raise margin then I will be looking at doing more ES options because the ROI is better now. Plus plenty of quantity.

ron, had you traded options using CFD providers?

They don't seem to have a ask/bid volume and they provide options on many indices

The market had been crashing big time for the past week, I would be interested to know what kind of positions are you taking now? Selling puts?

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

jonc View Post
ron, had you traded options using CFD providers?

They don't seem to have a ask/bid volume and they provide options on many indices

The market had been crashing big time for the past week, I would be interested to know what kind of positions are you taking now? Selling puts?

What is a CFD provider?

Right now I am sitting on my hands and riding out the positions I currently have on. I have decided that you don't have to trade every day. That it's better to be safe than sorry. I will let the markets calm down before I put on new positions.

Right now my Sep GC puts, Sep & Oct NG calls and Sep KC strangles (expire Friday) are OK. My Sep 65 crude puts are feeling a little heat, but they expire in 9 days. My Sep RB 2.20 puts are feeling some heat.

My 1800 Sep GC calls are feeling the most heat. Will GC go close to 1800 in 18 days? I doubt it, but to be safe I will probably dump them. I only have 10.

Thanked by:
 jonc 
australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: -
Thanks Given: 123
Thanks Received: 140

ron99 View Post
What is a CFD provider?

Right now I am sitting on my hands and riding out the positions I currently have on. I have decided that you don't have to trade every day. That it's better to be safe than sorry. I will let the markets calm down before I put on new positions.

Right now my Sep GC puts, Sep & Oct NG calls and Sep KC strangles (expire Friday) are OK. My Sep 65 crude puts are feeling a little heat, but they expire in 9 days. My Sep RB 2.20 puts are feeling some heat.

My 1800 Sep GC calls are feeling the most heat. Will GC go close to 1800 in 18 days? I doubt it, but to be safe I will probably dump them. I only have 10.

CFD - contract for difference. notable cfd providers are cmc markets, ig markets.

Does it make sense to buy volatility now? The markets are making huge swings.

GC now look possible to break 1800 anytime but it is something I did not expect would happen in summer time

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

jonc View Post
CFD - contract for difference. notable cfd providers are cmc markets, ig markets.

Does it make sense to buy volatility now? The markets are making huge swings.

GC now look possible to break 1800 anytime but it is something I did not expect would happen in summer time

I don't trade on volatility. I sell options based on where I don't think the market is likely to go. That way I don't need the market to move a certain direction. Just not move to much against my position.

For example to others reading this thread, I could have sold 1300 gold puts when the market was at 1500. As long as the market stayed above 1400 I was fine. Of course violent moves against my position can cause problems.

It's easier to predict where the market isn't going with a cushion than to predict which way it is going with no cushion.

Yes gold is a surprise. I expected 1750-1800 this fall but not now. That is why I didn't put on many gold calls.

Thanked by:
 ron99 
Cleveland, OH

ron99 View Post

I had to dump my Sep 65 crude puts, my Sep 2.20 RB puts and my 1800 gold calls yesterday. Lost some money but still up 62% for the year. I was up 76%.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts