NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Flirting with Ichimoku Kinko Hyo

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SteveM with 23 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two BataviaTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 GFIs1 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Vlad Savinsky with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SteveM with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 futuretrader with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,404 views
    2. thumb_up 53 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Flirting with Ichimoku Kinko Hyo

futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

Massive l View Post
I traded it exclusively for a year as well.

I broke it down in as many ways as possible.
You may like it.

The last pages in the journal are the best IMO

IB Trading Ichimoku

Good luck with your trading!

Interesting thread, with quite the conclusion - I guess that's why you ended it back in March:
Another thing I noticed after tweaking ichimoku for so long was that it didn't matter the settings, price would eventually react
to every single setting I tried. It kind of makes me feel that it's of no use.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,600

Can you post a few charts please?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: Still not sure what is my favourite instrument.
Thanks Given: 464
Thanks Received: 112

Hello every one

Back from my much needed vacation. My first job as I come back is to put alerts on the currency pairs that I like to trade in. As soon as any of the alerts get triggered, I shall get back here and share my analysis.

Thanks
Steve
Be like a JAGUAR. Crouching, perfectly still, waiting for the set up to come to you, then pouncing without hesitation or thought. You only need one to feed the family
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello

I tried my hand for the first time on NQ (Sim). I am attaching my screen shot for the trade. As mentioned earlier, I am doing currency pairs and not futures. Trying my hand back on futures an right now am doing Sim only.
The strategy I used is Kumo Cloud Break Out.

Thanks
Steve
Be like a JAGUAR. Crouching, perfectly still, waiting for the set up to come to you, then pouncing without hesitation or thought. You only need one to feed the family
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NQ July28 2011.png
Views:	680
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	44918  
Thanked by:

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello

My second day on NQ (Sim). I took a Kumo Cloud Break Out Trade. Although the trade was taken at 8.30 (News Time), it was a perfect setup happening and I took the chance of taking the trade.

Kumo Cloud Break Out is a High Probability Trade Setup. It may have a bigger Stop Loss Margin requirement but as it is a high probability trade, it has more chances of winners than losers.

I am attaching a snap shot of my trade. Am going to explain a bit more about the strength of The Kumo Cloud over the weekend.

Have a great day guys.

Ps: Would like to add that I use Think or Swim as my charting platform and Ninja as my trading platform.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NQ 07292011.png
Views:	569
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	45025  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,215
Thanks Received: 101,600

Thread Moved

Moved by request of OP to Trading Journals

When creating a new thread, note which subforum you are in. Here is a short list of suggestions:

- Topic: Anything to do with an Elite indicator -> Subforum: The Elite Circle
- Topic: Looking for an existing indicator, or how-to use an indicator -> Subforum: (the platform)
- Topic: Programmer needing help with non-Elite indicator -> Subforum: (the platform) - Programming
- Topic: Want an indicator created/modified -> Reply to "Want indicator created free" in Elite Circle
- Topic: Vendors (trading rooms, commercial indicators) -> Subforum: Vendors/Product Reviews
- Topic: Discussion of Forex or Currency trading -> Subforum: Forex and Currency Trading
- Topic: Journals of your trading -> Subforum: Trading Journals or Elite Trading Journals
- Topic: General trading related discussions -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Discussion of a trading method -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Automated Trading -> Subforum: Elite Automated Trading

Last, any Elite Member may create more or less any of these topics in The Elite Circle at your own discretion (your support is appreciated).

This is just a short general list and doesn't cover everything. If you are unsure where to create your new thread, just create it in Traders Hideout and a moderator will move it if necessary.

-- Big Mike Trading

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello All

Ichimoku Kinko Hyo is a [COLOR=windowtext]trend trading[/COLOR] charting system. This indicator is built of 5 indicators and this 1 indicator by itself is considered to be a complete indicator. Best of the Ichimoku followers do not add any other indicator and do not complicate life.
Tenkan sen (Conversion Line) is a 9 period range indicator.
Kijun Sen (Base Line) is a 26 period range indicator.
The Kumo Cloud is formed by using the Senkou Span A and Senkou Span B.
Senkou Span A is an 18 periods (app.) range indicator.
Senkou B is a 52 periods range indicator.
Chikou Span (Lagging Line) is today’s closing price shifted back 26 periods. This is a momentum indicator.
These are range indicators and not regular moving average indicators, unlike many who call them as yet another set of moving average indicators. These are the indicators with the volatility built in (High and Low Divided by 2) in a bar. They are different from regular moving average indicators as each and every moving average indicator is made from the closing price. The moving average does not have the volatility built in hence at times it gives false signals.
Senkou Span A acts as a Minor Support / Resistance and Senkou Span B acts as a Major Support / Resistance.
Current Bar above the Kumo Cloud means the trend is for going further high up. The top of the Cloud (Senkou A) is the first level of support and the bottom of the cloud (Senkou B) is the second and a bigger level of support.
Current Bar below the Kumo Cloud means the trend is for going further down. The bottom of the Cloud (Senkou A) is the first level of resistance and the top of the cloud (Senkou B) is the second and a bigger level of resistance.
I am not going through the formulas. Anyone looking to learn more about the formula and the calculation may kindly go in here: [COLOR=black]http://www.kumotrader.com/ichimoku_wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page[/COLOR]

More on Kumo Cloud soon.

Guys, Please ask questions as I am not very comfortable writing on my own. Will do my best though.

Have a wonderful weekend all.

Thanks
Steve
Thanked by:

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello Every One

Once again, I was on NQ (Sim). I think I am getting more comfortable on NQ then on TF. After the 10.00 AM News (ISM Manufacturing), and the negative numbers, the market is falling down. However, I am not in the trade as I had already taken my trade and reached my target for the day as well as the next level of Support. The market has been 34 points down in NQ from my exit, but that does not bother me. Am not getting into any trade any more. Done for the day. I could have waited a bit longer and encashed on Kumo Break Out Strategy but did not do so as I already was 7 points up and was not going to let go my profit. Locked in 6.5 points, the market surged back, kicked me out and started to fall and I am fine with it. Just my thoughts.

Here is the snap shot of my trade.

I also have to make a request to traders who are reading this: Please ask me questions as I am not a very good writer on my own.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NQ 08012011.png
Views:	438
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	45176  
Thanked by:

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Thickness of the Kumo Cloud plays an important role. The thicker the cloud, the more consolidation range and less likely for the price to cross over to the other side of the cloud. Thinner cloud means more chances for the price break through on to the other side , which means the shift of the trend. It really does not matter if Senkou Span A is above or below Senkou Span B on the cloud. What matters is the thickness.

Crossover of the price onto the other side of the cloud is important. Unlike many Ichimoku Analysts, who believe that it does not matter when the price crooses over to the other side of the cloud, on the contrary, my personal opinion (with back testing) shows that a crossover of the price on the other side of the cloud means a trend reversal in formation.

Thanks
Steve
Thanked by:

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello

I have not been taking any Futures' trades lately, due to the high volatility and the demand for the stop loss based on my system, being huge. My stop loss is Kijun Sen +/- a Buffer. Due to the sudden surge in the price and the Kijun not moving as much, the margin requirement (as per my strategy, for putting in a Stop Loss along with my entry) is huge. Therefore I have decided to stay away from these volatile markets and take some rest.

Thanks
Steve
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 2, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts