NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Flirting with Ichimoku Kinko Hyo

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SteveM with 23 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two BataviaTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 GFIs1 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Vlad Savinsky with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Massive l with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SteveM with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 futuretrader with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,296 views
    2. thumb_up 53 thanks given
    3. group 31 followers
    1. forum 51 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Flirting with Ichimoku Kinko Hyo

pedrobraz 
Lisboa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, MT4
Broker: interactive brokers
Trading: gold , silver , 6e , CL
Thanks Given: 416
Thanks Received: 2

Hi

I am also a ichimoku fan

Do you trade M15, M60 h4 an daily charts?

What time frame do you prefer?

A flat cloud could attract prices. Donīt you care about that?

During events/ news do you take trades on a stop after the cloud has been reached?

How can we project the point of the cloud where the breakout can happen?

Kind regards

Keep the good work

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Amp Futures/ Zen-Fire
Trading: Still not sure what is my favourite instrument.
Thanks Given: 464
Thanks Received: 112

Hello pedrobraz

Good to hear that some one out there is an Ichinoku fan as well.

>>>> I use 2 set of time frames for 2 kinds of trading.

For day trading I use a 10 minute and a 120 minutes (2 hour) chart and for my longer time frame trading, I use 120 minutes (2 hour) and a daily chart. Although I prefer 2 hour and daily set of charts as it gives me more independence to do other things as compared to being glued to the monitor, all day long.

Most definitely YES. Flat cloud does attract price. But before it reaches the cloud, we have another support / resistence which could hold the price from going any further and that is Kijun Sen.

I use Kijun Sen +/- a buffer for my stops. If during the news time, my stop loss does not get hit and there is not too much of a gap between my price and the stop loss, I do not care and remain in my trade. However, if I find that my stop loss is too big as compared to my target of profit (Long or Short), I do trade out and do not wait for stop loss to be hit. I wait for my next opportunity thereafter.

There is no projection as to what is going to happen, even if the price is around the cloud. Price in the cloud (I am sure you know) is consolidation. However, to be able to project whether the price is likely to break the cloud or be held by the cloud (namely Senkou Span A and Senkou Span B), one has to go to the higer time frame and analyse whether it the higher time frame that is going to influence the trading time frame or it is the trading time frame which is going to influence the higher time frame.

Hope this explaination is helpful.

pedrobraz View Post
Hi

I am also a ichimoku fan

Do you trade M15, M60 h4 an daily charts?

What time frame do you prefer?

A flat cloud could attract prices. Donīt you care about that?

During events/ news do you take trades on a stop after the cloud has been reached?

How can we project the point of the cloud where the breakout can happen?

Kind regards

Keep the good work

Thanks
Steve
Be like a JAGUAR. Crouching, perfectly still, waiting for the set up to come to you, then pouncing without hesitation or thought. You only need one to feed the family
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello Everyone

Seeing every one doing CL, I decided to give it a try on CL based on my strategy of Kumo Break Out (Sim) Only).

It was great trade with 46 pips in the pocket and it being a runner (155 Pips) but I did not ride it.

Attached is the chart.

Thanks
Steve
Be like a JAGUAR. Crouching, perfectly still, waiting for the set up to come to you, then pouncing without hesitation or thought. You only need one to feed the family
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL Aug15 2011.png
Views:	468
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	46458  

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello Again every one

My second day on CL. I am not much of a writer so I will share my trade with the help of a chart. Hope this chart will be self expanatory.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL Aug16 2011.png
Views:	422
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	46534  

ticker 
Houston TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 9

Hi SteveM,
I am a recent fan of Ichimoku, wish I had seen it years ago. I find the Kumo Cloud breakouts to be great entries... often leading to a runner. However, I cant quite put together a good strategy for setting profit targets. How do you determine where to set your profit targets?

Many thanks for your posts and insights.

Ticker

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

SteveM View Post
Hello Everyone

Seeing every one doing CL, ...

because the rest has moved at molasses pace, es starts picking up somewhat.

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

First of all my apologies to all the followers of Ichimoku for not being consistent in my journal. I have had my tough luck with softwares and once each and every issue with my softwares were solved my computer hard drive crashed and I lost everything (pretty much). Am still in the process of installing all my softwares and setting up my charts. So Please bare with me.

@ ticker: According to me Ichimoku is a great tool. I do not add any indicator whatsoever along with this indicator. Also, I am a big fan of Kumo Break Out Trades. This trade is invariably a runner. Once you have entered akumo break out trade, you need to scroll backwords and see of there is any flat part of Kijun Sen. That could be your target. If you do not find any flat Kijun Sen, then you could look for a flat Senkou B, by scrolling back. In case you feel there is none, then you may go to a higher time frame and determine any flat Tenkan Sen, Kijun Sen, Senkou B or even Senkou A. You will surely be able to find some within the vicinity. AND in case you feel (with regards to currency trades), there is nothing in the past to scroll back, then you will have to tighten your stop by being as close as possible to the Tenkan Sen so that you can maximise your profits.

Hope this helps.

ticker View Post
Hi SteveM
I am a recent fan of Ichimoku, wish I had seen it years ago. I find the Kumo Cloud breakouts to be great entries... often leading to a runner. However, I cant quite put together a good strategy for setting profit targets. How do you determine where to set your profit targets?

Many thanks for your posts and insights.

Ticker

Thanks
Steve

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Have not been trading since more then a week now, but seeing the way the market is moving, wondering whether to go back to ES or stick to CL ...... lol

cory View Post
because the rest has moved at molasses pace, es starts picking up somewhat.

Thanks
Steve

SteveM 
Toronto, Canada

Hello

After about 10 days of gap, I took my trade on TF. CL had already started to move when I opened up my platforms and was not willing to jump in the moving market. Took on etrade on TF and made 68 Ticks. Done and over with for the day. Attached is my chart for people who are interested in looking at it.

Extremely sorry if I am causing inconvenience to any one ....................

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TF Aug 29 2011.png
Views:	447
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	47654  
stretch
Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 0

Steve -

Noobie here - trying to get some traction. Have sim'ed daytrading with a couple of different platforms for a couple of years (while my buy and hold efforts did poorly). Some say trading is simple and that may be correct when one looks at a chart at 4pm EST, but getting a handle on it real time is certainly not easy. I have discovered one can spend a good amount of effort only to learn there are quite a few dead-ends. Your Ichimoku thread looked promising, and I thank you for stepping out in public with it.

May I ask, what has been your experience with Ichimoku since your most recent post here?

Hope your physical recovery was short and favorable.

Thanks.

Last Updated on March 2, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts