NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Back to the Future

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one BTTFT Michael with 27 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two gg80108 with 26 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tradingonvolume with 20 posts (44 thanks)
    4. looks_4 dandxg with 16 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 3.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two tradingonvolume with 2.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 BTTFT Michael with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 gg80108 with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 183,948 views
    2. thumb_up 402 thanks given
    3. group 76 followers
    1. forum 290 posts
    2. attach_file 63 attachments

Back to the Future

BTTFT Michael 
East Bend

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation, MetaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Kinetick
Trading: Futures, Oil, Gold, NQ
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 67

Hello Friend,

It's important to note a few things here - if you would pass them along to your friend.

The software we've engineered isn't a stand along, black-box trading system. Its an analysis tool - on par with a volume indicator, or an order flow analysis tool. A black box trading system, or what is commonly referred to as an "up arrow down arrow" system is historically marketed as a "take every signal get rich" narrative....something we don't participate in because without exception, such ploys are one way roads to account losses.

Historically, the overwhelming number of traders use non-black box analysis tools - like volume or time, as a confirmation indicator to verify a setup they are studying. In the case of a TIME tool, a trader might examine a particular window of time, seeing that historically the market has a recurrence of buying activity in a certain window of time over a period of a few week's look back.

Some traders will also use an analysis tool like volume, OFA, or in our case TIME as a stand alone entry. That's fine, provided 3 boxes are "ticked off" in the process. Something I hope your friend follows procedurally speaking

A. Define a setup. Setup defined as having a mechanical entry with non-discretionary rules. I historically advocate a trend following entry - as in my experience about 60%+ traders that are reporting net profitability are trend trading. Minimally a 2:1 risk reward ratio (or higher) averaging around a 44-46% profitability. I also think a break even component is great to involve, ie not letting a winner turn into a loser. I find that a BE component at 150% of risk is a great place to start.

B. Backtesting the setup prior to using any live money in trading. Generally speaking, we want to see new users with a 100-200 data point backtest which carries a margin of error of +/- 10%. Once the backtest of the setup is complete, a forward test that has no more than a 10% degradation of success in SIM to verify the setup is achievable (good fills, no horrific slippage, etc)

So if your friend was using the standard Warp settings on a YM3M chart, I'd explore a model like this one (if he was attempting a stand alone signal only entry model)

https://www.screencast.com/t/Utidra7hMX

There's a known stop (above the line) with a 2:1 RR at each of the entry points (I draw a FIB with a 0,100, -150, -200 to help me draw it out for stops and targeting quickly). In a scenario like that, we ignore the countrend timing windows and focus on the trend windows (times that align with the prevailing trend, ie 120EMA or whichever trend line a trader is comfortable using).

C. A developed money management plan, on par with what Ryan Jones teaches in his book, "The Trading Game". I advocate an equity curve SMA crossover strategy for new traders to help them identify when to be live, and when to be in SIM. In a trend trading model for example, using any methodology for entry, it's not uncommon for markets to go into a consolidation phase where the model is ineffective. Jone's money management strategy (using the SMA crossover technique) can prevent horrific drawdowns, and create a plateau effect - waiting for the trend conditions which are favorable to the model to come back.

There's a great free tutorial that expands on those concepts of risk management here - if you can pass along to your friend:

Also, important to note as a software engineering company (vs. a CTA or trading room) customers don't share their personal account information with us usually. If I knew who the person was (you can PM me if you want) I'd advise them that they are probably severely undercapitalized at a $6,000 account. A $500 drawdown equates to a nearly 10% account drawdown which historically derails a trader psychologically and causes them to abandon their mechanical rulesets and do the typical things (move stops/targets/average in/deploy discretion randomly/analysis paralysis etc).

A 6K account would almost necessitate these 3 steps outlined be followed religiously IMO to preserve the capital in the account.

If you'd like to meet - the 3 of us (you and your friend) I'd be happy to include you both in the conferences. We can record the sessions...build a strategy together with him - go over the rules, do the backtesting, monitor the forward testing, and then construct the money management protections before he goes live with anything. If we follow that process, he shouldn't be live trading until at least 4-5 weeks from now. Let me know via email if that's something you'd like to do ([email protected]).

If he doesn't follow those steps, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly - he might as well put it down on Brady as his chances would be better.

-Michael

TheBenefactor View Post
I guess we will find out about this Back to the Future indicator.

Without consulting me, a friend ordered it last week.

He has only traded stock options before so any success he achieves will certainly not be attributed to his expertise.

In 35 years of trading "I have never found some black box guru stand alone software that consistently made money."

But if you guys want I will report on his results.

He will trade one contract on the Dow YM with a $6,000 account.

I said he might have a better chance at taking a $6,000 bet against Tom Brady this weekend but he is adamant.
We will see.
TB

Please send me a Private Message if you have any questions about BTTFT services
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

TheBenefactor 
Pensacola FL

Shows you not to take my football bet advice.

My friend would have lost his $6,000 betting on Brady, LOL.

Good news about my friend. His $6,000 account is up to $10,300.

He did not provide an accurate accounting of the software. He also began subscription to a trading alert service ( I will not mention their name because I would be rightfully labeled a promoter and I do not subscribe).

One of the traders in the service got my friend short the day after I posted his test of the software on Friday. As luck would have it he immediately caught a runner.

While he was short (been mostly short this week) he was catching great runners.

He did monitor the BTTF signals but could not take them because he was already in a trade.

He did report that the short signals looked very good and timely the long signals not so good but a couple could have made a little bit.

That of course is not useful as a report. Just wanted to update people.

Maybe next week he can come up with a better, more meaningful report.

Thanks for your ideas Michael BTTF. I was able to give my friend a few ideas. I had a significant career with a couple of our top investment banks in New York. We managed corporate underwriting and trading.

If we did not manage risk properly our careers would have been finished.

That is why I did not bet for or against Brady. I do not professionally understand sports bookings.

Maybe in my next life I will run a Vegas book, LOL.

TB

jmh13 
Belize SA

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Ninja
Trading: DC
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 129

Ran calls for 30 days and it does give 70-75 % winners. These are the results I got from live trades. I am not a member or do not own the software. Trades from weekly list provided by BTTF.

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,854

jmh13 View Post
Ran calls for 30 days and it does give 70-75 % winners. These are the results I got from live trades. I am not a member or do not own the software. Trades from weekly list provided by BTTF.

Oh boy oh boy. Is Michael still at it or has he gone back to 1955?

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
--------------------------------------------------------

jmh13 
Belize SA

Took his trade calls live and I got 70ish % wins. Time to time with trend filter.

Thanked by:

jmh13 
Belize SA

ES 5 Min chart

8:30 Long Time out -.75

9:35 Long +2.00, runner BE

11:05 Long +2.00 runner BE

12:25 Long +.50 Time out

1:40 Long +1.75 Time out

Not a subscriber to this vendor.

Thanked by:

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

This software written for Ninja Trader 8 purports to forecast exact time-of-day to place a trade.
https://backtothefuturetrading.com/tacheon-time-warp/

Thanked by:

romus 
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Legendary Wicked Trader

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: SPI
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 1,975
Thanks Received: 3,154

syswizard View Post
This software written for Ninja Trader 8 purports to forecast exact time-of-day to place a trade.
https://backtothefuturetrading.com/tacheon-time-warp/

No, it does not.
It only shows averages of the given indicator for the day or time of the day.
Not any better than Fat Tails indicator doing this without over $2000 price tag.

After buying the NT7 package while ago I cannot even get promised upgrade for most of the indicators, unless I pay more.

The only reliable forecast I have made is to keep going without $2500 in my trading account! :-)
Cheers!

When nothing goes right... go left
Thanked by:

BTTFT Michael 
East Bend

Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation, MetaTrader
Broker: Mirus/Kinetick
Trading: Futures, Oil, Gold, NQ
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 67

romus View Post
No, it does not.
It only shows averages of the given indicator for the day or time of the day.
Not any better than Fat Tails indicator doing this without over $2000 price tag.

After buying the NT7 package while ago I cannot even get promised upgrade for most of the indicators, unless I pay more.

The only reliable forecast I have made is to keep going without $2500 in my trading account! :-)
Cheers!

I'm happy to provide you with the NT8 version, free of charge - per our promise of free upgrades.

You can email me, [email protected], or call me (336)703-7667 and I'd be happy to send you the PRIME files (updated Flux) for NT8 immediately.

If you're free, Rachel can do a white glove installation for you via GotoMeeting and make sure it's installed correctly.

Apologies for any inconvenience you've had to date - with all sincerity.

Michael

Please send me a Private Message if you have any questions about BTTFT services
Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

romus 
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Legendary Wicked Trader

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: SPI
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 1,975
Thanks Received: 3,154

BTTFT Michael View Post
I'm happy to provide you with the NT8 version, free of charge - per our promise of free upgrades.

You can email me, [email protected], or call me (336)703-7667 and I'd be happy to send you the PRIME files (updated Flux) for NT8 immediately.

If you're free, Rachel can do a white glove installation for you via GotoMeeting and make sure it's installed correctly.

Apologies for any inconvenience you've had to date - with all sincerity.

Michael

Offer accepted.
I will contact you and Rachel for upgrade.

Regards,
romus.

When nothing goes right... go left
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 26, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts