NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Square of Nines levels... comparing ensign to Ninja Trader

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Saroj with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two timefreedom with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jsengxx2 with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Drd13 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two waqarshah with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 timefreedom with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Saroj with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,459 views
    2. thumb_up 14 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Square of Nines levels... comparing ensign to Ninja Trader

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: index futures, oil
Thanks Given: 232
Thanks Received: 415

Here are the ones generated by ensign (built in) which I (and many others) have found to be useful... the ones from the two Ninja custom indicators are different... I'm exploring how to get "good" ones... any comments would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ensign SON levels.png
Views:	703
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	100  
Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
34 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 Prtester 
SE-Asia

Broker: Amp
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 124

which indicators you have (Who is the author?)

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

Pr, those are automatically generated from ensign... I've looked at the two offerings for NT in the NT forum and the values are not the same... since I've been watching ensign SON levels for over a year now in ES, I trust them, but I don't know how they are calculated.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,608

Some info I found on Square of Nine:

(source: ehow.com)
Introduction

The Square of Nine trading method, also known as Gann's pyramid, is a way of using geometry to forecast the moods of the market. The two variables at issue here are time and price. For instance, the most extreme market reactions that are typically seen, such as very high highs and low lows, appear to occur during weeks that are squares of odd numbers.
Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Things You'll Need

Steps

Step One

Trade stocks according to cyclic principles, geometric patterns and square roots if you want to beat the system--if W.D. Gann is to be believed, that is. Mr. Gann, the inventor of the Square of Nine principle, espoused this system about a century ago, and it's still going strong today, with software available to help you calculate the best time and price for your trades.

Step Two

Know that the Square of Nine theory puts time and price into a graphic representation and measures the angle between them. The theory is that, when the angle is at or close to 90 degrees, the stock will experience a major shift.

Step Three

Keep your eye on a stock or industry and watch for highs and lows for specific time periods, from days to months to years. Calculate angles between these "tipping points" and the next day's or week's prices. It's usually easiest and fastest to simply allow Gann software to make these calculations for you.

Step Four

Give the variables of time and price equal weight. This will allow you to see the relationship between them on a 1:1 scale, which is what's needed for angle calculations. It isn't the numbers that are important but the spatial relationships between the variables.

Step Five

Day trade your stocks, mutual finds, bonds, currencies or other commodities using this system by understanding when an angle is ascendant, when it is descendant and where the price is in relationship to these angles. The Square of Nine theory proposes that a stock price will continue to move in a certain direction within an angle until it breaks the angle.

Step Six

Know that this stock-trading theory uses past stock or commodity performance to predict future movement, which is something that many market pundits say isn't always viable. However, if you choose to day trade using the Square of Nine principles, know that Mr. Gann was firmly convinced of the cyclic nature of the market and the repetitive behaviors of both stocks and market players.

Tips & Warnings

• Note the Square of Nine trading is one of the more advanced (and obscure) market forecasting techniques and is not the domain of the new-to-trading day trader.
  • Find a Gann Wheel at Gann Trading (see Resources below).
  • Know that some traders equate Square of Nine trading with astrology. Its principles have been called into question many times over the century that it's been in use.
Resources

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

I use the SON levels very simplistically... just another SR level to watch. Gann is a tad too esoteric for me and I think there is enough chart info to trade well without going into a deep study of it. I really have no opinion on whether they work because of the Gann theories or because enough traders pay attention to them... but it is clear to me that price reacts at those levels... I call it the SON dance... typically there is a clear reversal or at the very least bouncing around which forms a congestion area.

rassi 
the congo

Experience: Advanced
Platform: North sea oil rig
Trading: Cl
Thanks Given: 1,563
Thanks Received: 1,199

i know many who use ensign ad swear blind by the SON levels they provide, often an impulse move will stop and reverse there so they will exit or at least take one position off. the more i watch them the better they get!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

I'm bringing these SON files into the mix in hopes that someone who has esignal can open them up and post the code...

Reason? because of the two NT indicators I have, one (SquareOfNine.cs) bogs down NT so much that it is nearly unusable without a very powerful system; the other (SquareOf9_V6.cs) doesn't display two of the line types (InputAngle000Color & InputAngle180Color) don't plot at all.. the latter doesn't appear to be such a hog, but I'm testing it early morning and the volume is light.

Square of Nine doesn't change for days at a time. It really doesn't need to be calculated more than once a day... twice at the most. So that's one aspect that "should" dial into the indicator optimization... I'm still getting a handle on NT indicator handling, but since NT does NOT have global variables, I assume that it wants to refigure each indicator on every bar... if that assumption is true, then there could be a test at the beginning of the procedure code that tests to see if it has already been calculated and simple load up the last value without recalculating it.

The other thing I'd be interested in is how it figures the "anchor" value. That forms the basis of the rest of the calculations. I noticed when I used to have both ensign and NT open at the same time that the lines were close but not exact. I suspect it is because the anchor value was not the same although I can't be sure. The SON code in ensign was built in so not accessible for viewing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SquareOf9.png
Views:	796
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2204  
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: SquareOfNine1.txt
Elite Membership required to download: SquareOfNine2 - lite.txt

Saroj 
Arcata, CA

I'm attaching this here rather than in the Download area because it doesn't seem to be working correctly. However if the code is more efficient, it would be worth comparing to the "hog" (SquareOfNine,cs)

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: SquareOf9_V6.zip
Thanked by:
 gio5959 
Chiron

Experience: None
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: Amp Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 155

Saroj View Post
I'm bringing these SON files into the mix in hopes that someone who has esignal can open them up and post the code...

Reason? because of the two NT indicators I have, one (SquareOfNine.cs) bogs down NT so much that it is nearly unusable without a very powerful system; the other (SquareOf9_V6.cs) doesn't display two of the line types (InputAngle000Color & InputAngle180Color) don't plot at all.. the latter doesn't appear to be such a hog, but I'm testing it early morning and the volume is light.

Square of Nine doesn't change for days at a time. It really doesn't need to be calculated more than once a day... twice at the most. So that's one aspect that "should" dial into the indicator optimization... I'm still getting a handle on NT indicator handling, but since NT does NOT have global variables, I assume that it wants to refigure each indicator on every bar... if that assumption is true, then there could be a test at the beginning of the procedure code that tests to see if it has already been calculated and simple load up the last value without recalculating it.

The other thing I'd be interested in is how it figures the "anchor" value. That forms the basis of the rest of the calculations. I noticed when I used to have both ensign and NT open at the same time that the lines were close but not exact. I suspect it is because the anchor value was not the same although I can't be sure. The SON code in ensign was built in so not accessible for viewing.

did you see the sq9 script that rich from taylor trading technique posted yesterday - with his sq9 you can anchor a price manually - prudy nice feature

if not i can provide it for you

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
kenz987
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 5

Does anyone have code for Gann's Hexagon chart?

Last Updated on November 16, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts