NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syxforex with 31 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,290 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

I agree that it is a good product for discretionary intraday futures traders, but that is not the only way to trade. That was my point.

I'm pretty sure that the few who make it through the combine are the same people who would've made it on their own, but the service opens doors for underfunded talented traders, of course.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 syxforex 
British Columbia

Platform: NINJA
Broker: ZEN
Trading: Crude

I think the program is good for anybody really, discretionary or systematic, rich or poor, because who can really afford to learn this game with a 150,000 of risk capital and 15 lot buying power. Decamillionaires can't afford this because anybody starting out at this game underestimates the challenge and 99% will lost 100% of their risk capital. Every trader needs to prove they have mastered the concepts of risk management in sim before trading real money. Simming on your own is not the same, sitting in a room somewhere in isolation pretending to trade is not going propel you along the learning curve, on the contrary, it will be far from realistic and more likely to bring about bad habits. For those that pass the combine perhaps it is true that they could have done it on their own but the regimented process of the combine and the experiential knowledge sharing and team working environment definitely accelerated their learning curves. All of the live traders who have passed the combine will attest to that. But to be sure, few will pass, it's a tough game, a brutally tough way to make a living, the challenge that it is should not be underestimated. It will not happen overnight, it will take a minimum of one year's practice, but in most cases it is more like 2-3 years to reach a level of competency. The combine process can shorten this down by a good 30-50% I would think, by keeping people on the right developmental track and learning from others and by doing etc. Anyways, just looking at my stuff now, most of my ideas are impossible for a human to trade, very discouraging. Just trying to nail down an approach for this combine. The opportunities that are available to manual trading seem to be more and more on the larger time frames, whatever that means these days. What is your swing frame?

Aussielad 
Sydney

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 21

It appears that Topsteptrader has nearly the doubled the prices for participants who wish to enter their Combines.

With the doubling of the prices, Topsteptrader should not therefore be surpised to find that not many people from now on will use their services!

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,348

Lornz View Post
.... I really wish there was something like that available when I got started; I would have been able to compound at a much faster pace ....

Good luck with your combine!

But then you wouldn't be the self made man you are today.... ...

Aussielad View Post
It appears that Topsteptrader has nearly the doubled the prices for participants who wish to enter their Combines.

With the doubling of the prices, Topsteptrader should not therefore be surpised to find that not many people from now on will use their services!

Maybe that's their intention ... to screen out more applicants.

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
Thanked by:
 mavinwiz 
arcadia

Platform: Ninja
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 22

I think the raised prices is a filtering process. Getting more committed people to try it. People however still have to realize that's it a raised DEPOSIT. Even if you don't hit the profit goals, those who meet 2 out of 4 trading performance statistics have the option of getting their deposit returned. That's pretty mind boggling from a business perspective.

They are giving you a chance to earn your money back. How many places can you say do that? The goal is to find and filter good traders and even reward those who show competency.

From the FAQ section:

Yes. The deposit will be refunded at the end of the Combine if the account balance is above the initial balance, daily loss limit was not hit AND 2 out of 4 of the performance requirements* have been met, which are as follows:

- Overall Average Win greater than Overall Average Loss
- Overall Average Win Duration greater than Overall Average Loss Duration
- Largest Winning Day greater than Largest Losing Day
- Total Win % greater than 45%

Aussielad 
Sydney

Platform: Ninjatrader
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 21

By doubling the prices of the combine, it really cannot be argued that Topstep wishes to tighten up the screening process.

From various press releases that have been done on Topsteptrader, the CEO, Patek mentions that 95 per cent of people who enter the Combines fail to become a funded trader.

Therefore, by doubling the prices of the combines in effect doubles the revenue of the Topsteptrader Site, that is if demand will remain constant for their services.

As a prediction, in future there will be less and less people signing on, and Topsetp Trader will have no choice but to decrease the price of entry to attract people to use it.

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,348

Aussielad View Post
By doubling the prices of the combine, it really cannot be argued that Topstep wishes to tighten up the screening process.

From various press releases that have been done on Topsteptrader, the CEO, Patek mentions that 95 per cent of people who enter the Combines fail to become a funded trader.

Therefore, by doubling the prices of the combines in effect doubles the revenue of the Topsteptrader Site, that is if demand will remain constant for their services.

As a prediction, in future there will be less and less people signing on, and Topsetp Trader will have no choice but to decrease the price of entry to attract people to use it.

If it is cost prohibitive to deal with so many new applicants .... double the price... cut the applications in half ... same income stream... lower cost... higher net profit

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

syxforex View Post
I think the program is good for anybody really, discretionary or systematic, rich or poor, because who can really afford to learn this game with a 150,000 of risk capital and 15 lot buying power. Decamillionaires can't afford this because anybody starting out at this game underestimates the challenge and 99% will lost 100% of their risk capital. Every trader needs to prove they have mastered the concepts of risk management in sim before trading real money. Simming on your own is not the same, sitting in a room somewhere in isolation pretending to trade is not going propel you along the learning curve, on the contrary, it will be far from realistic and more likely to bring about bad habits. For those that pass the combine perhaps it is true that they could have done it on their own but the regimented process of the combine and the experiential knowledge sharing and team working environment definitely accelerated their learning curves. All of the live traders who have passed the combine will attest to that. But to be sure, few will pass, it's a tough game, a brutally tough way to make a living, the challenge that it is should not be underestimated. It will not happen overnight, it will take a minimum of one year's practice, but in most cases it is more like 2-3 years to reach a level of competency. The combine process can shorten this down by a good 30-50% I would think, by keeping people on the right developmental track and learning from others and by doing etc. Anyways, just looking at my stuff now, most of my ideas are impossible for a human to trade, very discouraging. Just trying to nail down an approach for this combine. The opportunities that are available to manual trading seem to be more and more on the larger time frames, whatever that means these days. What is your swing frame?

I both swing/position and trade intraday. My trading is not time frame dependent, but purely event-driven.

I agree that the program looks is a good way to take sim trading seriously. I actually checked it out last year, when I tried to get my brother to start trading.

For the record, I never sim traded. I sat and observed the market, did some statistical analysis, prayed to a higher power, and consequently kicked ass!

It's hard to justify taking a few weeks off to do sim trading, then have to give up 20% and pay much more in commissions. But, like I stated earlier, it seems like an excellent solution for underfunded traders and beginners wanting a more realistic simulated experience....

Alright, I'm done..

By the way, my results exceed the combine requirements every week!

syxforex 
British Columbia

This is not true. When they started there was one combine, it still exists, the price has not changed. They have added a number of different combine options however. In every combine the trader must reach the profit objective and stay within the rules. The rules are simple, you need to meet two of three. If a trader goes through the combine and does not meet the profit objective but does stay within the rules, the next combine is free, rolled over. On my last one I met 70% of the profit objective and adhered to all three rules, hence, the one I start tomorrow will cost me nothing, it is free if you can at least stay within the rules. Most, however, cannot even do this.

Aussielad View Post

syxforex 
British Columbia

If what you say is true, it is very impressive Lornz. I agree the time factor is killer, I am in a very tough spot right now for all the time I have dedicated to this process. I personally think the value of a 20% payout on risk capital is a pretty good deal, considering all of the benefits of having a risk manager in the background and a network of really solid people to work with. The network is very good, better than trading alone I think. And when I get down to paradise and have an internet outage or the algos shut down the nymex again it will be nice to know know that my risk manager on the floor in Chicago will be there to take care of things... this cannot be understated...

Lornz View Post
I both swing/position and trade intraday. My trading is not time frame dependent, but purely event-driven.

I agree that the program looks is a good way to take sim trading seriously. I actually checked it out last year, when I tried to get my brother to start trading.

For the record, I never sim traded. I sat and observed the market, did some statistical analysis, prayed to a higher power, and consequently kicked ass!

It's hard to justify taking a few weeks off to do sim trading, then have to give up 20% and pay much more in commissions. But, like I stated earlier, it seems like an excellent solution for underfunded traders and beginners wanting a more realistic simulated experience....

Alright, I'm done..

By the way, my results exceed the combine requirements every week!

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts