NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syxforex with 31 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,290 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Turveyd View Post
Monthly fee and $100 to restart a combine any time you like I read it as, $150 +2 restarts $200 in a month this could get silly.

Of course until we know of 1 real verifiable person that's made $1 off TS I wouldn't get too excited personally.

I'm always a little surprised by this kind of comment, to the effect that no one has verifiably made any money with TsT, and look at how high the fees are. Must be a scam, or something. (Not trying to jump on you, @Turveyd, or anyone else, just saying that there's another view that's supported by the evidence.)

I'm not going to mention any names, because it's not for me to drag other people into the conversation without their knowledge and their OK. (I realize that some people will laugh and say, "That's because there aren't any.") But in fact there have been quite a few former and present posters on futures.io (formerly BMT) who have done just that. Some currently trade actively with TsT. Some have been quite prominent as futures.io (formerly BMT) posters.

Old hands who read other peoples' posts will have come across them.

Do I think there are just a whole bunch of happy little TsT'ers who are making big bucks trading with them? Hell, no. I don't think there are many posters on futures.io (formerly BMT), or anywhere else, who are making any bucks at all trading short-term, high leverage markets. (Or long-term, low leverage markets either.) I don't think there are many who are or have been trading live at all, much less profitably. That's how the percentages break out, all over.

I think they do what they say they do: hire traders for what is simply a prop firm, if they can show they can trade according to the rules TsT wants its traders to use. Most can't. Most won't get hired. Most won't be profitable on their own either. I am sure that some will be profitable trading very differently, and don't want to trade TsT's way because it doesn't suit their methods. That's cool. Whatever works.

So basically, people who want to try this path can do it, people who don't, don't have to. Maybe it is a scam, after all. Maybe it isn't. You pays your money and you takes your choice. But are there people who have done it? Yes. They post sometimes on this forum, too.

I don't mean this as a negative comment, and if it seems a little edgy to anyone, I apologize for it. That's not any part of my intention. I just wanted to get another viewpoint out there, and to point out that, yes, we do know people who have done this.

Bob.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

deaddog View Post
With a continuous combine you either pass or fail. Is there a roll over if you are profitable but don't reach the profit target?

tturner86 View Post
I believe as long as you finish net positive (and don't break the other rules) you qualify for a roll over. (Forgive me if I am wrong).

msull35706 View Post
My 3 cents on that....

Being that it's a continuous combine, I'm 99.9% sure it's Pass / Fail....
That's both good and bad.
So I'm assuming no FREE rollovers.....
So be patient, keep losses small, and get your Consistent Profitability north of 70%...

Mike S.

futuretrader View Post
Rollovers are about getting your deposit back at the end to try again. In a continuous combine there is no deposit and no end, so no rollover involved. It's strictly pay as you go, month by month.

Got a reply to my email to TsT asking whether there is a rollover for the continuous Combine:

"There are no rollovers for the Continuous Combine. Since you have an unlimited time to achieve the Combine Objective, you would want to continue trading in the Combine account until you reach the profit target in order to be funded.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,

Erika"

So there we have it. Not a real surprise, is it?

Bob.

Thanked by:
 msull35706 
Saratoga, NY USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, GC
Thanks Given: 141
Thanks Received: 809

Many thx Bob on your follow-up.
Of course if you have exceeded your daily or overall drawdown loss levels, then you'd need
to fund a new one.
I feel this is great option and take pressure off on needing x amount each day on 10/20day combine to achieve.
Still need to work on a Consistent Profitability model of at least 70% or greater in most cases to be successful
in day trading... especially if you scalp like myself on trying to reach $100/day per contract...

Mike S.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Here's something I did not expect about the new continuous Combine and rollovers:

New email to support:

"Another question: if I get a rollover in my current 10-day Combine, can I roll over into a continuous Combine, without the first month's fee (obviously, I would have to pay all the others), or do I need to also put up the initial continuous fee?"

Reply:

"That is a great question. Yes, you can rollover into a Continuous Combine where your first month is free.

Best,

Erika"

I had just assumed they were a totally different breed of cat, but with this, you can at least roll into them. Good to know.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

bobwest View Post
Got a reply to my email to TsT asking whether there is a rollover for the continuous Combine:

"There are no rollovers for the Continuous Combine. Since you have an unlimited time to achieve the Combine Objective, you would want to continue trading in the Combine account until you reach the profit target in order to be funded.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,

Erika"

So there we have it. Not a real surprise, is it?

Bob.

Can't find the $100 restart any time fee, maybe I dreamt that ??

Remember, they could still refuse you even if you smash the profit target and pass all the rules, odds are they wouldn't like my unusual but very effective trading style.

But it's tempting to try, cause there no other way to tell at this point, not a lot of $$'s for a potential huge return ( I bet they make mega bucks off these cause of this ), I should be able to make trading YM and ES say $300 per day (conservative figure ), 3 days per week, so $2400 per month for me, basically it would pay my way and stop me having to dip into my account.

I'd also have to learn a new trading environment and couldn't trade via Ipad Mini like I do currently ( well remote access into PC at home, or Laptop )

Can't decide, be a lot happier if it was an instant, you qualified, here is an account go make us money.

Can I setup that above as a custom combine rule ??

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Turveyd View Post
Can't find the $100 restart any time fee, maybe I dreamt that ??

Nope:

My understanding is that when you "reset," it just wipes out your losses and you start back at zero; I don't know if it resets your every-30-day payment schedule. That would have to be checked; I'm no expert.

Turveyd View Post
Remember, they could still refuse you even if you smash the profit target and pass all the rules, odds are they wouldn't like my unusual but very effective trading style.

Yes, they do reserve the right, I believe, but in actual practice what I have seen them do is ask a trader who passed the Combine but wasn't as consistent as they liked to do a "Live Trader Prep," which is essentially a free Combine with somewhat relaxed profit target.... mainly, I understand that it's to make sure the trader can handle his losses well when the profit pressure is lessened. At one point, mp said that LTP was about 50-50, in terms of whether they ask for it. When they announced the Continuous, one thing they said was that the need for LTP probably would be less, since, with more time to evaluate a trader, they would have a better feel for his consistency.

Turveyd View Post
Can't decide, be a lot happier if it was an instant, you qualified, here is an account go make us money.

Can I setup that above as a custom combine rule ??

At a minimum, people say it takes a couple of weeks to set up the account (not sure why, but I guess there is paperwork to go through.)

Bob.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Turveyd View Post
But it's tempting to try, cause there no other way to tell at this point, not a lot of $$'s for a potential huge return ( I bet they make mega bucks off these cause of this ), I should be able to make trading YM and ES say $300 per day (conservative figure ), 3 days per week, so $2400 per month for me, basically it would pay my way and stop me having to dip into my account.

One more thing. I strongly suggest starting off with a Combine that has a fairly low profit target, and using fairly low leverage (number of contracts). I have seen a lot of Combines being blown up, including by experienced traders, if they swung too hard for the big returns at first.... Those loss control rules surprise people sometimes, if they haven't been that hard-assed about controlling their losses in the past. (Me, for instance )

Bob.

Thanked by:
Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

bobwest View Post
One more thing. I strongly suggest starting off with a Combine that has a fairly low profit target, and using fairly low leverage (number of contracts). I have seen a lot of Combines being blown up, including by experienced traders, if they swung too hard for the big returns at first.... Those loss control rules surprise people sometimes, if they haven't been that hard-assed about controlling their losses in the past. (Me, for instance )

Bob.

Haven't got the time at the moment, but if the client will leave me alone for a few days to make some $$'s, then I'll have loads of time as they'll be looking for a replacement ME, which won't be easy.

Thanks for finding the $100 restart bit, I'm not going crazy, and no idea only got the info posted here.

Topstep
Chicago, IL

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 746

All,

We're committed to helping traders succeed, and one of the biggest obstacles is "the cost of doing business." So, we've forged a partnership with NinjaTrader Brokerage to significantly LOWER COMMISSIONS ACROSS THE BOARD, which will go into effect immediately (starting September 8, 2014) for all Combine (currently active and new accounts) and Funded Trading Accounts.

These industry low commissions are ALL IN, so you don't have to calculate exchange fees, regulatory fees, platform fees, FCM fees, IB fees, and any other fee under the sun.

*The commission rate example displayed above is for new Funded Traders who own a NinjaTrader lifetime license and are using the Rithmic data feed, trading ES. Click here to view Funded Trader's commission and fee structure for all platforms and NinjaTrader license levels.

For example, as a Funded Trader trading the ES, under the old structure, if you traded 100 contracts (50 RT), you would have paid $417 in commissions and fees. Under the new structure, you will pay only $184. For every 100 contracts you trade, that's an additional $233 in savings!

We look forward to seeing how the lower commissions and fees help your trading and profitability! If you have any questions, please contact [email protected] or 888.407.1611.

Trade well,

The TopstepTrader Team

missionatsea 
Erie,Pa

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja, Oanda
Broker: Oanda-practice demo
Trading: GBP/AUD...wild ride
Thanks Given: 95
Thanks Received: 34

TST is a company in search of profit just like any other. They understand 90% (or greater) of participants will donate their deposit. On the other hand, considering data feed costs, a reasonable rate to trade real time with the continuous plan as the platform feed continues until cancelled. The feed for the 10 day combine ends on the 10th trading day.

I would like to see a platform/brokerage offer a pay for real time simulated account, at a nominal fee, so that I can work on strategies, build my plan, and without committing to an account. 14 day free trial periods pass so quickly and not a fan of market replay. TST, so far, has come the closest to what I am looking for. Real time data to train on is all I ask. Of coarse, could dive into the real fire !!!

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts