NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 31 posts (56 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,062 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Tymbeline View Post
I believe that there's now no such thing as "FTP" any more.

Instead, the Combine's in two stages: the first stage (which seems to be what was until recently called "Combine") has been reduced to a 5-day minimum instead of 10, and one or two other figures are also different; the second stage (which appears to be what used to be called "FTP") has a 10-day minimum. My point: this isn't just a change in name - some other parameters, including the minimum number of days, are also altered.

Someone please correct me, if I'm wrong about anything I've said above.

matthew28 View Post
I think this is the result of competition in the market place.

One Up's evaluation period is a minimum of fifteen days.

TST's was two evaluation days of a minimum of ten days each. Now it is in effect also fifteen days. Previously having to pass the Combine, then to basically be told to "now go off and do the same thing again" made One Up look more attractive in that respect.
In my opinion this also now makes a clearer distinction between Stage 1 (formerly the Combine), where you can use larger size straight away and now hit your target in a few days, and Stage 2 (formerly FTP); which was always supposed to be about implementing the scaling plan and Daily to Weekly loss limit, to lower initial maximum risk and reduce the likelyhood of blowing out in the first day or two and aim to promote more realistic risk management.

Funny that I just now became aware of the changed terminology. It's Combine Step 1 and Step 2 now on their website. I think it was still Combine and FTP a short while ago.

I think @matthew28 is right about competition, and also about the purpose of "Step 2"/"FTP".

I also think this was good marketing/labeling -- the amount of complaining about "why do I have to do it twice?" was amazing. Now it doesn't look like just a repetition, or a trick to make you fail (although I am sure that some people will find a way to make it so -- complaining can be so much fun. )

Competition seems to be working as it should. A good thing, overall.

Thanks to both @Tymbeline and @matthew28 for waking me up to the change.

Bob.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

KahunaDog 
Hawaii at the beach

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Nt8, MotiveWave, TOS
Broker: S5
Trading: ES, ZB fine alcohol and muscle cars
Thanks Given: 1,168
Thanks Received: 412

I think one of the hardest part is size and risk.
Some people myself included were not use to the size, thus though there is parameters in ftp/step2 you can easily shoot yourself in the foot by sizing up too much initially.

A better breakdown aor article or series of articles comparing different risk models and risk strategies could help traders who are or were successful at step1, but got hung up in ftp/step2.

For myself I'm thinking of it in R multiples. Not adding contracts till I have enough R multiples as a buffer. If my normal R is 1R, then not adding a second contract till I have say 5R. Depending on your r:r you could get there in 1 or 4 wins. This varies. But once I get to 5R then adding a second lot gives me 2.5R each or 5R total to play with, when in theory a single loss will cost me 1R per contract, or 2R, with 3R left in reserve for slippage.

Now this isn't the only model or strategy, as many people scale in and out in different ways, but it is one for people that are the all in to all out, or all in to scale out. For traders who scale in whether it is with a grid, on pull backs, or momentum, or other a different approach may be of value.

Fall Seven Get Up Eight
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 mokasha 
Dubai UAE

Platform: NinjaTrader, Bookmap
Trading: ES, NQ FDAX
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 13

I am now a Funded Trader. The new process is better and clearer. The negative is the process is very long almost 2 weeks to get the account.
I switched to TSTrader to get free commissions mainly and mobile support. It's a good platform and easy to use for execution mainly. Mobile interface is great but not a native app.

I find Topstep not that developed regarding International traders. They don't support Euro reports and all my parameters are incorrect.

Overall good experience but big room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

Hi guys,

Happy Anniversary to @TopstepTrader! To celebrate, futures io sent them cake & cupcakes

We hope they enjoyed them!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
supreme23
Vancouver

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 9

mokasha View Post
I am now a Funded Trader. The new process is better and clearer. The negative is the process is very long almost 2 weeks to get the account.
I switched to TSTrader to get free commissions mainly and mobile support. It's a good platform and easy to use for execution mainly. Mobile interface is great but not a native app.

I find Topstep not that developed regarding International traders. They don't support Euro reports and all my parameters are incorrect.

Overall good experience but big room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

How did you get free commissions ?

TickedOff 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader with Jigsaw DOM
Trading: CL, 6E, ES, Piano
Thanks Given: 229
Thanks Received: 250

how are you guys finding step 2? I am finding the the weekly 1k max loss to be very very tight and I am overly concerned about loss whilst trading.

Understanding yourself is just as important as understanding markets.

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

It's only really the beginning of the week you need to bear it in mind. If you made $500 say on Monday then on Tuesday your max daily loss would still be $1000 (for the 50K), but you would be $1500 away from the week's maximum loss.

The idea was that it prevents people blowing the test in two days by say starting on Monday and losing a touch under a $1000 then immediately trading the next day and losing another thousand and basically reaching the maximum $2000 loss and failing in two sessions. If one in effect loses their full $1000 daily loss limit on the first day of the week (and TST recommend incorporating your own reduced daily loss limit in to your trading plan anyway), then I would guess that for most people it would probably be better to stop trading 'live' for the rest of the week and work out if they have an issue, then come back prepared and composed.

Note: Though obviously if you lose $500 on the Monday then the next day your daily loss limit is only $500. A good reason to ideally use a reduced daily loss limit of about half the TST recommendation.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:

TickedOff 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Platform: NinjaTrader with Jigsaw DOM
Trading: CL, 6E, ES, Piano
Thanks Given: 229
Thanks Received: 250

matthew28 View Post
It's only really the beginning of the week you need to bear it in mind. If you made $500 say on Monday then on Tuesday your max daily loss would still be $1000 (for the 50K), but you would be $1500 away from the week's maximum loss.
The idea was that it prevents people blowing the test in two days by say starting on Monday and losing a touch under a $1000 then immediately trading the next day and losing another thousand and basically reaching the maximum $2000 loss and failing in two sessions. If one in effect loses their full $1000 daily loss limit on the first day of the week (and TST recommend incorporating your own reduced daily loss limit in to your trading plan anyway), then I would guess that for most people it would probably be better to stop trading 'live' for the rest of the week and work out if they have an issue, then come back prepared and composed.

Oh I thought it trailed all the way up that relieves some pressure

Understanding yourself is just as important as understanding markets.
Thanked by:

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

@TickedOff

Sorry I think my previous post was wrong and you were right.

I reread this https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000140747-What-is-the-Weekly-Loss-Limit- and it does sound like the weekly drawdown trails like you say.

Perhaps @TopstepTrader can clarify for other reader's benefit, or you should check with their support.

Incidentally I had checked the TST support section just to remind you to also bear in mind the scaling plan that is applied in Step 2, https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000140787-What-is-the-scaling-plan- , and not accidently click in an extra lot before you are allowed to. Good luck with Step2.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage - Philip Capital
Trading: NQ,ES,6E,CL
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,672

Scaling plan and no trading during news events. Things that aren't enforced during step 1 that are in step 2. So watch out for interest rate announcements, FMOC meeting minutes, NFP, etc. You have to be flat 1 min prior to 1 min after.

The weekly loss limit goes away once the trailing max drawdown reaches the starting balance of the account. You will still have your daily loss limit, not your weekly. So, on a 50k combine, once the trailing max drawdown reaches 50k then the weekly loss limit is eliminated. Trailing max drawdown is calculated at end of day. So it is possible to drop below it, you just need to be above it by end of day. This is only true during the combine. Once funded you cannot drop below the max drawdown at any time during the day.

https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/articles/235514547-What-is-the-Trailing-Max-Drawdown-

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts