NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syxforex with 31 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,290 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

ZENDINA 
sacramento, ca

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: ES and CL futures contracts
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 19

bobwest View Post
It has been helpful to me too, but this is the first time I have seen this thought expressed, at least in this way. I can see how the awareness of responsibility to someone else can make a difference, in how solid and well-thought-out your judgments are.

Well put.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your kind thoughts. For me, the realization that I am a guardian of someone else's money has been crucial to better decision making. I like your word "solid" since it describes well how the combine has made my decision making much more sound. Best wishes to you in your trading journey.

:0)
Dina

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,174
Thanks Received: 101,539

Reminder for tomorrow's AMA:

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Topstep
Chicago, IL

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 746

Turveyd View Post
It's a lot of rules, I'm amazed anyone qualifys to actually trade with them, I'm not even going to try shame likely be a good way out of my current cash flow issues!!

Anything similar but more realistic around ??

Turveyed- You can customize your rules. All traders should have rules they follow or they will struggle to stay on a consistent path. IF you are not consistent then you have no idea what to work on to get better. Trading is a process. The Combine is a career development tool as well as a funding opportunity.

We have traders in the Combine with only a couple rules, as I mentioned above you can customize them. You mentioned there are a lot of rules. Can I ask what rules you would like to remove?

Here are the rules:

-trade 10 days within 30 calendar days*
-always implement stops with an open position
-only trade permitted products, during the permitted times
-achieve an Average Net P&L greater than $0 for each product traded
-achieve an Overall Winning Day percentage of 55 or greater
-ensure my Largest Losing Day will not hit or exceed my Daily Loss Limit
-ensure my Account Balance will not hit or exceed my Trailing Max Drawdown
(https://www.topstep.com//)

Thanks for your input.

mp

Thanked by:

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

I believe this is a good move on TopStep Trader's part. I was looking forward to not having any time restrictions. That was the only part about the combines that I didn't like, the restriction and added pressure of making x dollars every day or in y number of days. Enter the continuous combine. Good job TST.

https://www.topstep.com//

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

Hulk View Post
I believe this is a good move on TopStep Trader's part. I was looking forward to not having any time restrictions. That was the only part about the combines that I didn't like, the restriction and added pressure of making x dollars every day or in y number of days. Enter the continuous combine. Good job TST.

Beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

When you get near the end of a 10-day Combine (or 20, same issue), and you are close to rollover (or, I assume, to passing -- just never got that close ), needing to have one more winning day, or x more dollars, can put serious pressure on you. This way, they back off on the pressure, but there is still enough to make it semi-close to live, and so it's a good learning experience and a fair test of what you can do. But the deadline is less artificial.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Topstep
Chicago, IL

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 746

Hulk View Post

https://www.topstep.com//

Hulk- We try to listen and make appropriate adjustments at TopstepTrader when we receive feedback that we feel will benefit the trader as well as aid in their development. I was happy to be apart of the Continuous Combine project.

Traders now have all the time they need to meet the objective. I like the Continuous Combine as I believe it will give traders a better opportunity to develop their patience. The Combine has already proven that it helps traders develop their discipline, which is one of the biggest hurdles a trader has to overcome.

Now a trader can develop another fascade of their game, while working towards a funding opportunity and that is what I am most excited about.

mp

Thanked by:
Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

TopstepTrader View Post
Turveyed- You can customize your rules. All traders should have rules they follow or they will struggle to stay on a consistent path. IF you are not consistent then you have no idea what to work on to get better. Trading is a process. The Combine is a career development tool as well as a funding opportunity.

We have traders in the Combine with only a couple rules, as I mentioned above you can customize them. You mentioned there are a lot of rules. Can I ask what rules you would like to remove?

Here are the rules:

Thanks for your input.

mp

Well I don't like :-

-ensure my Largest Losing Day will not hit or exceed my Daily Loss Limit.
Reason........... Unless your an uber small SL user then you can't use your 5 Lots, well not at first on the day

Although you need this, 4% of account value is to restrictive, 10% and that's more like it.

The Continuous will help, it was going to be hard to make enough profit, with the above restrictions I don't like, but no longer an issue.

Hulk 
Texas, USA

Platform: TT, Custom
Trading: Futures, Spreads
Thanks Given: 731
Thanks Received: 901

TopstepTrader View Post
Hulk- We try to listen and make appropriate adjustments at TopstepTrader when we receive feedback that we feel will benefit the trader as well as aid in their development. I was happy to be apart of the Continuous Combine project.

Traders now have all the time they need to meet the objective. I like the Continuous Combine as I believe it will give traders a better opportunity to develop their patience. The Combine has already proven that it helps traders develop their discipline, which is one of the biggest hurdles a trader has to overcome.

Now a trader can develop another fascade of their game, while working towards a funding opportunity and that is what I am most excited about.

mp

Absolutely. I, for one, am very thankful. If you think about it, when trading a live account, there are no time restrictions. As @bobwest said, when its the last or penultimate day of a combine and you are short a few dollars, to either make the target or earn a rollover, it becomes so difficult because now, you are looking for a trade rather than let the trade come to you and we all know what happens then. I have been there about 5-6 times now and not once has it worked out in my favor. The only times I have cleared the target is when I did it earlier during the combine.

So now, the continuous combine makes it as real as it can get to trading live, without actually having anything but the monthly fee at risk. Its brilliant. Thanks.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 183
Thanks Received: 3,962

TopstepTrader View Post

Here are the rules:

Thanks for your input.

mp

The rule that keeps me from taking a combine is the 55% winning days.
In reality with a 10 day combine it's 60%
It shouldn't matter how many winning days a trader has if they can meet all the other goals.

By asking a trader to have a certain percentage of winning days you are setting them up to have to trade their way out of trouble. If the first trade of the day is a loss the trader is now forced to take at least one more trade to try and get back to even. They would be better off waiting for the perfect set up.

To me the object should be to achieve the profit goal. I like the daily loss and max loss limits. But if a trader can stay within those limits and still trade profitably does it make any difference how many profitable days he has?

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

deaddog View Post
The rule that keeps me from taking a combine is the 55% winning days.
In reality with a 10 day combine it's 60%
It shouldn't matter how many winning days a trader has if they can meet all the other goals.

By asking a trader to have a certain percentage of winning days you are setting them up to have to trade their way out of trouble. If the first trade of the day is a loss the trader is now forced to take at least one more trade to try and get back to even. They would be better off waiting for the perfect set up.

To me the object should be to achieve the profit goal. I like the daily loss and max loss limits. But if a trader can stay within those limits and still trade profitably does it make any difference how many profitable days he has?

I believe that it has to do with consistency. They would like you to be consistent with your profit, not make $2000 in a day and then lose $300 over the next 9 days or the other way around.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts