NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 31 posts (56 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,062 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

dandxg 
Denver, Colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: ES, CL, anything that makes $$
Thanks Given: 164
Thanks Received: 77

I don't know a single person whom has passed the combine. I think they make it that way just to collect fees for the hope of being a prop trader. I think they go by Patak trading as well.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

dandxg View Post
I don't know a single person whom has passed the combine. I think they make it that way just to collect fees for the hope of being a prop trader. I think they go by Patak trading as well.

The founder is Michael Patak, so yes Patak is involved

Online Futures Trading,online future trading,online future traders

My understanding is that the funding for TST traders that pass the Combine comes from the Patak partners (equity partners).

I will try and remember to ask how many people pass the Combine, but I would just guess it is very similar to the number of people that are overall successful with trading (a very small number).

I'm not coming to their defense or anything about charging fees, but I hope you don't expect them to work for free?

Whether or not it is valuable to you, naturally is only something each individual trader can determine for themselves.

How many times did you take the Combine yourself? I assume you did not pass, do you think that is because of TST or was it because of your trading performance during the Combine?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

I know it was a dud. But that TDKR confusing chant gets into my head "This is gotham! gotham! This is gotham! gotham! .. " ; Where the old guy who looks like Michael Caine askance in that misleading trailer says whatever the chant really was, that it meant "rise.." ;

So how many rises past the almost impossible challenge of the Combine and becomes CP prop firm trader for TST

(just some TDKR fun. I like their open guest trading rooms and TST looks legit to me. At least far much more so than those "prop firms" that advertise trading jobs on craigslist!)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 dandxg 
Denver, Colorado

Big Mike View Post

My understanding is that the funding for TST traders that pass the Combine comes from the Patak partners (equity partners).

I will try and remember to ask how many people pass the Combine, but I would just guess it is very similar to the number of people that are overall successful with trading (a very small number).

I'm not coming to their defense or anything about charging fees, but I hope you don't expect them to work for free?

Whether or not it is valuable to you, naturally is only something each individual trader can determine for themselves.

How many times did you take the Combine yourself? I assume you did not pass, do you think that is because of TST or was it because of your trading performance during the Combine?

Mike

I didn't bother with it at all Mike after I saw, what appeared to be, legit complaints about them on ET. I was some time ago. I don't think they should work for free, but I have a hard time believing that the cost they charge was just for admin and data storage. I don't buy that one. It smelled about as logical as SMB charging people 10k for training and then when you have a couple of losing days they boot you and pocket your cash for crap training.

It didn't pass the smell test IMO. Hey if they are legit than more power to them.

Thanked by:
 dandxg 
Denver, Colorado

Big Mike View Post

Mike

Mike if you, or anyone else is interested, here is the thread on ET I reference. Forums - Patak Trading

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

dandxg View Post
Mike if you, or anyone else is interested, here is the thread on ET I reference. Forums - Patak Trading

Thx. I read through the thread briefly, it seems to confirm that TST is a serious prop firm. Everyone should do their own research and due diligence of course, but I believe the thread puts TST in good light from the experienced traders that commented on it. Whether or not a prop firm is a good fit for you, or whether or not their combines make sense for you, is something only you can answer...

Mike

Thanked by:
 Futures Operator 
New York, NY

Platform: Sierra Chart, thinkorswim
Broker: Amp-Rithmic/TT, IB
Trading: CL, GC, NQ
Thanks Given: 2,039
Thanks Received: 258

Big Mike View Post
Thx. I read through the thread briefly, it seems to confirm that TST is a serious prop firm. Everyone should do their own research and due diligence of course, but I believe the thread puts TST in good light from the experienced traders that commented on it. Whether or not a prop firm is a good fit for you, or whether or not their combines make sense for you, is something only you can answer...

Mike

I read the first 10-11 pages and came away with the opposite opinion. As you said, everyone should do their own due dilligence, but just wanted to share my thoughts. Thanks for posting that thread dandxg.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Futures Operator View Post
I read the first 10-11 pages and came away with the opposite opinion. As you said, everyone should do their own due dilligence, but just wanted to share my thoughts. Thanks for posting that thread dandxg.

hehe, I read the last 10-15 pages.

Mike

Thanked by:
karoshiman
Munich, Germany

Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 117

dandxg View Post

I don't think they should work for free, but I have a hard time believing that the cost they charge was just for admin and data storage. I don't buy that one.

I have yet to read the ET thread on TST/Patak, but my current point of view is that it is no problem to charge for the combines. I don't think either that the fee is for admin or data storage or whatever expenses they might have. I can not believe that it costs them that much to have these sim accounts running and checked as most of it must be automated.

However, that is not the point (even if they say so). IMO it's just that they are selling you a dream... the chance to become a funded prop trader. And people are willing to pay for that chance. There is demand for that and they meet the demand. It's just an additional income stream for them as I see it. Their requirements for a funded trader are pretty strict, so it's natural that most of the people don't pass the test.

The only thing that bothers me is that they say that even if all the formal requirements are met to become a funded trader, the scout team's review is still subjective and you can be asked to repeat the evaluation period. I hope that this is not designed as a loophole to screw people...

Thanked by:

madLyfe 
Des Moines, Iowa

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, TOS
Broker: AMP/CQG, TOS
Trading: CL, TF, GC
Thanks Given: 9,220
Thanks Received: 1,020

karoshiman View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that they say that even if all the formal requirements are met to become a funded trader, the scout team's review is still subjective and you can be asked to repeat the evaluation period. I hope that this is not designed as a loophole to screw people...

i have not taken the combine but from what i gather if you get to the point where you could become a funded trader and the scout team does review you, you would have to have met at least 2/3 of the goals. if they feel you need more time you still fall under their rules that state that you could have your money rolled over to another combine or refunded..

dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts