NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Daytrader999 with 31 posts (56 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,062 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

TrendTraderBH View Post
I apologize if this has already been answered but as long as all the other criteria are fulfilled and the PnL looks good, what is the importance of this particular criteria:

Overall Average Win Duration greater than Overall Average Loss Duration

yes, that's a good one.

lets use an example. first trade is a winner. you made 3 points in 5 min. now second trade. you're up 2 ticks, but already in the trade for almost 5 min. what do you do? if the trade goes against you, your average duration is greater for the loss. if you exit the trade with 2 ticks profit, then that will reduce your average win to 7 ticks. darn...

but then again it's pretty obvious what the purpose is....

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
 TrendTraderBH 
Detroit, Michigan

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 565
Thanks Received: 301

Not obvious to me....please help out a slow learner (me).

Silvester17 View Post

but then again it's pretty obvious what the purpose is....

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

josh View Post
Regarding the profit split, the info on this page indicates that if a $30K buffer is built, that anything else above that will receive an 80/20 profit split. Is this correct, @Hoag?

Thanks for asking this question @josh. The other question is, do you only get to take advantage of the 80/20 split if you leave the $30k "cushion" in the equity partner's account?

In other words, what if you complete a $150k combine, then build up $10k in profits, then start taking the 60/65% payout - do you need to just make another $5k (of which you keep $3000) to be moved up to a 70/30 split? And then once you make another $15k in profits (of which you keep a little more than $10k) you get to move to a 80/20 split? Or do you have to leave all your profits in the account and build up a $30k cushion to be moved to an 80/20 split?

Hope that makes sense - not a huge concern but I wondered about this the first time I read through the funded trader page...

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

TrendTraderBH View Post
Not obvious to me....please help out a slow learner (me).

In general, the longer amount of time you are in a profitable trade, the more you give the market an opportunity to pay you. It is a way to more objectively measure the adage "let your winners run". Look at the s&p today. I was in a winner for about an hour. If I had been in it for 2 or 3 hours, I'd have made some real money. Instead, I got out far too early and did not get paid that well.

Vice versa for losers.

So in general, traders who spend a lot of time in losing trades and not a lot of time in winning trades will not make money.

There are always exceptions like the fast winner but I expect it will work out as the logic above.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

josh View Post
In general, the longer amount of time you are in a profitable trade, the more you give the market an opportunity to pay you. It is a way to more objectively measure the adage "let your winners run". Look at the s&p today. I was in a winner for about an hour. If I had been in it for 2 or 3 hours, I'd have made some real money. Instead, I got out far too early and did not get paid that well.

Vice versa for losers.

So in general, traders who spend a lot of time in losing trades and not a lot of time in winning trades will not make money.

There are always exceptions like the fast winner but I expect it will work out as the logic above.

yes, couldn't disagree more.

it can go the other way as well, you were up nicely after an hour and then after 2 or 3 hours you lost it all again, because you got a little greedy maybe.

point is, if you're profitable with what you're doing, then you shouldn't care about time.

also it's important what kind of a trader you are. a scalper or a swing trader. makes a big difference too.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Silvester17 View Post
it can go the other way as well, you were up nicely after an hour and then after 2 or 3 hours you lost it all again, because you got a little greedy maybe.

point is, if you're profitable with what you're doing, then you shouldn't care about time.

also it's important what kind of a trader you are. a scalper or a swing trader. makes a big difference too.

If you're profitable, should you not also care about profit factor, maximum drawdown, win rate, or other performance metrics? Profitability is not the most telling metric of a trader's performance. Even if a trader is profitable and has good numbers generally, he can likely still improve by knowing certain metrics and the average hold time is one of them.

Having a stat like average hold time does not mean you should trade for the stat instead of trading well; hopefully that is common sense. It would be silly to stay in a trade longer simply for staying in the trade longer so your hold time stat would improve. But a random sampling of winning traders would probably reveal a significantly longer hold time for winning trades than losing trades for most traders. The stat tells the story--the story should not be told to make the stat.

The statistic has the purpose of making the trader aware of a principle which is beneficial for most traders, nothing more.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Another 3 questions for @Hoag:

Does max daily loss include open (unrealized) losses/drawdown, or only closed losses? Say I enter a 15 lot which goes against me 4.25 handles, leaving me with a $3200 unrealized drawdown--will I receive a margin call or have my position closed in this case?

How is a "trade" defined for the purposes of W/L, hold time, etc.? Is it by a single filled order, by flat to flat, or what? Let's say I enter a 10 lot long. I add 1. I add 1 more. Now I flatten. How many "trades" is that? What if I were to scale out?

There appears to be a very strange way that the overall stats are being calculated. Instead of being calculated as an entire set, they are calculated as a daily average. So right now my average loss is greater than my average win, but this is only possible if I have lost money net, and I'm up $800. So for two days my average loss was -$303 and -$150. You are averaging these two numbers, instead of averaging all trades. This is obviously not really correct -- if I have ten trades the first day all losing -$200 each, and one trade losing -$5 the second day, my average loss is -$182, not -$102. Help me please if I am misunderstanding this.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

josh View Post
If you're profitable, should you not also care about profit factor, maximum drawdown, win rate, or other performance metrics? Profitability is not the most telling metric of a trader's performance. Even if a trader is profitable and has good numbers generally, he can likely still improve by knowing certain metrics and the average hold time is one of them.

Having a stat like average hold time does not mean you should trade for the stat instead of trading well; hopefully that is common sense. It would be silly to stay in a trade longer simply for staying in the trade longer so your hold time stat would improve. But a random sampling of winning traders would probably reveal a significantly longer hold time for winning trades than losing trades for most traders. The stat tells the story--the story should not be told to make the stat.

The statistic has the purpose of making the trader aware of a principle which is beneficial for most traders, nothing more.

this is just me. I normally enter the market with a fixed target (more a scalping approach), or I enter without a target because I believe we are in a strong trend. but in both cases as soon as I see evidence of a possible reversal I get out. doesn't matter if I'm plus or minus. and certainly doesn't matter if I'm in the market 10 min, 1 hour or 5 hours. and I believe the market doesn't care either.

like I said before, scalper or swing trader makes a big difference. another example, I'm a scalper going for 3 points with a stop of 6 ticks and I'm consistent profitable. lets say 75% winning trades. should I really care about a holding time?

stats are good. but not always helpful.

TrendTraderBH 
Detroit, Michigan

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 565
Thanks Received: 301

Silvester17 and Josh both bring up points that I was thinking about as well. I am mostly a scalper and the faster my winner happens the better for me. My average hold time for losers is moderately greater than average hold time for winners.

What I can infer from TopStep that I "should" cut my losers sooner than waiting. Additionally, the TopStep model seems to look for traders that do this and also encourages moving stops to break even plus to avoid long in time, "unnecessary" losses. However, I have found that moving stops to break even when the indicators have not yet deteriorated is a recipe for turning a winning trading into a break even trade most of the time.

Although I am not currently planning on taking a combine I have looked at the requirements. It is possible that my trading style is not suited to their "model" of the type of trader they are looking to fund.

Silvester17 View Post
this is just me. I normally enter the market with a fixed target (more a scalping approach), or I enter without a target because I believe we are in a strong trend. but in both cases as soon as I see evidence of a possible reversal I get out. doesn't matter if I'm plus or minus. and certainly doesn't matter if I'm in the market 10 min, 1 hour or 5 hours. and I believe the market doesn't care either.

like I said before, scalper or swing trader makes a big difference. another example, I'm a scalper going for 3 points with a stop of 6 ticks and I'm consistent profitable. lets say 75% winning trades. should I really care about a holding time?

stats are good. but not always helpful.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,533

How many people are using NinjaTrader with Topstep now? My understanding is that it is now 100% available.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts