NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 90 posts (231 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 85 posts (208 thanks)
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 33 posts (86 thanks)
    4. looks_4 syxforex with 31 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Topstep with 3.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 omni72 with 2.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 376,290 views
    2. thumb_up 1,789 thanks given
    3. group 390 followers
    1. forum 932 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Anybody heard of topsteptrader (review)

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

resist View Post
I am thinking about starting more than one combine of 30 or 50 k and to trade not all instruments in same combine but only few in each - also there are sometimes trading opportunities in one instrument but not in others but the fixed schedule of 10 or 20 days forces to trade the other underlyings too - specially if they had already a loosing trade and there are only few trading day left.
I think I read that´s possible to open more than one combine same time, when there is more than one successful combine would it be bossible to get two or more accounts funded, e.g. one trading CL, one GC ?

I believe this has already been answered at some point.

As I understand it, you can take more than one Combine at a time, but TsT will only provide one account per trader. It's a matter of controlling their exposure to any one trader.

As you trade and produce higher profits, you can increase the size (number of contracts) and instruments that you trade. You just have to prove that you are ready for it.

Hope this answers the question for you....

Bob

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks
 resist 
Berlin Germany /Alicante Spain

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: DDT/Rithmic, Global/CQG, IB, Mirus(Ninja)/MarketDelta
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 362
Thanks Received: 67

In my understanding a combine can only be "rolled" without new "deposit" if you have no loss on any traded underlyings, that means if you have a total loss of 100 $ on NQ and a profit of 1000$ on YM and you fullfilled all other "rules" (Overall Winning Day percentage of 55 or greater + Largest Losing Day will not hit or exceed Daily Loss Limit + Account Balance will not hit or exceed Trailing Max Drawdown) you will not be rolled even if your total profit is 900 $.

You will have to send new "deposit" because of "Rule not met Average Net P&L greater than $0 for each product traded".

Only to clarify, I think that means that you have to be a almost "ready" trader because you have to make a positive result on any traded product in 10 days - in my opinion best you take only advantages in one product or at the middle of a combine you trade only on negative products "making them positive again" to keep your combine "roll-able".

Daytrader999 
Ilsede, Germany
Site Moderator

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Rithmic / CQG / Ninja Trader Brokerage
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 2,067
Thanks Received: 2,316

resist View Post
In my understanding a combine can only be "rolled" without new "deposit" if you have no loss on any traded underlyings, that means if you have a total loss of 100 $ on NQ and a profit of 1000$ on YM and you fullfilled all other "rules" (Overall Winning Day percentage of 55 or greater + Largest Losing Day will not hit or exceed Daily Loss Limit + Account Balance will not hit or exceed Trailing Max Drawdown) you will not be rolled even if your total profit is 900 $.

You will have to send new "deposit" because of "Rule not met Average Net P&L greater than $0 for each product traded".

Yes, that's absolutely correct.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much." - Jim Rohn
Thanked by:
Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

It's a lot of rules, I'm amazed anyone qualifys to actually trade with them, I'm not even going to try shame likely be a good way out of my current cash flow issues!!

Anything similar but more realistic around ??

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Turveyd View Post
It's a lot of rules, I'm amazed anyone qualifys to actually trade with them, I'm not even going to try shame likely be a good way out of my current cash flow issues!!

If you look at their rules, they concentrate mainly on loss control. Many people (including me) have found that taking the Combine improves their trading discipline, and hence their trading results.

The people at TsT are long-time ex-pit traders. They want to keep losses in hand, to insure long-term survival. Without that, there's no real chance of profit, over time. It's a point of view that's worth considering.

(Also, remember that the funded account is not just an account where they were nice enough to give you free money to trade with. A funded trader is trading a portion of the firm's capital; every trading firm, including TsT, has risk control procedures in place to limit its losses incurred by its traders. The Combine enforces similar risk control, which is not a bad thing for a trader to learn.)

@Big Mike mentioned somewhere that, in his view, the value of the Combine is in the discipline, much more than the hope of getting funded.

On that basis, I always recommend it. It also gives a chance for a very realistic assessment of where you really are in your trading....

That's just me, of course. Some people look at the rules and say, "I don't want to trade like that." Different strokes for different folks....

Bob.

Turveyd
Birmingham UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

bobwest View Post
If you look at their rules, they concentrate mainly on loss control. Many people (including me) have found that taking the Combine improves their trading discipline, and hence their trading results.

The people at TsT are long-time ex-pit traders. They want to keep losses in hand, to insure long-term survival. Without that, there's no real chance of profit, over time. It's a point of view that's worth considering.

(Also, remember that the funded account is not just an account where they were nice enough to give you free money to trade with. A funded trader is trading a portion of the firm's capital; every trading firm, including TsT, has risk control procedures in place to limit its losses incurred by its traders. The Combine enforces similar risk control, which is not a bad thing for a trader to learn.)

@Big Mike mentioned somewhere that, in his view, the value of the Combine is in the discipline, much more than the hope of getting funded.

On that basis, I always recommend it. It also gives a chance for a very realistic assessment of where you really are in your trading....

That's just me, of course. Some people look at the rules and say, "I don't want to trade like that." Different strokes for different folks....

Bob.

I have tight loss control, don't get me wrong agree with that part, but a lot of the rules sound abit over the top really, but I'm a haphazard kinda trader so guess they would do.

Nothing else going with less rules then ?

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

Turveyd View Post

It is their money. I would have a lot of rules and conditions as well.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

bobwest View Post

Bob.

It's the difference between being professional or not.

But I agree the discipline is the biggest thing you will received. Or a cold wake up call that you might not be cut out for the big leagues.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 ZENDINA 
sacramento, ca

Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: ES and CL futures contracts
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 19

I started a combine a few days ago and have the journal of my results on futures.io (formerly BMT). I have completed 3 days so far, so I have 7 days to go. In my experience, it has already benefited me, so I feel like a winner already. Now, before every single trade, I ask myself "Is this trade in my client's best interest?". After all, I am asking to manage someone else's money and it is my responsibility to prove that I am worthy of this priviledge and have respect for their hard earned money. This has shifted my thinking and has improved my performance. So, hooray for the combine!

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

ZENDINA View Post
I started a combine a few days ago and have the journal of my results on futures.io (formerly BMT). I have completed 3 days so far, so I have 7 days to go. In my experience, it has already benefited me, so I feel like a winner already. Now, before every single trade, I ask myself "Is this trade in my client's best interest?". After all, I am asking to manage someone else's money and I need to prove that I am worthy of this priviledge and have respect for their hard earned money. This has shifted my thinking and has improved my performance. So, hooray for the combine!

It has been helpful to me too, but this is the first time I have seen this thought expressed, at least in this way. I can see how the awareness of responsibility to someone else can make a difference, in how solid and well-thought-out your judgments are.

Well put.

Bob.

Last Updated on March 7, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts