NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

not trading off the seat of my pants

Discussion in Stocks and ETFs

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Tiberius with 73 posts (112 thanks)
    2. looks_two rpm123 with 24 posts (26 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 9 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 drytlewski322 with 8 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 2.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Tiberius with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rpm123 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 drytlewski322 with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,504 views
    2. thumb_up 185 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 128 posts
    2. attach_file 103 attachments

Search this Thread

not trading off the seat of my pants

Tiberius 
Coos County New Hampshire

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,984
Thanks Received: 3,406

This is my tread for the June contest to teach a trading strategy. It is located here because we will be trading stocks or stock index ETFs. An instrument with a lot of daily volatility. And who is "we"? Me and anyone who wants to participate in this tread. I may be the teacher but because the students are as smart or smarter than me, I may be the one to learn the most in the month of June.

My attachment shows two strategies I have been researching. Tomorrow, May 31st, I will pick a strategy to teach starting June 1st. I favor the left one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thursday.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	39576  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks

Tiberius 

Hello all my fellow traders. This is my intro post of this strategy. This strategy has never been traded live. It is an offshoot of my trade journal. This contest matches my timeline for instituting this strategy. This is my teaching thread but this thread will be more like a discussion thread with member participation. I put this thread in Traders Hideout for all members to view and I am trading a stock index ETF because trading is trading. If you can successfully trade an ETF you can trade an e-mini. If I am trading an ETF, I can just sit back, relax and trade the signals. If I want to increase the reward, I can increase the share amount.

I wanted to create a simple strategy. I would rather trade just price action, but I have come too far with indicators to just start a new trading style. Being a futures.io (formerly BMT) member, I have learned to see price action but not to trade it. Now that I see it, I let price work the trend without sweating the pullbacks.

Like I said, this is a simple strategy, three indicators to show trend and one indicator for trade management.

The next post will describe the strategy.

Tiberius 

I wanted to create a simple strategy.......KISS. I didn't want to look at many indicators waiting for them to aline. But I do have three indicators and they must aline for a trade, but I think I made it simpler. The three indicators are the FTZ_SharkTrend, set to two zerolag EMAs for a single MA; the TSI4JefffromTMFT, set to a zerolag EMA also, used to paint the background; and the ESFXtrader_CCI used to paint the price bars.

Blue EMA, blue background and blue price bars......................BUY (long).
Red EMA, red background and red price bars........................SELL (short).
Any other chart combination...........................WAIT..........(flat).

This is a mechanical strategy............I do not want to think while trading. I did my thinking creating this strategy. I had five final strategies and this is the one that proved itself. I was really pulling for another but it didn't make it.

The trade management indicator is the anaSuperTrend, I am using it for stop placement and for trade continuation (no thinking). The only situation is that this indy calculates using the price bar's median and ATR, so as the price bar expands the stop retreats until the bar paints. Because this and the other indicators are set to "calculate on close" = False. Maybe I will replace it with another version.

I started this strategy with a 5 minute bar chart. But I changed to a 3 minute bar chart because I like the shorter time frame, but not too short. And finally, I want to trade a volatile ETF so I decided to trade IWM which is like the TF e-mini. There are others of course like SSO, QQQ, FCX, etc.

The next post I will describe the rules, followed by a post of today's trading.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wednesday.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	39804  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

Tip

This thread is part of our June iPad 2 contest!

For all the details on the contest, visit this link:

nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) members will vote for the winner at the end of June.

Thanks for participating, @Tiberius!

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

rpm123 
Green Bay WI

Platform: NT
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 337
Thanks Received: 466

Tiberius View Post

I started this strategy with a 5 minute bar chart. But I changed to a 3 minute bar chart because I like the shorter time frame, but not too short. And finally, I want to trade a volatile ETF so I decided to trade IWM which is like the TF e-mini. There are others of course like SSO, QQQ, FCX, etc.

Just curious if you tried it with range or better renko bars too.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Tiberius 

rpm123 View Post
Just curious if you tried it with range or better renko bars too.

RPM123, Thanks for asking a question on my contest thread. I would love to try this with a range and/or renko bar. My free data feeds for stocks (ETFs) only allows accurate bar charts with minute bars. And Zen Fire doesn't have a stock data feed. I would probably have to subscribe to Kinetick or E-signal for data to create range and renko bars. Tiberius

Tiberius 

for the TSI SharkTrend CCI strategy.

Trading Hours: 9:30AM to 4:00 PM ET, Position exits allowed during after-hours trading.

Trade Executions: Enter a position only after the bar, the background and MA have painted the same color (the signal). Immediately enter the position on the trigger bar as long as it agrees with the signal bar and the MA line of the TSI is pointing in the trade direction. Exit the trade on the stop order or when the color conditions of the trigger bar change after the bar paints. Use any type order to enter and exit the trade.

Signal and Trigger Bars:
Blue MA, blue background and blue price bars......................BUY (long).
Red MA, red background and red price bars........................SELL (short).
Any other chart combination...........................WAIT........ ..(flat).

Stop: The stop is set by the anaSuperTrend 1, 1, 1; "Calculate on bar close" set to "True"

Indicators: "Calculate on bar close" set to "False"
FTZ_SharkTreand_v01........MA
Tsi4JeffFromTMFT..........Background
ESFXtrader_CCIBarCounterv7......price bars
BarTimer

That is the rule set. Remember, I have not traded this strategy live and it is in testing phase. Your feedback and comments are important to me and all on futures.io (formerly BMT). We all know there are thousands of indicators or at least indicator combinations. This is a combination I have currently chosen after being a member of futures.io (formerly BMT) and doing a trading journal. I have been playing with this strategy for a few weeks and tweaked it Tuesday for this contest. I wanted this system to be 100% mechanical and this rule set makes it so. No thinking. But traders do think, so maybe this strategy needs to be 75% mechanical and the exit open to thinking. I was going to include a list of Guidelines like TSI MA hooks, dojis, long wicked candles, OS/OB, stop placement; but that would be thinking. The only other way I am considering in trading this strategy is with the color conditions of the trigger bar until it changes with a catastrophe stop. With this, I am trying to cut my losses and let my profits run. More later.

rpm123 
Green Bay WI

Platform: NT
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 337
Thanks Received: 466

Tiberius View Post
RPM123, Thanks for asking a question on my contest thread. I would love to try this with a range and/or renko bar. My free data feeds for stocks (ETFs) only allows accurate bar charts with minute bars. And Zen Fire doesn't have a stock data feed. I would probably have to subscribe to Kinetick or E-signal for data to create range and renko bars. Tiberius

Well, you have me hooked. I'm a Keep It Simple kind of guy too. I put it up on an 8 and a 20 bar YM for grins and it looks pretty good. I can post pictures, but I did not know if that is appropriate on your thread. I'll be testing/watching it this week and next and see what happens. Good luck in the contest and more importantly in creating a great system.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Tiberius 

rpm123 View Post
Well, you have me hooked. I'm a Keep It Simple kind of guy too. I put it up on an 8 and a 20 bar YM for grins and it looks pretty good. I can post pictures, but I did not know if that is appropriate on your thread. I'll be testing/watching it this week and next and see what happens. Good luck in the contest and more importantly in creating a great system.

rpm123, please post images and commentary to this thread.Tweak the parameters.Post your trading style and stop placement for this strategy. My only interest, here, is SUCCESS. Tiberius

Thanked by:

drytlewski322 
Fort Lauderdale Florida

Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: CL, 6E
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

This looks great. I looked for the indicators to download so I can follow along. I can not seem to locate them. Can anyone post the pages or links where they are at in the download section. I did a search and can not locate them.

I appreciate any help on this, it looks like a great system

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 15, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts