NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

STRATEGYDESK JOURNAL

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ShruggedAtlas with 38 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TechTrader with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cory with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TechTrader with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cory with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ShruggedAtlas with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 16,388 views
    2. thumb_up 23 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 53 posts
    2. attach_file 17 attachments

Search this Thread

STRATEGYDESK JOURNAL

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Welcome back

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois
1% better Daily

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 838
Thanks Received: 471

so didya stick to the $100 risk on Monday?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

ShruggedAtlas View Post
Ok I'm back. took a bit longer to get back to trading than I thought.

Not a great start to my resumption of trading so far. these last couple of days I have been trading with way too much capital. I'm not sure why but I did take far too much risk these last couple of days. I have been trading SNDK after giving up SPY due to it's higher ATR. SNDK seems to been in a decent price range that allows me to keep my share amount low and the beta is high enough to exploit some good moves on most typical days. But maybe that is why I took on too much risk? I don't know. Impulse i guess...maybe the time off has got me impatient to make some money.

I had two days of overnight holds which is against my rules as a day trader. I was fortunate that yesterdays price movement began to move in my favor after a few minutes for 10am. I had placed a long trade near the close three days ago as price had moved steadily down that whole afternoon. I was down about $1,000 a few bars after the open yesterday and fortunately sucked it up and waited for that first bounce. SNDK reversed strongly just before 10am and put me in a winning position. I ended that trade with about a $2,000 gain. What a thrill but the risk was far too great. When I looked back on the trade I saw no good technical reason why I should have done that. It was a complete impulse trade and for that I have to say it was a bad trade even though it was a winner.

The next trade I took was again at the end of the day yesterday. Actually, it was a post session short play. What a huge mistake! I shorted 1,000 shares and thought I was a genius when I heard the news about the debt talks stalling yada yada and proceded to kick myself as SNDK took some cocaine and began to fly north instead. Again, thinking i was invincible after the lucky break I got yesterday I preceded to periodically sell short $1,000 share a pop ignoring all common sense and disregarding even the most basic of rules. I pretty much broke every rule EVER! I finally put my last short in near the high of the day at about 43.60. I think the Gods were watching over me because that was in fact the reversal and the stock preceded to move lower for the rest of the day in a fairly orderly manner. I was down several thousand dollars at around 11am when the reversal came. I hung on as the price dropped but almost covered when there was a retracement around 2:30 this afternoon. I held on and covered just as it hovered above my breakeven. My loss for the day was $294 - much of that was commissions. Ironically, had I waited till the end of the day and trusted the sell off I would have done very well. but in the final analysis, it was all just bad trading. I traded like an amateur these last three days and I'm very disappointed. Once again, it's time to get back to basics. Starting Monday, I'm going to stay with a flat $100 risk. I was doing that just great for the longest time...then after I got back from vacation I just became another person!

I need to find that discipline again ASAP.

Monday I'll post a trade and it will be great! I'll stay with the plan, and risk no more than $100. I won't make much...but it will be a great trade! That's what I need now more than every. I'm looking forward to it.

SA, are you still at it with SD?

ShruggedAtlas 
Bloomington

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Received: 75

No longer trading with strategy desk. Using NT. my journal is called Fresh Start Journal and I've been using tumblr mostly for journaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
- Michael Jordan, 5-Time NBA Most Valuable Player, 6-Time NBA Champion
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on August 6, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts