NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tape is my shape (tape reading, time and sales)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bloom with 463 posts (571 thanks)
    2. looks_two pbylina with 193 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Jigsaw Trading with 108 posts (183 thanks)
    4. looks_4 snusnufreak with 96 posts (48 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jigsaw Trading with 1.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bloom with 1.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 snusnufreak with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 pbylina with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 819,613 views
    2. thumb_up 1,142 thanks given
    3. group 265 followers
    1. forum 1,378 posts
    2. attach_file 287 attachments

Search this Thread

Tape is my shape (tape reading, time and sales)

bloom
Russia

Thanks Given: 47
Thanks Received: 591

yachusai View Post
hi , @bloom

@912 some sellers hit the bid then market pullback to 917 from there it again goes to 913 to 912 area . @913 to 912 area lot of sellers hit the bid but price not movedown further so price moves to 915 with less transaction and again goes to 912 this time also sellers hit the bid but no movement , so sellers think something went wrong against them , this time in the move up lot of buyers hit the offer and move the price above .

Correct 100%
Aslo exist scenario than sellers not covering after they saw price is not going down. Think why

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
yachusai
madurai

Thanks Given: 79
Thanks Received: 2

bloom View Post
Correct 100%
Aslo exist scenario than sellers not covering after they saw price is not going down. Think why

I dont know but from your notes i give this answer .

1) Maybe they expect more down side and they put their exit bid below 912 level and they expect late shorts hit their bids

2) at 2nd retracement from 912 to 916 less transaction happen so shorts think no buyers or buyers are not convinced there is long opportunity . so shorts not cover their orders

But above 916 level more transaction happen at offer side and rollon so this maybe shorts stops and new longs

bloom
Russia

yachusai View Post
2) at 2nd retracement from 912 to 916 less transaction happen so shorts think no buyers or buyers are not convinced there is long opportunity . so shorts not cover their orders

Good. Still one more reason exist

yachusai View Post
But above 916 level more transaction happen at offer side and rollon so this maybe shorts stops and new longs

This is why shorts start to cover as they saw no strong enough conviction to sell and strong conviction to buy

Thanked by:
 roadahead 
Dubai UAE

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 54

@bloom, Hi!

Frequently notice the following behavior in ES: very large orders hitting the offer, for example, and the price reverses to the opposite direction immediately or quite soon. What happens to this large trades? Is it a "loss" in our terms? I understand reasons behind such action can be different, but just curious of what you think about that.
See the screenshot of price action of one of recent day (these orders were not covering, definitely new orders hitting the day's high according to me).

Thanks!

bloom
Russia

roadahead View Post
@bloom, Hi!

Frequently notice the following behavior in ES: very large orders hitting the offer, for example, and the price reverses to the opposite direction immediately or quite soon. What happens to this large trades? Is it a "loss" in our terms? I understand reasons behind such action can be different, but just curious of what you think about that.
See the screenshot of price action of one of recent day (these orders were not covering, definitely new orders hitting the day's high according to me).

Thanks!

Attachment 253618

Those prints are stops + breakout traders. They are trapped and train goes the "Pain Station"
This train do this already 100 years. Welcome

druzhinin
Moscow Russia

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 0

Hey bloom, just started to read your thread here. Lots of insights. Glad to see you still on track with all that dom stuff as I`m started to learn order flow myself recently. Do you still recommend to watch monochrome time and sales? Greetings from Moscow Russia tho) Удачи!

bloom
Russia

druzhinin View Post
Hey bloom, just started to read your thread here. Lots of insights. Glad to see you still on track with all that dom stuff as I`m started to learn order flow myself recently. Do you still recommend to watch monochrome time and sales? Greetings from Moscow Russia tho) Удачи!

Yes i do recomend. Thanks

Thanked by:
MessageOfTheTape
Stuttgart, Germany

Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 22

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time writer here.

EDIT: this is in the ES

I have a few, maybe not questions but rather points open for discussion. I decided that I wanted to both learn tape reading and make this my approach to the journey of trading in the beginning of July last year. So as you can see I am a novice still.

I did nothing but watch the numbers run down my laptop screen for for multiple hours a day (I was in University still, so what else would I do from 3.30pm - 10pm?!) until about October last year when I first "saw" something. No kidding, it was pretty exciting.

What I noticed was both large #'s of contracts per trade aswell as a large number of actual trades hitting only one side, e.g. the Ask, without the level breaking towards the upside (in this example) aswell as no trades or maybe just a single 1 lot hitting the Bid. After that the price would drop for whatever amount of points, but I saw it and interpreted it correctly. This is exactly what I had learned from various videos I watched, that there was "more sellers than buyers" since an accumulated number of 1k+ contracts couldn't break a level.

Over the course of the following months though, I began not to "see" this anymore. Yes it still happens on the tape, yes price still reverses after such an event sometimes. I just don't spot it anymore.

Much rather what I'm "seeing" now are Levels (areas of a few ticks), sometimes even a single price that I can spot that "nobody is willing to pay" and thus price reverts. More often than not a few seconds after I said to myself "short" but didn't do anything

Did the market conditions just change? Did i subconciously shift my focus towards it?

I'm not really sure what kind of answers I'm expecting, basically I just wanted to throw this out there, maybe someone else is "seeing" the same as I do?

Sorry for the long introduction and possible grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.

Greetings

Thanked by:
easyjet
Ljubljana

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 2

MessageOfTheTape View Post

...in the beginning...

make your approach to trading from an understanding of what is happening ... without it, the tape will not work well...

and a very important moment you must determine what you are looking for in the tape, and not just the balance or imbalance of power ..
There is something in the tape that will give you the right entry into the deal ... This is the key to understanding the tape reading

Good luck

Thanked by:
bloom
Russia

MessageOfTheTape View Post

I have a few, maybe not questions but rather points open for discussion. I decided that I wanted to both learn tape reading and make this my approach to the journey of trading in the beginning of July last year. So as you can see I am a novice still.

I did nothing but watch the numbers run down my laptop screen for for multiple hours a day (I was in University still, so what else would I do from 3.30pm - 10pm?!) until about October last year when I first "saw" something. No kidding, it was pretty exciting.

What I noticed was both large #'s of contracts per trade aswell as a large number of actual trades hitting only one side, e.g. the Ask, without the level breaking towards the upside (in this example) aswell as no trades or maybe just a single 1 lot hitting the Bid. After that the price would drop for whatever amount of points, but I saw it and interpreted it correctly. This is exactly what I had learned from various videos I watched, that there was "more sellers than buyers" since an accumulated number of 1k+ contracts couldn't break a level.

Over the course of the following months though, I began not to "see" this anymore. Yes it still happens on the tape, yes price still reverses after such an event sometimes. I just don't spot it anymore.

Much rather what I'm "seeing" now are Levels (areas of a few ticks), sometimes even a single price that I can spot that "nobody is willing to pay" and thus price reverts. More often than not a few seconds after I said to myself "short" but didn't do anything

Did the market conditions just change? Did i subconciously shift my focus towards it?

I'm not really sure what kind of answers I'm expecting, basically I just wanted to throw this out there, maybe someone else is "seeing" the same as I do?

Sorry for the long introduction and possible grammar mistakes, english is not my native language.

Greetings

you see trees not the forest
All that is happening constantly trapping other traders. You need to know where than how they are trapping. Within that context you can read a tape propely.
They are doing traps using supply and demand phenomens. Buyers always = to sellers. What is differs is that market orders ammount compare to limit orders. If market buy order exceeds selling limits price will go higher and vice versa.
To read the flow you need to know context.
Than i started this thread i was only begining my journey. Tape is only the part of flow. And it is SMALLEST part of it.
I dont know what to say to you man. Just wish you a luck and enough time and resources to study that in a proper way. If not - you are toasted.

Last Updated on November 11, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts