NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

"Too Big to Fail" review

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two whatnext with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 rtrade with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 RM99 with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silvester17 with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ct1942 with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 RM99 with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,309 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 17 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

"Too Big to Fail" review

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

bluemele View Post
I believe he had to sell all his GS stock when he became Treasury Secretary. Tax free....

Yeah the movie mentioned that, something about a special law passed to make it tax free... nice.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks

whatnext 
Rockland county , New York

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT 7
Trading: CL, 6E, SI, ZC
Thanks Given: 338
Thanks Received: 81

bluemele View Post
I believe he had to sell all his GS stock when he became Treasury Secretary. Tax free....

Had no idea he didn't have to pay taxes on the GS money - unbe-fucking-lievable!

Bill Hurt's acting reminded me of Dick Cheney. And they are similar in some ways - ran things ruthlessly and changed the rules with huge balls, were good at football, nature lovers.

"Be right and sit tight." - Jesse Livermore
 RM99 
Austin, TX

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 124
Thanks Received: 704

couple of things...

I thought the movie was good, but I thought it didn't take on the tough/controversial issues enough. It tried to be informative, without judgement or trying not to offend anyone....with the exception of the portrayal of Fuld.

1) There's a segment in the movie that tries it's best to describe the "play by play" of the housing credit speculation bubble. I thought it TOTALLY glossed over the involvement of Freddie and Fannie and the government's involvement. Essentially, it made the corporate crooks out to be the evil masterminds of the whole ordeal......which was true, but unfortunately, the reality was the Fannie and Freddie were the largest holders of these toxic "subprime" mortgages which was the underpinning element to the whole collapse.

2) As stated above, I thought it went a long way to make Paulsen look like a hero, when in reality, he was just a government employed crook.

3) The movie does a good job of foreshadowing the eventual failure in the bailout in that the banks never did what the government really wanted them to do with the money.........and I think it's left up to the viewer to come to their own conclusions about the success/failure of the bailouts. The movie doesn't address some of the other limitations of government intervention, like unanticipated challenges (regulators always discover that there's some issue they didn't think about....like corporate bonuses, etc).

4) The movie doesn't address at all, the fact that the government later created HAMP, but only for people who's loans were backed by Fannie and Freddie...and only for people who made less than a certain amount.....so if you're a guy who makes $70k a year living in mid-Missouri and bought a $200k house with an FHA loan, you have options. If you're a guy who lives in San Francisco and makes $150k a year and bought a $400k shoebox in what would be considered an otherwise "prime" mortgage NOT through FHA....chances are....you're screwed. You can't even do what's called a "short" refinance.

the bottom line is that the bailouts only bailed out wall street. The rest of America never got much at all for their money.

The government would have LITERALLY been better off buying up toxic assets and transferring them to section 8 housing.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

I remember reading last year or two years ago that Bank Of America had received like 150,000 HAMP applications, and only approved 13. Thirteen.

HAMP is just another joke, the bottom line is if the Bank doesn't make more profit via HAMP, they won't approve you. I had a friend go through this process, he spent over a year perpetually filling out hamp applications with his lender, every phone call he was lied to just to get him off the phone. It's enough to make a sane person want to blow up a bank.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 RM99 
Austin, TX

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 124
Thanks Received: 704

Big Mike View Post
I remember reading last year or two years ago that Bank Of America had received like 150,000 HAMP applications, and only approved 13. Thirteen.

HAMP is just another joke, the bottom line is if the Bank doesn't make more profit via HAMP, they won't approve you. I had a friend go through this process, he spent over a year perpetually filling out hamp applications with his lender, every phone call he was lied to just to get him off the phone. It's enough to make a sane person want to blow up a bank.

Mike

In 2009, I was laid off from my job. I went without work for 5 months. I got 3 months behind on my mortgage. Upon regaining employment (I was one of 800 applicants for my job), all I wanted was to reissue the mortgage and push what I owed to the back end. Not a reduction in principal, not a reduction in payments, no alteration to the interest rates (which had fallen by then).....I simply wanted the same payment, just push what I owed to the back.

I explored HAMP and found out that I wasn't eligible because my mortgage wasn't backed by Fannie or Freddie (and even if I did, I made too much money).

I then tried to apply through Wells Fargo's voluntary program. At first, I was LITERALLY told "we can't even talk to you until you're 6 months behind." So I LITERALLY had to skip 3 more payments in order to even apply.... I applied 11 times. 11 times. Every time I would apply, I'd call and call, only to be shuffled around and then discover after a month went by that my paperwork had sat on someone's desk and was 30 days old and therefore, out of date.

After going through this for over a year, the bank finally processed my request and denied me, even though I'd been making all the payments up to the point of my layoff, and after I found a new job.

If that wasn't bad enough, I watched as homebuilders built NEW homes in my neighborhood because most homebuyers avoided short sales like the plague. Short sales require you to put up earnest money that's tied up for upward of 90 days while the bank processes it, only to find out the bank says no. So here were/are all these short sales that sat vacant, while people bought brand new houses. Sickening.

It's beyond the notion that the banks are too incompetent or bureacratic to clear these distressed properties off their books....it's ALMOST like they intentionally try to delay or impede the process.

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

RM99 View Post
In 2009, I was laid off from my job. I went without work for 5 months. I got 3 months behind on my mortgage. Upon regaining employment (I was one of 800 applicants for my job), all I wanted was to reissue the mortgage and push what I owed to the back end. Not a reduction in principal, not a reduction in payments, no alteration to the interest rates (which had fallen by then).....I simply wanted the same payment, just push what I owed to the back.

I explored HAMP and found out that I wasn't eligible because my mortgage wasn't backed by Fannie or Freddie (and even if I did, I made too much money).

I then tried to apply through Wells Fargo's voluntary program. At first, I was LITERALLY told "we can't even talk to you until you're 6 months behind." So I LITERALLY had to skip 3 more payments in order to even apply.... I applied 11 times. 11 times. Every time I would apply, I'd call and call, only to be shuffled around and then discover after a month went by that my paperwork had sat on someone's desk and was 30 days old and therefore, out of date.

After going through this for over a year, the bank finally processed my request and denied me, even though I'd been making all the payments up to the point of my layoff, and after I found a new job.

If that wasn't bad enough, I watched as homebuilders built NEW homes in my neighborhood because most homebuyers avoided short sales like the plague. Short sales require you to put up earnest money that's tied up for upward of 90 days while the bank processes it, only to find out the bank says no. So here were/are all these short sales that sat vacant, while people bought brand new houses. Sickening.

It's beyond the notion that the banks are too incompetent or bureacratic to clear these distressed properties off their books....it's ALMOST like they intentionally try to delay or impede the process.

I disagree with you on that. It was not the banks job to do this and was enacted by congress which caused significant distress upon the workflow at these organizations. I think the banks had 2 choices, hire a bunch of unqualified or laid off mortgage brokers to handle this temporarily, or just let it string out.

I think being the libertarian type that you could appreciate having the government tell you what to do and not abiding by it in the fullest intent.

In my opinion, these laws shouldn't have even been enacted and it is up to the banks how they want to deal with it. Now, of course, we are the idiots who bought most of these mortgages, so it is our own doing by eating our own spoiled supper.

I applied as well for my rental properties that I owned. They laughed at me...

My friend did it and she got it instantly! So, different strokes for different folks...

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 843
Thanks Received: 471

just watched it. Allstar cast and good movie

rtrade 
Paradise, USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Big Charts
Trading: E-mini, Forex, Futures, Equities, Options
Thanks Given: 578
Thanks Received: 378

Bermudan Option View Post
just watched it. Allstar cast and good movie

Just wondering, what if the cast characters in the movie...you know, the ones that should be under investigation, but made out like BANDITS paid the producer to make this movie? Just wondering out loud...hmm.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." --- "Therefore, I Believe it and I will see it. And every day and in every way, I am healthier, wealthier, and wiser."

Last Updated on June 25, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts