NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Lance Begg vs Al Brooks

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Lornz with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two forrestang with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 4 posts (11 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 4 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one trader1512 with 8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lsubeano with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 monpere with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 46,934 views
    2. thumb_up 39 thanks given
    3. group 18 followers
    1. forum 33 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Lance Begg vs Al Brooks

Zwaen 
Netherlands, Blaricum

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Excel, Python, R
Broker: IB
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 848
Thanks Received: 238

@ Mercury, are you trading the setups already?

I must say for lance the chapter where the traded examples are described minute by minute are very very good, because you can follow his thoughts while price is developing in his trade bar for bar. Haven't found anything as good( detailed ) as that. If anyone knows anything like that - from another source - please let me know, I'm interested in learning more.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

That is a fair point. I am quite familiar with Mr. Brooks, though. But I will not suffer through his book, that is quite certain. As for Mr. Beggs, I took a look at his website and it did not inspire confidence.

I would much rather read some of the old classics, most of the new ones are just rehashing content anyway.

This is a good book for beginners:

Amazon.com: Technical Analysis and Stock Market Profits (9780273630951): Richard. Schabacker, Donald.(Ed Mack: Books

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

I think all discretionary methods are equally useless.

I'm not saying that to say that one can't make money with something learned from someone else..... but I think in the end it's a matter of THAT method making sense to the person trying to deploy it.

I believe they are all just as good, and just as bad as the next one. I'm sure someone has managed to trade with principles from Wyckoff and failed, and then got ahold of Brooks' Method, which may have made more sense that THAT individual..... or vice versa.

kamicrazy
New Zealand

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 32

I'm currently reading through lances' material. I find his writing style to be a bit difficult, I am mildly dyslexic and his prose causes me problems.

However the concepts he presents in it are well explained and in depth. Since it is discretionary trading, on a personal level I feel comfortable with his methods and it does make logical sense to me the way he reasons what he does.

He does not believe in indicators or mechanical systems and I get the message that he believes auto trading should be left to institutions with vast resources and expertise.

Mercury 
PU , India

Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Nifty Futures
Thanks Given: 148
Thanks Received: 35

Zwaen View Post
@ Mercury, are you trading the setups already?

I must say for lance the chapter where the traded examples are described minute by minute are very very good, because you can follow his thoughts while price is developing in his trade bar for bar. Haven't found anything as good( detailed ) as that. If anyone knows anything like that - from another source - please let me know, I'm interested in learning more.

Hi, Zwaen,
U r rt, Beggs writing style is simple.
about ur question on me trading his setups..Answer is NO.
I trade Market Profile, bt problem i was facing with it was Timing(Entry /exits) , so i apply his concepts of MTF analysis on MP, so its helping me for timing trades.

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

forrestang View Post
I think all discretionary methods are equally useless.

I'm not saying that to say that one can't make money with something learned from someone else..... but I think in the end it's a matter of THAT method making sense to the person trying to deploy it.

I believe they are all just as good, and just as bad as the next one. I'm sure someone has managed to trade with principles from Wyckoff and failed, and then got ahold of Brooks' Method, which may have made more sense that THAT individual..... or vice versa.

Well, per definition a discretionary system can't really be learnt. The key ingredient will be mind of the person trading it. The most important thing for a discretionary trader would be risk and money management in order to remain solvent when wrong.

There are many ways of making money in the markets, and people should do what they feel is best for them.

But there are still a lot of valid concepts in the works of, e.g., Wyckoff. Things like S/R never go out of fashion, and can easily be incorporated in automated systems, as well....

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Lornz View Post
Well, per definition a discretionary system can't really be learnt. The key ingredient will be mind of the person trading it. The most important thing for a discretionary trader would be risk and money management in order to remain solvent when wrong.

There are many ways of making money in the markets, and people should do what they feel is best for them.

But there are still a lot of valid concepts in the works of, e.g., Wyckoff. Things like S/R never go out of fashion, and can easily be incorporated in automated systems, as well....

You said I think in a more concise manner of what I was saying in your first 2 paragraphs.

I think given enough time, a trader will eventually form whatever realizations necessary to make ANY discretionary system work. Could be as rudimentary as a ma cross I would imagine, but eventually, the trader would be mainly forming patterns in his head about how the price moves along with the ma.

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

I have not read any of Al Brooks' books, but I picked up an interesting morsel of info in his webinar on futures.io (formerly BMT). That is, he says he trades "don't care size", meaning he trades a number of contracts that is small enough not to affect him psychologically, win or loose on every trade. If his account will allow him to trade 10 contracts, he will trade 2. This way, you can trade your method without affecting it through fear and greed. I do the same thing, but never really thought about it much. I think most traders would benefit from this approach.

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

forrestang View Post
You said I think in a more concise manner of what I was saying in your first 2 paragraphs.

I think given enough time, a trader will eventually form whatever realizations necessary to make ANY discretionary system work. Could be as rudimentary as a ma cross I would imagine, but eventually, the trader would be mainly forming patterns in his head about how the price moves along with the ma.

I tend to agree. But only the successful ones. A large number of people will never make it as traders, that is the sad truth.

I hold the belief that successful discretionary trading ultimately can be attributed to genetics/biology.

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Lornz View Post
I tend to agree. But only the successful ones.

Hehe..... ya I figured that was understood.

But then again, it's not about the system, it's about the person able to deploy it.

Last Updated on January 9, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts