NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How do the prices of derivatives relate to prices of their underlyings?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one dyross with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 4 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 whatnext with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 4,102 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 11 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

How do the prices of derivatives relate to prices of their underlyings?

dyross
San Francisco

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

whatnext View Post
Can't prove anything regarding who had a clear advantage in potentially the most profitable day in trading history. Even if I did I wouldn't have the balls to post it - nor the big (but circumstantial) chunk of the puzzle I saw 10 days later. FWIW it's well known that not all venues of trade were subject to the same (unheard of ?) 30% max profit limitation.

It took a while to come out but Zero Hedge prove the flash crash was a result of quote stuffing (in my book at least).

What I incorrectly said caused it at the time was the high frequency trading algos going from buy to sell. 100's of thousands of HFT's are sent out every second. Almost all of them cancel out but the ones that don't break up big orders which pushes up the buy limit of the order. Not great if it's your order but great if you already owned the equity. If they go from buy to sell that would be reversed and the number of liquidity providing old fashion market makers has gone down a good amount.

Right, so how does that affect underlying stocks?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

whatnext 
Rockland county , New York

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT 7
Trading: CL, 6E, SI, ZC
Thanks Given: 338
Thanks Received: 81

Don't know if or how much each long/short of an ES contract pushes up or down the underling 500 companies of the S&P.

Quote stuffing disables the filling of new orders so only sells are filled (sells make a stock go down).

Not a 100% but think a reverse of HFT algos, from buy to sell, would push down the limits of buy price range and / or up the limits of shorting.

Last Updated on May 6, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts