NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 137,386 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Only half succeeded in applying yesterday's goals.

Tomorrow - must try harder.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Market Structure a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	56541   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Market Structure b.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	56542   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Trades a.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	56543   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Trades b.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	56544   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Trades c.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	56545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Trades d.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	56546   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-06 Notes.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	56607  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Reduced trading session today, only trading from 11:30 to 15:30 but still enough time to learn from my mistakes.

My main mistakes today were:

a) not actually doing the analysis in the first place at crucial points in the trade plan
It was an unusual situation with a big spike in the middle of a setup so I had a lot more to consider than under normal circumstances, in other words the reason I wasn't doing it was that I was quite confused by some of the price action - so I didn't forget, I just didn't get beyond the initial interpretation.

b) and when I did get beyond 'it looks bullish / bearish", I read the market badly, missing a ton of signs that I should have taken into account.

What conclusions can I draw from this? Probably the best course of action was to stand aside which I considered, violating another rule - only trading when it's obvious what to do.

I think my goal for tomorrow will be to make sure I know when I have done the best analysis I can, and to note down more bullish signs vs bearish signs, and to keep a mental note that I have done the analysis, so that I know I'm not flying blind, like I did today.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-12-07 Market Structure a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	56626   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-07 Market Structure b.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	56627   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-07 Trades a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	56628   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-07 Notes.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	56629  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

9 trades.

Not bad result in terms of pips but a bucket load of mistakes. I think basically I only made 2 good trades, and messed up 7 and missed a few more.

My goals were to make sure I carried out a good analysis of bull vs bear strength and weakness, and to establish my last wholesale price at a setup (aka last good entry point) and the stop and targets before entering.

To a certain extent I did this but I discovered that my estimate of the last wholesale price was giving me last good entry points which I thought were so poor I would never use it. On one trade I also realised that I'd missed the whole push of order flow which I was trying to ride and had entered just as the order flow stopped and a stall set in. That's one of the charts below.

Another issue is with exit management. Up until today I was managing my exits either as "loose stops" or as "tight stops" (or scalping) and I wasn't using any sound basis to decide, I was almost flipping a coin in my head. Today I realised that I need to manage my stops with reference to my expectations of what the market was going to do when I entered. I had literally just entered a trade thinking the market was about to step off a cliff, and in fact it did nothing, and then went the other way. I figured it was going to fall off a cliff because it had just done that twice before in this session, and when suddenly it didn't and I got stopped out, I was the fool thinking "oh I'll use loose stops now because I'm always getting stopped out". Of course that was dumb. If it was going to fall, I wouldn't need any stops, so tight stops would be best just in case it failed.

Later on I did something similar, thinking the price action showed a reversal in process, but I forgot I'd just been managing my last trade on the 3min chart with 3min price action, and the action I was looking at now was on the 1min chart and not nearly as significant - I realised after I'd dived in

I completely missed a bear channel break-out, I didn't even see the channel. I just thought it was something weird and new. I'm talking about the 12:00 to 12:30 swing where it alternated green / red / green / red all the way. I guess it hypnotised me.

Re goals from yesterday, I should have carried out the bull vs bear strength / weakness analysis more often.

I think also a couple of the trades were just unlucky. The second-to-last trade - the only reason I had not to be bearish still was the reversal bar at the S/R level - and generally there's some kind of reversal signal at an S/R level as the market pulls back after the BO - where it's going to continue or fail.

So, goals for tomorrow:

(1) refine my bull vs bear strength/weakness analysis to get quicker at it
(2) improve my 'order flow forecasting' to work out where the last wholesale price is.

PS Big Mike: if I'm taking up too much bandwidth and server space with my swathe of screenshot mark-ups, just let me know

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-12-08 Market Structure a.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	56788   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Market Structure b.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	56789   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Trades a.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	56790   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Trades b.jpg
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	56791   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Trades c.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	56792   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Trades d.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	56793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Trades e.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	56794   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Notes a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	720.9 KB
ID:	56795   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Notes b.jpg
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	56796   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-08 Lessons Learnt a.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	56797  

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,608

Adamus View Post
PS Big Mike: if I'm taking up too much bandwidth and server space with my swathe of screenshot mark-ups, just let me know

Not at all. Keep right on going.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

6 trades taken, 7 missed.

1: profitable but messed up entry, going in unprepared
2 & 3: profitable but missed entries
4: B/E
5: profitable but stops too close, only got B/E
6: bad entry, not a valid trade if had waited to see BO & PB action
7, 8 & 9: profitable but missed entries (PBs on way down after 13:30)
10 & 11: valid but failed and missed them anyway (at 14:00 lows)
12: bad entry, would have avoided if I did the prep
13: good profitable.

If I was trading every trade well..... the pigs are taxi-ing to the runway and ready for take-off.

Lessons learnt: I need to be quicker, to have some kind of checklist in mind to run through before each trade - have I got the correct principle? have I got an up-to-the-minute read on the bias? do I know which setup is developing? do I have an idea where the order flow will appear? where is the stop going? is the R:R alright? Then place the order!

Next session: implement that checklist. Don't enter a trade without doing it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-12-09 Market Structure a.jpg
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	56947   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09 Trades a.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	56948   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09 Trades b.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	56949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09 Trades c.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	56950   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09 Lessons Learnt a.jpg
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	56951   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-09 Notes a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	647.8 KB
ID:	56958  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

A quiet trending day which offered a new set of challenges.

I was bearish all the way but thought it kept getting too weak at key points to offer any high probability setups.

I took 1 trade and missed 1 good trade, perhaps missed 3 more trades in the same direction.

The 1 trade I did take was a disaster. I skipped a crucial step in my new checklist - falling at the first hurdle.

It was so quiet I'd added a big trend channel line down, just for something to do, and then I invented a plan to trade it. Instead of something simple I made it too complicated, trying to find a setup in each direction and
giving myself too much to keep in mind. So the moral of the story is Keep It Simple - even when it's quiet.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-12-12 Notes.jpg
Size:	913.1 KB
ID:	57084   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-12 Trades a.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	57085   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-12 Trades b.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	57086   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-12 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	57155  
Thanked by:
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

For your range on chart three what if you drew the top of it at the high of the 11:24 candle and the bottom at the low of the swing which was formed at the 11:33 candle. this would have given you a TST (short) where you made your trade. I usually find these difficult when there is a supply or demand line running through the middle of the range like this. Hindsight brings clarity though. Keep it up, your learning is improving!

I really like how you have this chart displayed and marked up.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

thewardiknowof View Post
For your range on chart three what if you drew the top of it at the high of the 11:24 candle and the bottom at the low of the swing which was formed at the 11:33 candle. this would have given you a TST (short) where you made your trade. I usually find these difficult when there is a supply or demand line running through the middle of the range like this. Hindsight brings clarity though. Keep it up, your learning is improving!

I really like how you have this chart displayed and marked up.

I see what you mean.

What would you have done when that TST failed though? Would you just move the upper range boundary to the high of the 12:44 candle and do it again?

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

Adamus View Post
I see what you mean.

What would you have done when that TST failed though? Would you just move the upper range boundary to the high of the 12:44 candle and do it again?

Would 12:44 have been a BOF? If you wen short 1 pip below with a STOP 1 pip above the candle it appears it would have kept the trade short to the bottom of the range which it moved toward with strength at about 13:06, which then (in hindsight) you could have moved T2 to the next level.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

thewardiknowof View Post
Would 12:44 have been a BOF? If you wen short 1 pip below with a STOP 1 pip above the candle it appears it would have kept the trade short to the bottom of the range which it moved toward with strength at about 13:06, which then (in hindsight) you could have moved T2 to the next level.

I'm just imagining what I would have done in real-time and I can only see that move up to 1.3275 as bullish on the way to S/R @1.3281. Then the stall set in so maybe that would have let me think bearish - even more so after the dip down @12:50 and then maybe - just maybe - I would have picked up the break-out down out of what looks like a weak bull channel from 12:50 to 13:00 - which was essentially Principle 2 - weak [bear] trend making CPB.

One of my weak points is spotting narrow ranges. I can pick up on big ranges as a big sideways trend is pretty obvious and the Euro seems to start off the European session inside the Asian session range by default quite a lot.

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts