NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,609 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Psy24X 
Milano, Italy, EU

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja + Jigsaw
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 129
Thanks Received: 25

Adamus View Post
Thanks v. much for reminding me of the Zig-Zag indicator.

I'm glad that at least something of my verbose post can be of immediate use to you !

Good luck testing with the Zig-Zag, then, and keep us posted.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
58 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
55 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
48 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
29 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

The Zig-zag indie gets me the swing points, but it doesn't any more than that, so it leaves the calculation to me to work out if the swing points are all heading up or down or whatever. And actually they are not really the swing points as per the simple definition of having 2 bars before and 2 bars after lower / higher.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Psy24X 
Milano, Italy, EU

Platform: Ninja + Jigsaw
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 129
Thanks Received: 25

Psy24X View Post
This is the link to Barry Burns video:

Webinar Recording |

...and the .pdf that comes with it.

https://www.topdogtrading.com/How_to_Time_Your_Entries_Outline.pdf

It is all part of the free sectioin of his website, but I agree that it's not easy to find.

In any case, this is just one suggestion: I guess that your main problem now is to simplify as much as possible your view of the market. To this end any simple but rational general theory of the market can be very useful, provided it resonates with you.

This post is just to testify that I moved completely away Barry Burns approach in the meantime.

I would no longer suggest his material.

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

It seems like no time but 2 years have flown by since my last trading attempts. A demanding full-time job and two young children ate up all my free time so trading hasn't been a possibility. Now that my offspring have got a little bit older and a little bit less demanding (especially nights which was always the killer), I think I might be able to ring-fence some time every week to devote to trading-related activities.

Whenever I look at the charts again, I still see all the things I used to see in terms of price action. I want to make use of that, so I'm going to stick with the price action trader approach from Lance Beggs.

I'll be looking at trading the daily chart, using yearly, monthly and weekly charts to provide market structure and S/R as well.

My main aim will be to prove to myself that price action trading can be done profitably.

Now that I've put some time between myself and my trading frustrations in 2013, I readily admit that I had given myself a mountain to climb trying to operate on the 3-min chart. Not only is price action trading in itself very demanding, but at that frequency it is so easy to make mistakes. I wasn't able to internalise the decision-making process, and I had made some poor strategic decisions too.

Rather than blame the tools I was working with, I have no reason to abandon them at all and hope this time around that I can use them more effectively.

It feels good to be back and I'm going to enjoy finding out how Big Mike Trading has changed over the last couple of years.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Adamus for this post:
 jmont1 
New York, NY

Platform: NinjaTrader8
Broker: Data = Rithmic -- Gives 70 Level II Data
Trading: 6C (Low Margin,) 6E, CL, GC, ES and Maybe DX for smaller tick value
Thanks Given: 1,719
Thanks Received: 1,019

Adamus View Post
It seems like no time but 2 years have flown by since my last trading attempts. A demanding full-time job and two young children ate up all my free time so trading hasn't been a possibility. Now that my offspring have got a little bit older and a little bit less demanding (especially nights which was always the killer), I think I might be able to ring-fence some time every week to devote to trading-related activities.

Whenever I look at the charts again, I still see all the things I used to see in terms of price action. I want to make use of that, so I'm going to stick with the price action trader approach from Lance Beggs.

I'll be looking at trading the daily chart, using yearly, monthly and weekly charts to provide market structure and S/R as well.

My main aim will be to prove to myself that price action trading can be done profitably.

Now that I've put some time between myself and my trading frustrations in 2013, I readily admit that I had given myself a mountain to climb trying to operate on the 3-min chart. Not only is price action trading in itself very demanding, but at that frequency it is so easy to make mistakes. I wasn't able to internalise the decision-making process, and I had made some poor strategic decisions too.

Rather than blame the tools I was working with, I have no reason to abandon them at all and hope this time around that I can use them more effectively.

It feels good to be back and I'm going to enjoy finding out how Big Mike Trading has changed over the last couple of years.

@Adamus; welcome back and best of luck to you.

No real major updated trading hints for you but here are a couple of comments:

NinjaTrader 8 is coming and coders are getting ready for it. HIGHLY recommend you try @gomi's new IMPROVED subscription based Market Profile and Order Flow that works on NT7, NT8 and Sierra Chart (SC.) The download has a 20 day free trial:

MANY of the trading rooms now seem to be using a form of Renko bars in their trading plan. I.e... Look at a 1440 minute time frame, then a 60 minute, confirming R/S levels down to a tick chart and then a Renko chart for entry.

Trading rooms have exploded into over 1,100. All say they are the best. Most offer a trial period. My room that I subscribe to tradingfuturesinaction - Live futures traders offers a whole week for trial. These guys are really good and their trading record is on their web site as well as a request for a trial. Unlike the rooms you were probably famiiiar back then there is no entry fee or long term commitment. They are a monthly fee that can start and stop at your discretion. Once set you are grandfathered for that price - unless you cancel - then coming back in sets new price.

The fact you have been gone for two years and come right back into Futures.io hihlights the value of this sites' lifetime membership.

Sincerely hope you great success!!!

The following user says Thank You to jmont1 for this post:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts