NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,609 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Zwaen 
Netherlands, Blaricum

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Excel, Python, R
Broker: IB
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 848
Thanks Received: 238

What I meaned was creating something like the " odd enhancers calculator" like Sam Seiden.

The following user says Thank You to Zwaen for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
58 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
50 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
47 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
31 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,167
Thanks Received: 6,018

Guys,

You often speak about the importance of support/resistance and as mentionned in the article "they are the corner stone of any trading plan". Do you consider the identification of support and resistance a subjective process ?

The following user says Thank You to trendisyourfriend for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,143
Thanks Received: 101,476

trendisyourfriend View Post
Do you consider the identification of support and resistance a subjective process ?

Subjective mainly in relation to the time frame. I think that ten traders all looking at the identical chart should come up with very near the same support/resistance levels.

But the problem is when you change time frames, and then of course when you realize that some traders are looking to scalp 4 ticks, and some traders are looking to hold for 40 points.

Also some traders define support and resistance primarily in terms of horizontal lines at highs and lows. Other traders use channels and trend lines and call the top/bottom of those support and resistance. Others still may use market profile like value area's and point of control to define support or resistance.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Big Mike for this post:

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Zwaen View Post
That is a good article, in my memory i read it indeed 4-5 months ago.

The " rules" I have made for myself are also somewhat discretionary, and not programmable I think( I am no programmer). These rules are based on observation and then " testing" on historical charts.

I think what I call " quantifying" isn't what you mean by " quantifying" :-)

So for example, if I would make some " rules " for a test of support ( go long at support) in accordance to the article, the rules could have been:
-take entry directly IF price reaches level not too hard ( not too hard= mental picture)
-take entry only IF signalbar forms and enter above this candle ( signalcandle=hammer, piercing, bullcandle etc)
-take entry ONLY if price moved fast earlier from support
-take entry ONLY if this is the 1st test.
-When in trade, bounce should move at least about xx points in y bars ( mental picture) because I want strong reaction.
-After this reaction retrament may only be about max 70%
- IF price stalls for about 4 bars after entry -> prematurely exit trade
etc

For the pullbacks I have some rules for example:
-slope on pullback must be decreasing ( increasing slope is NoGo) due to overlap candles / decreasing range candles
-Maximum of 2 tails against my postion
-retracement maximum 70%
-Need signalcandle
-1 doji is not good signalcandle ( unless slope is very weak) but 2 doji's is also oke
-need minimum about 10-15 pips room till hook
etc ( ofcourse these are by far not all rules because I think structure is more important then entry )

All I know of Sam Seiden's odds enhancer calculator is what I've read in discussions here. However it is on my long term list of things to check out. I like your rules for going long at support - it seems you have conquered your dislike of reversals

From looking at 100 days of EUR.USD, I would say that 50% of the time, the price stalls after the BOF setup. In fact it happens so often sometimes I got confused whether you are meant to wait for the stall or not. Just to underline my lack of experience though, I have no recollection of whether the stall confirms the setup, fails it, or has no impact!

Obviously though the best stall is one that happens just like the examples in YTC PAT......

Actually I think the stall just provides a platform for an entry trigger, e.g. up/down twin bars, or a chance to get in if you're convinced about the bias.

Now I'm looking at real-time data, I have to decide what hours I'm going to trade. I guess I'll just trade the most convenient hours that fit in with the rest of my day, but that seems like a non-decision. Do you have a preference?

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Adamus for this post:

Zwaen 
Netherlands, Blaricum

Adamus View Post

Now I'm looking at real-time data, I have to decide what hours I'm going to trade. I guess I'll just trade the most convenient hours that fit in with the rest of my day, but that seems like a non-decision. Do you have a preference?

I think the best price action is roughly
09.00-11.00
14.30-17.30
[GMT +01.00]
So if nothing exciting happens the market will mostly be dull between 11.30-14.00

Mostly at 12.00-13.30 I do mountainbiking or jogging for physical excercise and fresh air (non-informational side-information)

btw terratec @ the 6E thread also said roughly the same, you should take a look, but you probably have done it already

The following 4 users say Thank You to Zwaen for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,143
Thanks Received: 101,476

Adamus View Post
From looking at 100 days of EUR.USD, I would say that 50% of the time, the price stalls after the BOF setup.

BOF?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Zwaen 
Netherlands, Blaricum

Guys,

You often speak about the importance of support/resistance and as mentionned in the article "they are the corner stone of any trading plan". Do you consider the identification of support and resistance a subjective process ?

Sorry I have no idea what you mean ( not at that level yet ) but I'm just investigating priceaction in neighbourhood of recent price-swings/areas where price moved really fast from in conjunction with higher tf trend & market structure

The following user says Thank You to Zwaen for this post:

Adamus 
London, UK

Guys,

The process I use at present to identify support and resistance is not subjective - I could program it into a mechanical trading system. I just use lines.

However often the lines come thick and fast and I realised recently that the areas or zones of S/R that people discuss are probably more realistic, and I think identifying such zones would require more skill and be less objective.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Zwaen View Post
I think the best price action is roughly
09.00-11.00
14.30-17.30
[GMT +01.00]
So if nothing exciting happens the market will mostly be dull between 11.30-14.00

Mostly at 12.00-13.30 I do mountainbiking or jogging for physical excercise and fresh air (non-informational side-information)

btw terratec @ the 6E thread also said roughly the same, you should take a look, but you probably have done it already

Thanks for using GMT+1 - you actually confused me more since I thought you were in GMT+2 zone

I was surprised that @ terratec hadn't mentioned 06:00 - 09:00 but then neither did you. From my limited experience it always seems that there is something going on there, whether it's a Asian session break-out or morning reversal or whatever.

EDIT: hold on I just re-read terratec's post. He was talking in CET timezone. So he recommends GMT+1 07:00 to 08:00 but while that's partly what I like, I would prefer to catch all the action from GMT+1 06:00 although I admit there are days when nothing happens in that first hour. Plus it would be challenging to see whether my brain would function for trading at that time.

I am realistically not going to be able to trade that time slot though due to little people running around the house at that time creating carnage. The other normal European day is also not ideal since I would rather have one long session than two shorter with a big break. We'll see.

Adamus 
London, UK

Big Mike View Post
BOF?

Mike

Break-Out Failure.

BPB = Break-out Pull-Back
and
CPB = Complex Pull-Back.

Abbreviations from YTC PAT. Are there other TLAs for them? I don't believe so. Al Brooks uses so many I lost the big picture there.

The following user says Thank You to Adamus for this post:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts