NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 137,249 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

I've come up with a stripped down set of rules for trading S/R levels during fast market conditions.

I've watched about 10 sessions over the last few months where volatility has come into the market in a big way and price shoots off so quick the YTC PAT trading strategy I'm using just says "don't trade". I see the market still interacts with S/R in a big way though. So I stripped down the YTC PAT rules for trading break-outs at S/R levels.

Break-out continuation setup: when price penetrates the S/R level, wait for the pull-back to take price back over the S/R line. To be definite about this and to allow time to react, penetration of the S/R level means at least 1.5 pips gone - and the pull-back must retrace 1.5 pips back over the line too. Then place the entry stop order right on the line.

If filled, put the stop 1 ATR away from the line. I use an 8 bar 3min ATR.

Put the target 1.5 pips in front of the next S/R level.

Keep them there until one or the other is filled - the market should be moving so fast that there is hardly time to consider anything else anyway.

Break-out Failure:

after price touches or penetrates S/R, if it doesn't continue by the rule defined above, then enter a reversal when the next bar forms a reversal pattern - a reversal bar, a doji break etc.

Put the stop at least 1 ATR away or at the S/R level if further.

Don't take the trade if the R:R is less than 1:1.

Also only take one entry at any S/R level interaction - if it fails, it fails - wait for the next opportunity at the next level. Trying to do more will lead to errors (for me for sure) and probably wouldn't help and just cause whipsaws.

The 1.5 pip rule is actually feasible since price actually hovers around the S/R levels sometimes, even if it sounds pointless in a fast moving market.

I tried that out using market replay on Thurs 9th Feb last week and it works well. When I've got time I'm going to run market replay over other recent big days where I can download the Ninjatrader market replay data.

Of course if a big day happens while I'm sim trading, I'll trade it too and see how the results turn out. If it turns out that this was all just co-incidence that this method brings a decent profit, then that's fine - it will still be good practice making quick decisions which can only benefit my normal strategy.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Late posting these charts from Wednesday after I had a visit to the dentist on Wednesday afternoon.

A pretty good day for trading YTC PAT if you can - there was plenty of opportunity there and I came away with a small handful. Guess I would have been seriously disappointed if I'd still managed to lose money.

Last trade was a real downer, getting myself stopped out again to the pip by drawing my stop in too close too quick after a good entry and then watching a good move go unexploited.

That is a definite sign that my focus and concentration is finished - so I finished the session at that point, I'd already done 3 hours.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-15 SR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	62969   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-15 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	62970   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-15 Trades a.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	62971   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-15 Trades b.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	62972  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Totally messed up my schedule today so I ended up trading the US opening from 13:00 to 15:00, just in time for the start of the bull run up today.

Another day full of great setups, so lots of pips available and I managed to turn a profit out of it - two profitable days in a row, that's a first. If tomorrow goes sideways all day, that will be the real test, to see if I can come out of it with a profitable week.

Same old problems today as ever getting stopped out to the pip. Instead of trailing my stop right on the extreme pip of the big bars, I need to leave just 2 pips gap from where I think it should go and that'll save my position. It's worse on short trades because the chart charts the bid, and I get filled at the ask which is always a pip or so above. So, short trades, add 3 pips on to the price where I reckon the stop should go, and long trades it can be just 2 pips.

I'm checking out the Interactive Brokers' volume feed which is apparently a big fiction - but I'm going to see if I can get anything useful from it anyway - heard enough about volume in recent days to think the info would be useful if it was reliable.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-16 SR.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	62973   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-16 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	62974   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-16 Trades a.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	62975  
Thanked by:
 Cloudy 
desert CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

Hi Adamus. Just saying while your entries or stops may not have been precise as you wanted , your trades look like fine entries based on PA to me with a decent amount of ticks gained. And without a plethora of indicators and good use of s/r. Nice.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Yay, a profitable week. Just. Up on pips but commission makes it look a lot more like just break-even.

Have to do a lot more learning to get some more of what's on offer.

Paid way too much attention to doji breaks than I should have done - I guess I'd begun to think they were silver bullets. Made 3 trades where doji breaks swayed my decision - in fact at least 2 trades based solely on doji breaks, disregarding whether it was my setup or not - stupid. Won't be doing that again.

Missed 3 trades completely - only saw them after the session was over. That's pretty bad - need to put something in my checklist to remind me to think of a reversal entry when I'm visualising what might go wrong.

Started out pretty tired this morning and it really showed. I should not have made trades 3 & 4 when I'd been trading for 2 hours already (or more) and I had just pushed through the fatigue. Just thinking I'm focused doesn't mean I am focused - slight difference. Wish I could figure out a physical test for it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-17 SR.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	63068   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-17 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	63069   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-17 Trades a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	63070   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-17 Trades b.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	63071  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Adamus View Post
I've come up with a stripped down set of rules for trading S/R levels during fast market conditions.

I've watched about 10 sessions over the last few months where volatility has come into the market in a big way and price shoots off so quick the YTC PAT trading strategy I'm using just says "don't trade". I see the market still interacts with S/R in a big way though. So I stripped down the YTC PAT rules for trading break-outs at S/R levels.

Break-out continuation setup: when price penetrates the S/R level, wait for the pull-back to take price back over the S/R line. To be definite about this and to allow time to react, penetration of the S/R level means at least 1.5 pips gone - and the pull-back must retrace 1.5 pips back over the line too. Then place the entry stop order right on the line.

If filled, put the stop 1 ATR away from the line. I use an 8 bar 3min ATR.

Keep them there until one or the other is filled - the market should be moving so fast that there is hardly time to consider anything else anyway.

Break-out Failure:

after price touches or penetrates S/R, if it doesn't continue by the rule defined above, then enter a reversal when the next bar forms a reversal pattern - a reversal bar, a doji break etc.

Put the stop at least 1 ATR away or at the S/R level if further.

Don't take the trade if the R:R is less than 1:1.

Also only take one entry at any S/R level interaction - if it fails, it fails - wait for the next opportunity at the next level. Trying to do more will lead to errors (for me for sure) and probably wouldn't help and just cause whipsaws.

The 1.5 pip rule is actually feasible since price actually hovers around the S/R levels sometimes, even if it sounds pointless in a fast moving market.

I tried that out using market replay on Thurs 9th Feb last week and it works well. When I've got time I'm going to run market replay over other recent big days where I can download the Ninjatrader market replay data.

Of course if a big day happens while I'm sim trading, I'll trade it too and see how the results turn out. If it turns out that this was all just co-incidence that this method brings a decent profit, then that's fine - it will still be good practice making quick decisions which can only benefit my normal strategy.

Tried this out again today on another day of fast market - Tues 2012-02-09 - and I couldn't get to grips with the market replay data from NinjaTrader, compared to the Interactive Brokers data I was using before. NinjaTrader's Euro / USD forex market replay data is full-pip, i.e. no half-pips, which is a bit weird, and its bid-ask spread is 2 pips compared to 0.5 to 1 pip with IB.

On top of that, I couldn't work out what S/R levels were good or not for 9th of Feb - there were just a ton of swing highs and swing lows from the consolidation period in the prior 2 weeks, it made things too complicated. I ended up with too many S/R levels and trying to trade it felt like playing pinball at high speed.

I gave up on the plan as a sidetrack and went back to coding some shortcut buttons for the chart trader.

Adamus 
London, UK

Took the day off because of Labor Day in the US.

I don't think I like that advice not to trade holidays.

Spent the day trying to work out how to trade high volatility (and couldn't) and programming a few buttons to make a few common NinjaTrader things that I do into one click operations.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-20 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	63300   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-20 1minute.jpg
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	63301  

Adamus 
London, UK

Been sick with flu since Wednesday, completely incapable of rational thought until today.

Catching up on stuff, saw that Lance Beggs has posted an excellent article on his website about moving stops to b/e which is what I'm trying to do every trade:

Sometimes a Free-Trade is Not the Best Option | Articles-Risk-Management

Hopefully Monday next week everything will be back on track, although I'm sure my progress will have taken a hit with a whole week out of the markets, knowing the law of progression and regression.

Thanked by:
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

Get well!

Better to abstain from trading in the condition you were in, than trying to trade because you felt you needed to.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

First day back after 10 days without trading and it shows. Although I religiously looked over my notes prior to trading to try to refresh all the critical trading knowledge I possess - didn't look at any charts though, forgetting to go over them was not clever. Took me all day to get back into trading as a result, because effectively it was mainly Complex Pull-Backs on offer. It was a bit like choosing the wrong subjects to revise for an exam.

Anyway, with the market in quiet trending mode and the break-outs not really offering good entries, the Complex Pull-Backs in the trend were the best solution, since they look like reversals and trap counter-trend traders so that there's some momentum to ride out of the setup area on when the trapped traders bail out. The danger is of course is that the trend does reverse, and annoyingly today of all the CPBs I chose to trade, the only one I took was the damn point where the trend reversed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-02-27 SR-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	63961   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-27 SR-2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	63962   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-27 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	63963   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-27 Trades a.jpg
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	63964   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-27 Trades b.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	63965  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts