NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,831 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Now that I've learnt the material on counting highs and lows in the chapter on pull-backs, I'm not going to restrict myself to just H1s and L1s.
  • Setups
    • variations of H/L count to filter for
      • only go long above the 20 EMA
      • only go short below the 20 EMA
      • rebound off the EMA after an extend push above/below it
      • in a good trend, take H1/L1s
      • in a poor trend or trading range, wait for two legs and take H2/L2+
      • after a microtrend or trend line break on the main trend, take any because break-out failures are good
      • double tops / bottoms in pull-back
      • reversal bar in pull-back
      • up-down & down-ups in pull-back
      • double top / bottom twins in trend
    • variations of H/L count to filter against
      • a H/L bar that is countertrend in weak trends
      • preceding double tops / bottoms in trend
      • reversal bar in trend
      • up-down & down-ups in trend
      • trend channel line overshoots in trend
    • ditch H/L signal if it's not triggered during this pullback
    • be very careful if the daily and hourly charts don't display a clear trend, maybe avoid trading until the market gets away from the 6AM Open
    • be more careful when the trend has already put in two legs, even more after 3 legs
    • beware resistance approaching round numbers and big pushes after them
    • daily and hourly trend line S/R
    • swing highs & swing lows and highs and lows of previous day are S/R
  • Execution
    • session: 6am -> 9pm London time (for backtesting, I'll shorten it for live trading obviously)
    • Brooks entry 1 tick above / below signal bar
    • Brooks exits one tick below / above signal bar for initial stop
    • move it to break-even when the 15 pip scalp target is hit
    • let one lot run to the end of the bar after reaching target
    • trail stop one tick below / above 2 bars back
That is my trading plan. Now to test it. I'm going to backtest starting a year ago. The temptation to leapt right in with both feet and trade today with the market volatility and the non-farm employment is huge, but fortunately I'm feeling sensible.

So I need to create some decision matrices to record the performance of this price action.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 TheTrend 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Amibroker
Trading: Futures, Stocks
Thanks Given: 118
Thanks Received: 105

Adamus View Post
be more careful when the trend has already put in two legs, even more after 3 legs

I think you were asking about the EU specificities in an other thread.

One is that trends in the FX market tend to last much longer and to be much more explosive (good break out instrument).

2 or 3 legs doesn't mean the trend will lose strength.

Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Yes, one of the pitfalls of learning to trade forex from an index trader.

Fortunately I'm only testing, but I can still mess up the test by putting too much stuff in it.

I can ditch 'number of legs' from my trade plan and I'm sure I'll still find it challenging to assimilate.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

on the same subject, since you seem to have a bit of experience here, what do you think about trend channel line overshoots? Are they good counter-trend signals in forex as well as stock indices? Brooks seems to give them a cast iron guarantee as a reversal signal.

On another subject, what do you make of the current EUR/USD action? I can't see a way into the current rally, unless is was through the failed break-out of the inside bar after the non-farm employment bar.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (5 Min)  2011-08-05.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	45675  
 TheTrend 
Paris, France

Still a beginner at this game but I've spent almost a year trading Brook's method day in, day out on the EUR/USD.

Finally I gave up discretionary trading and I now try to automate strategies.

Channel Overshoots are very nice but this is a counter trend setup and I prefer putting all my efforts on with trend entries for the Euro.

Adamus 
London, UK

TheTrend View Post
Still a beginner at this game but I've spent almost a year trading Brook's method day in, day out on the EUR/USD.

Finally I gave up discretionary trading and I now try to automate strategies.

Channel Overshoots are very nice but this is a counter trend setup and I prefer putting all my efforts on with trend entries for the Euro.

I'm only taking with-trend entries too - no intention of trying to stretch myself by launching into counter-trend trading as well. In that context, let me rephrase my question: would an overshoot put you off an ensuing with-trend entry?

I'm curious to know why you are concentrating on mechanisation now. I do a lot of it, but I see both styles of trading as possible, in fact complimentary. I hope to get some serendipity out of discretionary trading to boost my mechanical efforts.

TheTrend 
Paris, France

Nothing should prevent you to take a with trend entry, not even an overshoot.

If you enter at the right place, you should be able to get out at a small loss.

Totally agree, both styles are possible and complementary and I think you could even be much more profitable as a discretionary trader IF you can let your emotions out of the way - which is very very difficult when you trade 8 hours a day everyday.

Everyone has to find his own way, I think I 've (almost) found mine

Adamus 
London, UK

I only plan to trade 4 hours a day by hand. I'll be concentrating on the mechanical systems for the rest of the time. More or less.

I'll be interested to see what you're up to on that front.

Adamus 
London, UK

I abandoned that test outlined above. While I'd put it together with what I thought was a decent level of structure, I couldn't stick at it without constant nagging doubts that I was missing something. I think it was the large chunk of time I was about to invest made my subconcious complain. I don't think the test I'd planned contained enough of the 'right stuff' from the bigger picture that I've built up of the field of price action trading.

Trying to concentrate was failing and I ended up reading lots of stuff to add to wikipedia Price Action Trading article. I bit the bullet and paid Lance Beggs the approx USD$200 for his YTC Price Action Trader e-book/course and was instantly hooked. This was what I'd really been looking for.

I've more or less finished reading it all now, approx 16 MB of PDF - and I've torn up my previous test. I'll outline here the new techniques and analyses as I start and progress. It looks as if it's still fertile ground for big tests, decision matrices and a systematic approach, in fact even more so since Lance Beggs's material emphasises structure on every page.

I've put out a call to see if other people are at the same level with YTC Price Action Trader and want to form a study group:

ytc [AUTOLINK]price action[/AUTOLINK] trader getting going

I also discovered this interesting looking thread, which I'm posting here to remind myself to read later:

Traps and failures

Thanked by:
 diverdan 
Singapore

Platform: Multicharts, R
Trading: EUR / USD
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 99

Hi Adamus

I will be really interested in your discoveries. I too am struggling to be profitable and would like to have a mechanical (as opposed to descretionary) trading strategy on a longer period chart.

So I am reading with interest - thanks

Daniel

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts