NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,831 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

A little confused by your numbers. Are you trading the same size on all trades? If you are I am unable to figure out why you were +pips but -dollars. If you are trading a variety of sizes are you taking this into account when you calculate you numbers. Also, I do find your charts slightly easier to read now although I struggle at times to see exactly where your S/D lines and trades are. Sometimes it appears there are more trades than you mention. Have you considered adding the LTF chart to your post when you use it for entry? Keep it up, be patient.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

thewardiknowof View Post
A little confused by your numbers. Are you trading the same size on all trades? If you are I am unable to figure out why you were +pips but -dollars. If you are trading a variety of sizes are you taking this into account when you calculate you numbers.

It's simply pips are gross, dollars are net commission at $2.50 per execution. At $20K position size I'm only making (sim-making ) $2 per pip. It skews the results a little but my edge should develop to the point where my results overcome the proportionally huge commission. $2.50 is the minimum commission at IB. When you get up to $100K positions, it starts increasing beyond that - I forget how much, but obviously proportionally much less.

thewardiknowof View Post
Also, I do find your charts slightly easier to read now although I struggle at times to see exactly where your S/D lines and trades are.

Thanks. The S/D lines are the solid lines - I'll see if I can improve them somehow, a new color maybe. The trades are something I can't change, except by adding more stuff manually to each trade.

thewardiknowof View Post
Sometimes it appears there are more trades than you mention.

I mention 99% of my trades - there's the entry and usually two exits (T1 and T2 limit or stops) or I mention I messed up going the wrong way or hitting enter twice etc so you see a flurry of executions on one bar.

thewardiknowof View Post
Have you considered adding the LTF chart to your post when you use it for entry? Keep it up, be patient.

The LTF chart has 3 times more bars - I guess I can include it, but it would be at least 2 more screenshots

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

I was just going over my notes from Friday to sharpen my edge before trading but I'm really disappointed with myself that they are still so hard to decipher.

I have 2 main problems - I'm trying to cram it all onto one screenshot, and I have a pretty poor idea in my mind when writing the notes about what is obvious and what won't be obvious 24 hours or more later. The result is a bit of a nightmare to come back to.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Only sim-traded 1 hour today after spending ages working out why Friday was such a bad day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-28.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	55890   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (1 Min)  2011-11-28.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	55891  
Thanked by:
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

Looks like a decent day trading for the time you were there. The charts you are posting are much clearer in my opinion. What was your premise or Future Direction Principle (FDP)? Without the Asian high, I would consider it in a downtrend FDP 1 expecting a PB or CPB. With the Asian High I would say it's FDP 6 then waiting further shows part b looking for a BPB. Is this what you were seeing? What exactly did you use for triggers to enter the trades? Keep at it!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Thanks for the encouragement. Great to see someone else using the same jargon - except I have to look it up - I don't remember their numbers. I'll get back to you on it. Have to hit the sack now. Today was too much like having my head in the washing machine.

Adamus 
London, UK

Bad day. Spent the first half of the day being unable to trade, and spent the second half of the day trading too much.

Warning: the bar numbers on the second 1min chart seem to be off by 1 but only sometimes. I think I was really pushing it to get it done last night.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-29a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	55976   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-29b.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	564.2 KB
ID:	55977   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (1 Min)  2011-11-29a.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	55978   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (1 Min)  2011-11-29b.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	55979  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Adamus View Post
Bad day. Spent the first half of the day being unable to trade, and spent the second half of the day trading too much.

Still, good job on the journal.

Can I ask what steps you will be taking to not repeat the above?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Big Mike View Post
Still, good job on the journal.

Can I ask what steps you will be taking to not repeat the above?

Mike

Yes. The plan is to go through the trading day noting the market structure, price action and personal performance as they developed. Then with benefit of hindsight, I go through the daily review - this is my cheat-sheet for it - this is taken out of the YTC Price Action Trader programme and adapted by me to my purposes:

1) Make sure trade log notes make sense
2) Add day type now day is finished to trade log entries
3) Review trades taken and missed
a.Review bias, signals that lead to identification of setups
b.If a setup was missed, why? What signals were overlooked?
c. Were any trades not based on a valid setup? What kind of error was it? Is it logged under Performance?
d. Did each setup lead to an entry? If not, why not? What was the ideal entry point? Was it feasible? What signals should have led to an improved entry?
e.Was the initial stop location good or should it have been somewhere else, and what signals identified that location?
f. What signals did the market provide for moving your stop to break-even or beyond?
g.What was the optimal exit location?Did the market give any signals to identify this?
i. Replay each setup making optimal decisions, observing the signals and biases for those decisions and ignoring the signals and biases that were wrong.
4) Review market environment
a.What signs indicate market type, trend and bias?
b. Step manually through the chart bar by bar or use market replay to observe the market environment and the signals that identified significant trend and bias.
c. Save chart with appropriate mark-up to your Market Structure Journal
5) Physical and Psychological Performance Review – document any observations in the trading log
a. Were your fatigue levels appropriately managed?
b. Were you in optimal physical condition?
c. Was your ability to sustain focus at an acceptable level?
d. Were you accepting of emotion during the session, without letting it unduly affect your decision making?
e. Was your mental state during trade execution one of confidence and self-belief, or fear, greed, or panic? If so, why? What can you do to improve it?
f. Are you satisfied with your performance during this trading session? What could you have done to improve it?
g. Do you feel you have progressed?
h. Completely let go of what happened during the trading session
6) Document the main points arising from today's review as goals for tomorrow.

Point 3i is probably the most important. The theory goes that you do it enough, eventually some of it will stick in your head. It's easy, it's just difficult to find time to do it. I have made the mistake every day so far of trading for far too long and not having enough time left for the review. I should commit far more time to the review.

I then review these notes and go over them before the next session, and at the end of the week, I select the best and keep them for my Lessons Learnt journal which I also review before each session.

PS I notice my notes are still crap with mistakes (e.g. wrote "long" instead of short) because I'm rushing them. I'm going to trade from now (9:30) to 14:30 today and spent 14:30 to 18:00 on the review.

Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

thewardiknowof View Post
Looks like a decent day trading for the time you were there. The charts you are posting are much clearer in my opinion. What was your premise or Future Direction Principle (FDP)? Without the Asian high, I would consider it in a downtrend FDP 1 expecting a PB or CPB. With the Asian High I would say it's FDP 6 then waiting further shows part b looking for a BPB. Is this what you were seeing? What exactly did you use for triggers to enter the trades? Keep at it!

Just thinking about what you asked, trying to read between the lines.

I generally re-evaluate my bias after every setup, so my FDP can change 10 times a day. Are you deciding on one for the whole day from the higher time frame? Or do you just mean one analysis since the sell-off was so well-structured over the period shown by the chart?

I admit I find it slightly confusing settling on a future trend direction when I know it's a range day and we're near the top or bottom.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts