NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,831 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Two mark-ups today since I'm still trying to figure out the best way to save them.

I might have to note down this on paper and re-organise it after the session finishes.

Small range trading day. Not bad, although I still haven't had a positive day. At least I'm recognising the mistakes as I make them and hopefully some of the hindsight criticism sinks in so that I pull it off more often in the heat of the moment.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-22a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	527.0 KB
ID:	55477   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-22b.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	55478  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Finally managed to post a profitable day on my trading record.

60 pips net, thanks mainly to trading to fast trends. All the other trades were unprofitable.

This is 7 trading days and my record so far is pretty crap, with a winning percentage of 40% and a win-loss ratio of 1.31 and a gross loss of $350 so far (position size $40K split in two for 2 targets).

We'll see how bad my results are next time there's no trend to trade.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-23.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	758.2 KB
ID:	55528  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Sergio
Russia\Moskva

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Adamus View Post

60 pips net, thanks mainly to trading to fast trends. All the other trades were unprofitable.

This is 7 trading days and my record so far is pretty crap, with a winning percentage of 40% and a win-loss ratio of 1.31 and a gross loss of $350 so far (position size $40K split in two for 2 targets).

why owned by 3 minute chart using ?

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

Adamus View Post

Congratulations on your first profitable day! Consistency is what I am still struggling with. You do very well with documenting your trading session. Curious, what is your plans for tomorrow, being it is a big US holiday? Does your trading plan allow you to trade?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Sergio View Post
why owned by 3 minute chart using ?

Hi Sergio, please re-phrase that - I'm not sure what you mean.

Adamus 
London, UK

thewardiknowof View Post
Congratulations on your first profitable day! Consistency is what I am still struggling with. You do very well with documenting your trading session. Curious, what is your plans for tomorrow, being it is a big US holiday? Does your trading plan allow you to trade?

Thanks. Still only sim trades though, so not time to crack open the champagne yet.

Doing the documentation is slow and takes time but it guarantees that I learn faster. First of all, making the notes helps clarify the issues, and secondly reviewing them re-inforces any lessons learnt. There's some didactic principle that expounds 4 steps which is outlined by Lance Beggs in his YTC PAT programme:

Quoting 
1. Pick a target.
2. Reach for it.
3. Evaluate the gap between the target and the reach.
4. Return to setup one.

I'm trading today - I have nothing in my plans prohibiting it. Of course it won't be nearly so lively and I doubt there'll be any fast trends. If I consistently have bad days on public holidays, I'll stop doing it, but I figure in time I'll know from looking at the market whether it's worth trading or not. For instance, the Asian session is probably always like the market will be today. Yet sometimes I see tradable sessions and I wish I'd been awake.

By the way, do you find the way I marked up the chart yesterday quite readable? I think it's a massive improvement on the yellow boxes I was using and I can also see more what the market was doing without it being obscured in-between lots of mark-up.

Adamus 
London, UK

Thanksgiving's chart.

5 trades & +33 sim-pips today.

Current account: 61 trades, +70 pips, -$328 net P&L @20K lot size.

Win % 39, pay-off ratio 1.57.

I'm really noticing the hesitation when signals / triggers occur. It doesn't feel like fear, it's more like a rabbit staring into the headlights. I feel fear when I've got a position on with a lot of unrealized profits and the price going against me. I need to work out what to do to take these triggers, without also taking every other possible signal during the day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-24.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	55577  
Sergio
Russia\Moskva

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I wanted to know why you use a chart 3 minute time frame. I wish you always swim with the trend

Adamus 
London, UK

Sergio View Post
I wanted to know why you use a chart 3 minute time frame. I wish you always swim with the trend

To be honest, it's because that's what is recommended in the price action trading programme that I'm following.

I assume that 3 minute bars give the best balance of action during the day (so you don't get bored and lose focus) and ATR (so you make enough pips when you have a profitable trade). I know people who trade the same methods on the daily time frame, and one who uses 10 tick bars. Followers of Al Brooks (and several other people I have communicated with) use 5 min bars exclusively.

As I develop my skills, I'll be able to make my own best judgement but at the moment I am trusting the course I am following.

Adamus 
London, UK

Not a good day. Trying to correct my trading issues succeeded mainly in making things worse, and the market demanded wider stops too so I lost more there too. I guess I would have reduced the position size accordingly but I am at the lowest leverage for IB already. Plus that doesn't help the pip count stats.

Started out bad enough with 4 opportunities missed.

Plus a serious loss of discipline again, jumping in with desperation after another loser. Tsk tsk.

It also seemed as though bigger stops were required, I put it down to lower liquidity because Thanksgiving, but in hindsight this wasn't the case, the timing was just more difficult and anyway my focus was disrupted by trying to improve my own decisiveness.

-53 pips, -$189.50 after commissions.

So this takes me to total -$517 and +17 pips for 8 sessions.

Win ratio slipped to 30% and win-loss ratio went to 1.94

I can't figure out why the win-loss ratio increased - perhaps I really did have so many small losers that the avg loss has declined again, which is not a good thing. According to Mr Beggs whose word is God as far as I am concerned right now, I should be excluding the break-even trades, but that only increases the win-loss ratio even more - maybe P&L of zero is counted as a win. Yes well there's only so much you can do with excel.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$EURUSD (3 Min)  2011-11-25.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	743.3 KB
ID:	55642  

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts