NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,915 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

Hi Adamus,

Given the limited time you have to trade, have you ever thought about trading longer timeframe like daily and weekly? I mean opening a trade until the next day or with predetermined targets/stops or a trade that could last several days.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Setup in progress at 6:00am as I turned on the computer.

A slow break-out / pull-back that started moving up again and triggered my entry. The setup didn't work out and after I'd moved my stop up a couple of times, it got hit.

I could have taken an earlier exit and even got a couple of ticks profit, but the movement on the hour at 07:00 kicked in and completely changed the PA. I should have registered the tails on top of the swing high earlier, but I was kind of busy trying to work out whether the first 7 o'clock candle had any significant bearing on direction. Why I got confused by that I don't know, probably after reading about opening ranges and thinking about it in terms of the Frankfurt market opening up. Stupid considering that the German bankers are all going to sit there with their orders waiting for the clock to strike 7 (or 8 for them obviously).

Really annoying. Worse now I've got all day to mull over it. I'm meant to be learning all the time and so I want to pick up new ideas all the time but it's not meant to affect my trading unless I can define it and incorporate it into my plan.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-31 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	75619   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-31 continued.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	75620  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

trendisyourfriend View Post
Hi Adamus,

Given the limited time you have to trade, have you ever thought about trading longer timeframe like daily and weekly? I mean opening a trade until the next day or with predetermined targets/stops or a trade that could last several days.

Don't think I want to be trying to work at something else with the pressure to check the screen all the time.

It's only meant to last six months. I think it'd be a lot of work to change time frames, not sure it's worth it. Sure I've thought about it, but it's still not convincing.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Wasn't sure of the entry, left it late and only managed a near-BE trade.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-01 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	75676  

Adamus 
London, UK

Left it too late to add comments to yesterday's trade after thinking about it. Too busy yesterday at work - that was the theory - trade, post the chart, then add comments as I think about them during the day. Didn't work but I definitely thought about it.

I was worried I would miss out on a good opportunity for a B/O-P/B setup failure as price reached my original target, but it looks like I made the ideal exit - well within a couple of pips.

Just my entry was crap - I know I was scared to get in and I had to wait for the second chance instead of diving in. Guess I didn't have the guts for it after Tuesday's failure.

So the week was bad - one big mistake and two small mistakes (Thurs & Fri) wipe out the sim profits I made last week.

Still struggling to keep those emotions in check, and still not sticking strictly to the plan. Need to do a big review of May's trading and see what comes out of it.

Meanwhile in other news, here are a few tasty rashers of Bacon for later on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-01 continued.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	75812  

Adamus 
London, UK

Now this is what should happen every morning

Good entry but exit too early.

Thought process leading up to getting out was pretty much along the lines of:
  • Market broke through the S/R line from yesterdays low and started pushing down.
  • The candle down reversed halfway back up.
  • Was already thinking about finishing the session - I realise now afterwards, I'd forgotten my plan for finishing by leaving the market to hit my target or stop. Bit stupid.
  • Had 3 possibilities at hand - market would retrace back to my stop (and it's done that a few times recently) - the market would move down to my target (obviously had no faith in this) - or I'd bail out here and now. Which I did.
  • so I wanted to finish anyway and I was pretty convinced it was only 50/50 that the target would get hit.

So based on my recent experience of 2 trades, max 3, of a retrace after a good push in my direction and getting my stop hit, I bailed on a trade that moved on nicely to hit my target - and the target was a conservative one in the first place, I could easily have put it lower.

I guess I was negative about the target getting hit, and had set a really easy target anyway, because the most recent trades had been either losers or B/E.

Main problem here and a recurring one is not having a definite set of rules. As soon as I have to think, is that a rule or not, it's a problem - i.e. finishing the session, when to change charts from 3min to 1min and back - solution is to write it all down. I have a lot written down, but I don't refer to it enough - I have to be able to refer to it quickly and at any point, like before the session to go over it, and after the session to check or update it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-05 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	76117   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-05 continued.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	76286  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Started late and didn't get a handle on today's start.

Looking at the day's chart now at the end of the day, it looks like I just missed a scalp from 1.2500 down to 1.2480, which in actual fact looking at the PA, would have caught my exit stop (if I'd got in and moved it down) at 4 pips profit.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-06 Market Structure.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	76292   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-06 continued.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	76409  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Initial trading - forgot to add the comments - but that's where I finished. Turned out well as it happens, despite the stupid entry!

My trading reminds me more and more of tightrope walking. One mistake and you lose.

This morning's trade was nice 'n' profitable, but my entry was terrible. I guess I was rusty - I thought I would be earlier. I didn't realise that a good B/O-P/B setup had developed. I sat there watching the market break down below the S/R level and then PB, and then stall. Instead of getting my entry stop right up close to the stall, I moved it the other way. It was 7:00am in London and I figured the Frankfurt open could bring a bit of volatility. Didn't want to get caught.

If I'd entered at the move out of the stall, I reckon that would have been the high probability trade, with minimal risk and 9 or 10 points reward. Instead I messed around worrying about things that I shouldn't worry about and then I let myself get taken into the trade in a second display of indecision over what to do with the entry stop. That left me in what I immediately new was a low probability trade with poor R:R if targeting the closest S/R below. So I compounded my error and targeted the Asian low.

What reasons did I have to justify that? I figured the market hadn't reversed again since the Frankfurt open, and was therefore likely to continue.

I figured since the Asian session was very low volatility, it was more likely that the market would move right across it if moving in that direction.

I have to do some time management. I can't just trade - I need to write down the rules I'm developing. Don't know when I'm going to find time since I really don't want to not trade in the morning, but I hardly have any other free time. Difficult one.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-15 Morning.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	77673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-15 continued.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	77762  

Adamus 
London, UK

Just reviewing the six mornings I just skipped. Looks like it would have been 3 losers and 2 winners and one no-trade.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-07 Morning.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	77832   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-08 Morning.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	77833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-11 Morning.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	77834   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-12 Morning.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	77835   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-13 Morning.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	77836   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-14 Morning.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	77837  

Adamus 
London, UK

Not doing well here at trading 'attendance'. Couldn't get to bed last night, couldn't get out of bed this morning.

Missed an interesting market. A channel break-out - hopefully I would have seen it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-18 Morning.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	78081  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts