NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Adamus with 599 posts (455 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zwaen with 46 posts (38 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SammyD with 30 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 18 posts (17 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Adamus with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Zwaen with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SammyD with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 136,831 views
    2. thumb_up 619 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 844 posts
    2. attach_file 898 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading spot fx euro using price action

Adamus 
London, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, home-grown Java
Broker: IB/IQFeed
Trading: EUR/USD
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 789

Taking a reversal trade, and with bigger risk for a bigger reward.

Now after the fact, I still can't see any reason not to go for the bigger target (the Asian low). If I'd been trading the interaction at the S/R level where it turned, I could have saved some points but I had stopped then. Guess I made the right decisions but was still wrong.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-19 Morning.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	78133   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-19 continued 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	78236   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-19 continued 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	78237  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

Adamus 
London, UK

Relatively quiet this morning. Unremarkable B/E trade.

After the fact, again the market retraced after my entry further than I would have trusted it to, and then carried on to the target. in fact it made a lower low than the low of the PB setup i was trding. not sure there's any sense in trying to take that kind of heat.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-20 Morning.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	78282   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-20 continued.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	78366  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Adamus 
London, UK

Quiet again. No setups apart from a possible bearish pull-back, but that needed a bit too much stretching of imagination.

Another wild day but the early morning really offered nothing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-21 Morning.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	78402   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-21 continued.jpg
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	78535  

Adamus 
London, UK

More bearish action.

Caught the trade, although I thought it wasn't a great bet. In my mind I was playing out a B/O-P/B at an S/R level where the market had actually been hanging around for the best half of the Asian session. So it was hardly a B/O when it was just moving away from the S/R. In fact it was a B/O-P/B failure that convinced me to short, which now seems even more illogical - in other words, it wasn't one of the setups I have in my trading rules, but I'd rationalised it somehow.

I'd decided the market had to go somewhere since it certainly wasn't going to stay still after sitting there for 4 hours. It failed to go up, so it had to go down and not reverse again before my target. Which it did. Not a setup from my trading manual. I got in too early for any kind of decent trade and the retrace that followed my entry was really the setup I should define.

I mean, when the volatility kicked in at 07:00am, there was nothing I can put my finger on to say which direction it was going to go until the move down retraced a little bit. I avoided jumping in earlier on the move upwards just before 7:00, and I should have resisted jumping in on the move down just because the move up had reversed. When the move down retraced a little but couldn't make any ground, the bulls fizzled and it turned into a pull-back. That was my setup. So I was too early.

I remember thinking at the mid-point of the pull-back before it was in, "maybe I should just bail out now since this whole trade is just 50:50 a winner or loser." Yes, mistake - a fortunate mistake.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-22 Morning.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	78587   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-22 continued.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	78669  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Missed Monday, had to get up early and leave for family stuff.

Today went well, a B/O-P/B failure was in the making as I logged on already. Missed doing some of my prep work, not sure that's a good thing but it worked out. Let's see whether I still think I did alright when I review it later.

Later: in fact today was very similar to yesterday - Asian session was quiet, finished at low and then market stayed there making a couple of false moves with complete retraces before moving off - except today it moved up not down.

Just looked at Monday to see what I missed and it was an evil setup. A quiet Asian session is normally more predictable but 2 false moves from the B/O-P/B at the Asian low before it finally shot away down south. That is a prime example in support of not moving your initial stop too early - or perhaps, at all

I think the key to managing both setups today and yesterday was to keep an eye whether the bars are staying above the MA or not.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-26 Morning.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	78959   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-26 continued.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	79078   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-25 Morning.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	79079  

Adamus 
London, UK

Not looking good but have to leave trade to sink or swim

And then I didn't. I missed the price action signal to bail out (see LTF screenshot) where price action again hit the MA and bounced back - instead I let it take out my full stop and reversed. That went really well but I was lucky. In hindsight, I had my stop too close and my thinking was all wrong. Instead of thinking, "am I in a position to carry on trading?" I thought "one more trade and I'll make back this loss". Stupid. I had some kind of assumption that it would be a winner before I made the trade, and then felt really stupid after entering and it went against me.

I had figured that I would bail out from the 2nd trade quickly if it went against me and that was wrong. I have carefully planned methods of bailing out but I just thought I would go for a quick scalp. Luckily I didn't put my stop only a couple of points away - I put it somewhere more sensible, but then again another mistake: the actual place to put the stop was further up, but it didn't fit the 1:1 minimum R:R I wanted, so I didn't put it quite as far away. Bad trading. Didn't get hit, but it almost did.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-27 Morning.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	79143   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-27 continued.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	79319   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-27 LTF.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	79320  
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

Waiting for a bit more good luck.

Obviously with the huge drop after my trade, I would have done well to take the reversal today as well, but I was gone by then. My bad trading from the start though. Started late and was distracted trying to the analysis that I didn't get done last night. Then my daughter got up early and wanted to sit on my lap for a cuddle - how could I say no. So I wasn't 100% focused and paid too much attention to the bullish Asian session instead of remembering the Asian session trend counts for nothing. Enough of that. More focus tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-28 Morning.jpg
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	79324   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-28 continued.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	79444  
Thanked by:

fibfisherman 
Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Investor RT, Multicharts
Broker: LMAX, Infinity Futures
Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 87

Hi Adamus,

2nd day in I row I've checked your thread and found that I'm in a similar trade to you however I entered earlier and the last pull back just missed my stop. You entry was much better. Current weakness not looking good for this trade though.

You're trading Lance Begg's system right?

Cheers,

FF

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Adamus 
London, UK

That's right - Lance Beggs. B/Os at S/R or P/Bs. Where are you based?

Whoops, dumb question. An Aussie I see. So you're trading after work? Or full time?

Adamus 
London, UK

This one was difficult! That was the biggest bar I've ever seen on the 3-min. I think the previous record was 80 points. 112!

Couldn't hold my trade - don't know if it will turn out to be good to scratch it.

After the fact: noticed I was very bearish after the big push up, but should have been bullish. However there were no real opportunities for B/Os or P/Bs that I could see. The trade I put on was the failure of the B/O continuation at 1.2600 although I was pretty worried about the volatility and incorporated the 1.2593 S/R line into it, so I was looking for it to break below that too, which it did. It also broke a swing low and a line up from the big swing low and it broke the MA, but still it wasn't going to go down. Guess I was lucky not to lose anything.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-29 Morning.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	79500   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-29 continuation.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	79627  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 1, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts