NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading mini euro ( E7) or micro euro (M6E) currency futures ???

Discussion in Currencies

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 17 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two Linds with 6 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 petrmac with 6 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 paulg with 5 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one meyer99 with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ddouglas with 4.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jura with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 2.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 93,273 views
    2. thumb_up 206 thanks given
    3. group 51 followers
    1. forum 120 posts
    2. attach_file 13 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading mini euro ( E7) or micro euro (M6E) currency futures ???

sakisf 
Athens, Greece

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TTWeb
Broker: Amp/TT
Trading: E-mini ES, NQ, RTY, Currencies
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 23

AshleyQueenTrader View Post
Really? and what is the minimum account size at IB?

do they have free trading platforms?

10k if you go to them directly, 4k & 5k if you go through other introducing brokerages (captrader or prorealtime respectively). There are other brokerages out there for sure with might have an even lower limit.

I pay 2.34 r/t for M6E with amp/rithmic combination. Need 3 ticks for break even - spread+2 ticks for comms.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 Teycir 
Tunisie

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: spy
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 1

I trade M6E using IB, cost of a RT is 0,64$ and I never had more than 3 tick slippage (happens during very low volume hours). Most of the time there is 0 tick slippage, some times 1 tick. I use M6E because I can scale in and out. Can't do that with EUR or even E7.

Thanked by:
 kaotic 
Las Vegas, NV/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradingView
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 36

Seems like with the demise of IB's retail forex and FXCM, more retail traders are making their way into the M6E now. Daily volumes now average 10k/day and sometimes getting up to 15k/day. E7 still not getting much attention though. The one think I like about the M6E is that you can easily scale in/out of multiple positions and if one's uses IB, each M6E contract is only $0.64 RT.

Thanked by:
thetamax8
Vancouver, BC

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 17

kaotic View Post
Seems like with the demise of IB's retail forex and FXCM, more retail traders are making their way into the M6E now. Daily volumes now average 10k/day and sometimes getting up to 15k/day. E7 still not getting much attention though. The one think I like about the M6E is that you can easily scale in/out of multiple positions and if one's uses IB, each M6E contract is only $0.64 RT.

I also like the M6E with IB since, as you pointed out, the 64 cent commission makes it feasible to scale in/out.

The M6A and M6B are also decent.

Unfortunately, I find the MCD and the MJY a bit thinner. Especially if you have stops in the market and don't watch closely. Those can move past your stop point relatively easily

mcpandre
Milan, Italy

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 8

I prefer the E7 since it has also options I can use to change/defend my position, actually never used the micro.

bomberone1 
London

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MultiCharts
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 29

i TRADE THESE MICRO FUTURES FX from years,
all the other micro fx are not tradable because they have low volume.

E-micro AUD/USD M6A 0.0001 / $1.00
E-micro GBP/USD M6B 0.0001 / $0.625
E-micro EUR/USD M6E 0.0001 / $1.25
E-micro JPY/USD MJY 0.000001 / $1.25

My 2 cents.

Thanked by:
kazz
London

Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 78

bomberone1 View Post
i TRADE THESE MICRO FUTURES FX from years,
all the other micro fx are not tradable because they have low volume.

E-micro AUD/USDM6A0.0001 / $1.00
E-micro GBP/USD M6B0.0001 / $0.625
E-micro EUR/USD M6E0.0001 / $1.25
E-micro JPY/USD MJY0.000001 / $1.25

My 2 cents.

Thanks, l am learning to trade futures and want to start with the mini currency futures due to the low margin requirements so your post is timely.

Do you day trade or swing trade? The reason I ask is because l work 9-5 so cannot day trade.

Also, for the mini futures you've listed above, do you see enough volume to make trading them worthwhile?

Thanks!

kazz
London

Surly View Post
I wanted to reinforce that this contract is totally fine to trade if you're trading during the Euro's busy times at the CME. The 6E contract itself always runs about 3 or 4 ticks of spread between the real liquidity during busy times - the DOM always has double digit bid/offer inside this range and triple digit bid/offer outside it. The M6E behaves the same with single digit and double digit bid/offer respectively.

If you TRY to get a poor fill (i.e., you use market orders), you can make your fill worse with the M6E than you can with the 6E but if you're using limit orders and are just slightly disciplined and patient, you can get essentially the same fills as you would in the 6E most of the time. You may pay 3 or 4 ticks ($3-4) over the course of 6 trades using the M6E as opposed to the 6E - small price to pay if you want to daytrade with reasonable leverage and your account size is less than $25k.

Just wanted to encourage beginners to use this contract if you have less than $25k - you absolutely do not need to have 20+ tick targets or anything like that to be profitable. Any strategy a retail trader would be using on the 6E can be traded profitably on the M6E and you will save yourself a lot of pain during the learning curve.

Thanks, this is a very encouraging post for us newbies! I think the key thing is what you highlight - to use limit orders rather than market orders.

I think that the trick for us newbies is developing the patience to do this. The temptation is to jump right into the action using market orders but this is probably not a good strategy.
@Surly would you recommend using limit orders in a very liquid market like spot forex or is there not much point? Thanks.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

kazz
London

Thanks this is a really insightful post. When you say

"If you must trade on stops, then just set your platform to execute your order when the bid/ask price reaches your level - versus the last price."

Are you referring to stop loss orders here (ie to get you out of the trade)?
ddouglas View Post
I wish it would lag - that would be easy money - as it always catches up. All you would have to do is get in on the lag, & out when it's caught up. Talk about an edge . . !

In reality, I've never seen a lag at all. Ever. The last price lags, just because there are fewer transactions than in the 6E. All secondary contracts behave this way. That doesn't mean that you can get in at the last price & make your easy-lag-money. Nope, sorry, you will find that the actual price at which you can get in/out of the market (the Bid/Ask) will be where the 6E is. At all times.

Why does any other price matter? I only want to know what I can get in or out at.

If you must trade on stops, then just set your platform to execute your order when the bid/ask price reaches your level - versus the last price.

This is very easy to do, and does not require code on most platforms.

Once that issue is out of the way, M6E trading is identical to that of the 6E, except that you only have 1/10th of the risk and 1 or 2 ticks more spread.

I personally use 6E, E7, and M6E interchangeably - with no concerns other than how large of a bet-size I am going to need in order to execute the idea I'm looking at.

Sometimes you need more room, and having different contract sizes allows you to have it.

I wish all contracts had these sizes - it's kind of a luxury, really.

P.S.: Regarding spread, remember that you're dropping $12.50 in spread (minimum) per 6E contract - even though it is "tighter." Yet your total gross dollar spread in M6E will probably be $2.50-$3.75 per each - even though it is "wider." Does that make the M6E spread "untradeable?"

kazz
London

JohnS View Post
second that! I traded the E7 for a while and finally moved over to the M6e simply because I wanted smaller size...the E7 takes a while to fill. The m6e is not too bad. But in general when your targets require a few hours or days to hit then the slippage & fills don't really matter.

Are you swing trading M6E? If so what are your pip targets? Thanks.

Last Updated on February 22, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts