NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Definition of a trading range

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one trendisyourfriend with 9 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two arnie with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Private Banker with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 arnie with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,682 views
    2. thumb_up 23 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 18 posts
    2. attach_file 21 attachments

Search this Thread

Definition of a trading range

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

I am trying to come up with a high level definition of what a trading range is and oddly enough i find it hard to form an accurate definition of what it is. I thought some of you might help me solve this little problem. Basically i see a trading range as a box that contains price on a specific timeframe. There may be price probes outside the box but in these cases price must return within the box to keep the range intact or still active. However, the problem occurs when i try to define the start of a new range or when successive ranges overlap. Think about it as if you had to follow an algorithm or a step-by-step procedure. What steps would you follow to identify a trading range? When does a range start and end ? Try to be as precise as possible in your definition. Let's see if the collective intelligence of futures.io (formerly BMT) could come up with a good definition.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

arnie 
Europe

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 763
Thanks Received: 1,048

Many years ago I established my rules for trading ranges.
After establishing the high and the low for the trading range, I'll create its extension which have 3 areas, 25, 33.3 and 37.5% of the range. While prices won't close above or below the 37.5% extension I consider the range still intact.

For example, look at the simplest of the ranges, a 1 bar range.
After you have the confirmation of an inside bar, you have the confirmation of a 1 bar range and from there you just do the math.
You'll have your range high, your range low and after you calculate its range you just take the 25, 33.3 and 37.5% of it and add to the high and subtract from the low.
Only a close outside the 37.5% confirms that the range was broken and prices are now free to initiate a new movement.

You just need to establish your trading range and do the math.

I use the 25, 33.3 and 37.5% but you can use whatever percentages you want. Use what you feel more comfortable with.
I have no idea why but prices love the 25% extension.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Thanks Arnie, your definition is very similar to what Fat Tails does with his auction bars. But what about if you'd use a range or renko chart, how would you proceed to identify a trading range?

vegasfoster 
las vegas

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Velocity/IB
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 304
Thanks Received: 844

Following Arnie's train of thought, maybe define the start of the range by a retracement % or amount. Or maybe short term moving averages, e.g. 10 Hull/T3/LLMA crosses high/low then breakout, reset when ma turns back again and assume in range until broken again or something. Or an oscillator, e.g. in range until TSI crosses +/- 60, then trending one direction until crosses back over the opposite 40 line or something. Or use the swing indicator of a certain strength, possibly with buffer or short-term moving average cross.

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Ideally, i'd like to get close to the definition PrivateBanker has presented in the ES thread. However, he seems to use a loosely defined definition. What i'd like to do is getting a more rigid definition that could be automated.

arnie 
Europe

Platform: Jigsaw
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 763
Thanks Received: 1,048

trendisyourfriend View Post
Thanks Arnie, your definition is very similar to what Fat Tails does with his auction bars. But what about if you'd use a range or renko chart, how would you proceed to identify a trading range?

Getting 1 bar ranges from Renko or Range bars is really not an option here but you can go higher on the swing to get your range.

See how ES spent all day trading inside the first up swing of the day.
After 2pm the range was broken but prices did come back right in again.

In hindsight this is pretty easy to draw but let me say that after a while it becomes pretty easy in real time because when you see a rotation higher in size than the previous one you know that something have just changed and as soon you see another rotation now in favor of the previous move you set the previous high as the range high and the previous low as the range low and from there calculate the extensions and see what happen.

Of course if you're targeting ranges of 8 ticks or so you'll probably lose yourself on the calculations and when you look prices are long gone.
The rule of thumb here is the more time prices spend inside the range the more valid it is, hence, the probability of some kind of reaction over the extension area.

If I become half a percent smarter each year, I'll be a genius by the time I die
Thanked by:

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

I look at trading ranges in a variety of ways with all being fairly discretionary in the sense that there are no laid down mechanical rules. I build the picture from a large time frame and work it down into a micro level which will define trade locations. The macro being the high time frames with the micro being intra-day price levels that are relatively confluent with the bigger picture.

The first way I look for or at a trading range would be by simply creating brackets on the daily, weekly and monthly charts. These brackets are typically anchored at the base of the balancing bars while leaving the excess/tails out of balance which signal rejection areas vs. areas of acceptance. These are more of a visual confirmation vs. a trade location of course.

The second way of observing or creating a trading range is through a similar process of looking at the daily and weekly TPOs. Again looking for areas of acceptance and rejection.

The third way I look at trading ranges is through a simple observation of the current price channels in which we're trading in.

And lastly, a fourth way I look at a trading range is through various time frames' volatility observable through VWAP and its outer standard deviation levels.

Example of the monthly VWAP. You can see that we've been trading withing last month's VWAP area/value and are now breaking out higher to test the upper standard deviation levels. This move is coming from price finding support at the previous month's lower 1st SD close level and then being supported at the developing month's lower 1st SD level.

And here's the intra-day ETH VWAP establishing micro levels of support and resistance.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

Al Brooks did a nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) webinar on Trading Ranges:

Webinar: [AUTOLINK]Al Brooks[/AUTOLINK] on Trends, Ranges and Reversals

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

Private Banker View Post
I look at trading ranges in a variety of ways with all being fairly discretionary in the sense that there are no laid down mechanical rules. I build the picture from a large time frame and work it down into a micro level which will define trade locations. The macro being the high time frames with the micro being intra-day price levels that are relatively confluent with the bigger picture.

The first way I look for or at a trading range would be by simply creating brackets on the daily, weekly and monthly charts. These brackets are typically anchored at the base of the balancing bars while leaving the excess/tails out of balance which signal rejection areas vs. areas of acceptance. These are more of a visual confirmation vs. a trade location of course.

The second way of observing or creating a trading range is through a similar process of looking at the daily and weekly TPOs. Again looking for areas of acceptance and rejection.

The third way I look at trading ranges is through a simple observation of the current price channels in which we're trading in.

And lastly, a fourth way I look at a trading range is through various time frames' volatility observable through VWAP and its outer standard deviation levels.

Example of the monthly VWAP. You can see that we've been trading withing last month's VWAP area/value and are now breaking out higher to test the upper standard deviation levels. This move is coming from price finding support at the previous month's lower 1st SD close level and then being supported at the developing month's lower 1st SD level.

And here's the intra-day ETH VWAP establishing micro levels of support and resistance.

I can see ninja trader again.

btw nice looking mp's

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 5, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts