NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

best platforms

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Soopy with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MiniP with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 3 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tulanch with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mattz with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 rocksolid68 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,995 views
    2. thumb_up 56 thanks given
    3. group 19 followers
    1. forum 38 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

best platforms

Lawrencejude 
Melbourne/Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MT4, Jigsaw
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, FPMarkets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 22

I trade forex and futures.

Forex MT4, Positional trades,

futures = Ninjatrader / jigsaw = It has everything i need for my trading style.

Pick a platform that suites your trading style, If you don't have a set trading style, first concentrate in that, Platform will fall in place.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

ninjus 
Chiang Mai Thailand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Seirra Chart
Broker: Stage5 + Denali
Trading: MNQ
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,223
Thanks Received: 2,336

No... Go with Sierra Chart. My 2c.

Soopy View Post
Is NinjaTrader really better? Worth the $1000+ it costs for the platform?

Marcus Aurelius
"Not to assume it's impossible because you find it hard. But to recognize that if it's humanly possible, you can do it too"

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

NinjaTrader  NinjaTrader is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NinjaTrader
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NinjaTrader Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 2,686

Soopy View Post
It's not truly free. You pay on the other end. So is it much better than the other platforms?

There are free versions of NinjaTrader, as someone else posted, you can use it with your various brokers such as Interactive Brokers for your analysis, for as long as you want.

Here is a comparison table of the various versions of NinjaTrader, along with their price (free and paid) and associated features.

https://ninjatrader.com/LicenseComparison

Disclosure: This communication is sent to you by NinjaTrader, LLC, a software development company which owns and supports all proprietary technology relating to and including the NinjaTrader trading platform.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 SimonC 
Philadelphia PA/USA

Platform: SierraChart
Broker: Optimus Futures
Trading: NQ YM ES FDAX CL
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 28

Soopy View Post
Is NinjaTrader really better? Worth the $1000+ it costs for the platform?

No. My $0.02. NinjaTrader is a competitive broker. But Sierra Chart is a better platform.

Thanked by:
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

Maybe NinjaTrader is the best but the List of available Brokers is the Problem .(FXCM!...IB!...)

However NinjaTrader is talking FIX API and I saw posts mentioning that they found out how to connect NinjaTrader over FIX API with a Broker not on the List . If they could make this public and implement this into the NinjaTrader that would be great. Because I like to get paid for my trades with the help of https://www.paybackfx.com/ and someone else.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Brandenton 
Virginia Beach, VA
Legendary Lost At Sea!!

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TopStep
Trading: YM, MYM
Thanks Given: 754
Thanks Received: 1,556

Looks like it comes down to either Sierra or NinjaTrader. My recommendation is for NInja. Simple and reliable. Sierra is good but complicated to use in comparison to Ninja.

Now the good news is you can test them both on a demo account. Your best bet would be to try them both and see which one suits you best.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Brandenton View Post
Looks like it comes down to either Sierra or NinjaTrader. My recommendation is for NInja. Simple and reliable. Sierra is good but complicated to use in comparison to Ninja.

Now the good news is you can test them both on a demo account. Your best bet would be to try them both and see which one suits you best.

I think this is the best advice: use something before you decide -- there will always be a free demo available, complete with data.

The fact is that most platforms are "good enough," and it probably will come down to your personal preference after using them.

I have used NinjaTrader extensively, and moved to Sierra Chart and like it much, much better. It basically runs rings around NT, especially NT8 (I think so, anyway), and is cheap to free (depending on the deals your broker may or may not offer.) However, it is damned hard to figure out how to use -- the interface and the web-based "help" both have a pretty steep learning curve. Once you get used to it, as with most things, it's fine. Just be aware that you may have to work at it, at first.

With that said, a lot of people like Ninja, and it is a perfectly good platform.

The best bet is to try any platforms that appeal to you, give them time enough for you to get familiar with them, and go from there.

(From reading comments on this forum over time, it is fairly common to find someone going from NT to SC, fairly uncommon for someone who knows both to go from SC to NT. But I'm showing my own preference here. You should try several, if you can.)

Bob.

Thanked by:

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

"best" is a term many beginners use because they do think that "best" exists. It does not.
Often they want to narrow their choices to what others do, when in fact they have a lot more choices and selections.
You have Gain Trader which is free and has charts, quotes, and an API that connects to multiple platforms with the same credentials. There is Multicharts which has amazing charts and suitable for larger screens, and it has great backtesting
capabilities for programmers. If you like Web-based, you will like TT and it comes with iPhone and Android Apps. If you like order flow, you also have Bookmap.

There is a plethora of choices.

In reality, long term traders use (being generous) maybe 10% of any given functionalities that a platform may provide. So the key is to dig to what is most important to you. Many of the new traders I talk to, do not know what is important to them. However, we always have questions ready to ask to narrow to what is "best" for them.

Thank you,
Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:

dbarno 
Madison, Wi

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader, Trade Navigator
Trading: CL,GC, HG
Thanks Given: 155
Thanks Received: 82

Don't forget to factor in the brokerage that goes with the platform.

Some platforms require a serious computer to run them correctly.

Not all platforms will have what you consider to be necessary. Example: I use unirenkos, many platforms don't support them.

I run Ninja 7. No issues in big picture.

Thanked by:
 Epistemophilic 
Los Angeles

Platform: NT8, Python, and TOS
Trading: NQ, ES & CL
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 37

This is my 2c.

Sierra Chart is a great platform. Part of the learning curve is that SC has built-in a ton of options. They have options for just about everything imaginable. The platform comes with a ton of studies and there are easy ways to create/combine your own studies/alerts/auto strategies with the various spreadsheet studies. It is super fast and takes very little memory to run.

There are two ways to program in it:

1. Use the various spreadsheets studies. If you are decent to good wrt to excel, the spreadsheet studies are somewhat easy and they are capable of surprising a lot. I have coded an auto strategy in the Spreadsheet Strategy for Trading. They obviously have limitations.
2. The other way to code is with its ACSIL language/library which is based on C++. I haven't tried this. Not ready to learn yet again another language.

NinjaTrader is a good platform as well. It has a ton of studies and the new NT8 is pretty easy to use. NT8 is pretty resource heavy vs SC and NT8 is more limited with respect to brokers. IMHO, to really take advantage of NT8, you have to learn C#/Ninjascript and the library.

So, if you are an intermediate to advanced Excel user, I would go with SC at least in the short term. If you are ready to tackle C#/Ninjascript, I would go with NT8. Without knowing C#, you really don't know what the wizard is cooking up behind the curtain.

If you demo SC and you are finding a steep learning curve, just remember, there is probably an option for however you are wanting the platform to perform/look and feel. There are Global Settings that apply to most options including chart colors and styles. There are several places to uncheck the Global Settings on a specific window so that you can customize a specific chart/window.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 10, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts