NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

NT8 Order Flow+ Suite - Timing is Everything

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AuthenticTrader with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Howard Roark with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 n3xtl3v3l with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderTS with 2 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TraderTS with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two NinjaTrader with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 AuthenticTrader with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Howard Roark with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 8,753 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

NT8 Order Flow+ Suite - Timing is Everything

AuthenticTrader
Avon, Ohio

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 30

Howard Roark View Post
Hi,

Looks interesting. Thank you for sharing that picture. If they could only improve their DOM, finally, I think NT8 is starting to become a really complete charting package.

Are you finding these volume/order flow studies helpful in your trading? That's another subject with quite differing views. I'm not quite sold on it myself yet...

Howard

I am finding it helpful, though I am still learning, I said in my OP. It just makes sense. I was a profitable Forex trader before FXCM left the US market, but traded only price patterns, fibs and horizontal support and resistance, no volume consideration at all. I got fed up with all the regulatory crap happening with Forex and switched to futures, and it has been a roller coaster for sure ( barely profitable)

Since adding volume into the equation, I am a lot more consistent, but still have lots to learn. It just makes sense to me the more I think about it. The big money/smart money only gets in when they feel they can make money right? When do we know they are getting in? When we see and increase in volume. If price is making a move, but the volume is low, that is you and me trading our little 1-10 contracts. But if "something big" is about to happen, watch the volume. Here's a trade I made yesterday on CL. I don't usually like to jump in right away but everything lined up so I did:

So you can see I get a nice Bullish Engulfing, and volume is above average, and stochastic has tested O/s twice and is moving up so I enter. I am excited as price is going up and volume is staying above normal!. But then Price stalls, and closes two narrow candles and then a wider bearish candle. Is the move over already? What does volume say? The volume is very low, so if there were any "real selling" going on, and the move was over, that would be accompanied by an increase in volume, so I stay in.

The next candle is bullish on increasing volume and then a narrow bearish candle completes on low volume, and stochastic has entered over bought and has rolled over. I decide to exit and two candles later we get a bearish engulfing supported by higher than normal volume, but I was away from PC so I missed it - it was the better trade. ButI think you get my idea. Price action - actually any signals - should be confirmed by volume.

Then after that down move was over, you can see another trade I took long, using volume to confirm both the Engulfing signal and the VS (volume spike). Once again, volume didn't continue to support the rise in prices so I exited.

So that's my take, I am probably not entirely right and off a bit, but as I said I am much more consistent.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

AuthenticTrader View Post
The big money/smart money only gets in when they feel they can make money right? When do we know they are getting in? When we see and increase in volume.

You're assuming that:

1. 'Big money' is always or most often right. I'm not so sure if that's true.

2. 'Big money' or volume always enter for a directional play. Big volume can just as well be a hedge (the primary function of futures markets).

I'm not so sure if it's correct. At least not often enough. Also, can't big volume be aggregate of small volume...? I've heard that 'big money' have smart algorithms or plays to conceal their hand or true intentions.

Nice chart though. And good to hear you're making progress.

Are those color coded bars part of the order flow suite or something else?

AuthenticTrader
Avon, Ohio

Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 30

Howard Roark View Post
You're assuming that:

1. 'Big money' is always or most often right. I'm not so sure if that's true.

2. 'Big money' or volume always enter for a directional play. Big volume can just as well be a hedge (the primary function of futures markets).

I'm not so sure if it's correct. At least not often enough. Also, can't big volume be aggregate of small volume...? I've heard that 'big money' have smart algorithms or plays to conceal their hand or true intentions.

Nice chart though. And good to hear you're making progress.

Are those color coded bars part of the order flow suite or something else?

Hey, good points, and if I ( you? ) was great at this, I'd be working for or with the smart money and not here! We don't know why or who, is entering. And we do know that the smart money does place incremental batches of smaller orders to conceal their intentions.

But what we do know is that a REAL move in price is accompanied by HIGHER than normal volume. Check out this chart of CL today using 8Range bars instead of traditional time price candlesticks:

The colored bars are part of the free Volume Above / Below Indicator form NeoHarmonics, and MTPredictor.

Thanked by:
Howard Roark
Oslo Norway

Thanks Given: 389
Thanks Received: 529

Thanks, AuthenticTrader.

Nice charts and nice heads up on those indicators. Seems like they have a few free ones I'd be interested in checking out.

Best regards.

Howard

Thanked by:
bebbus
bari/italy

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 5

very good

Thanked by:
kurau57
atlanta Georgia

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Looks interesting. Thank you. still new to ninja trader

Last Updated on March 20, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts