NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Spot FX better than Futures?

Discussion in Currencies

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one some1one1 with 7 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two kazz with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobarian with 6 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 carofa with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one hoppy123 with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobarian with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kazz with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,607 views
    2. thumb_up 35 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 45 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Spot FX better than Futures?

kazz
London

Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 78

Grantx View Post
I agree with you on the swaps. Even though they might not look like much but lets consider an example. You hold an EU short for 7 days using a standard lot size. For whatever reason you decide to exit for 50 pips. You net $500, and according to the dukascopy rates your rollover will be approx $50.
Not significant but still represents 10% of your total gain on that trade. If you were holding a long you would be paying approx $60 and thats all before the cost of spread or commission is factored in.

Spread for a scalper is an issue no matter what market you trade. FX or futures. On EU I only need to overcome 0.75 of a pip before Im in profit... all in. Liquidity has never been a problem for me. I stand by what I say, if a trader cant handle a 1 or 2 pip spread then they need to reconsider what they are doing.
On futures I need to pay the commission but also need price to advance and clear the next price level before I could close for profit using a market order. And depending on the instrument, you could still be underwater because of the commission so yeah, people need to learn to hold trades and let them run for a bit.

Thanks, interesting reply and good points. What you say ast the end is right, people need to be able to let trades run. This can be hard when you see that green and grab it.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
 hoppy123 
orlando

Experience: Beginner
Platform: esignal
Trading: forex emini oil gas
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 64

i left forex cash after fxcm close . loved them fxcm . Moved to futures because of lower taxes . Just forex cash moves are bigger when you hit a good trend . Futures dont have the crosses but you can trade oil/gold .futures Day trading margins low . IG forex just opened in usa . Might open an account with them when they get settled .

Thanked by:
kazz
London

hoppy123 View Post
i left forex cash after fxcm close . loved them fxcm . Moved to futures because of lower taxes . Just forex cash moves are bigger when you hit a good trend . Futures dont have the crosses but you can trade oil/gold .futures Day trading margins low . IG forex just opened in usa . Might open an account with them when they get settled .

Thanks good info. Sorry, what do you mean when you say "Futures dont have the crosses"?

hoppy123 
orlando

Platform: esignal
Trading: forex emini oil gas
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 64

like eur/jpy aud/cad etc . they only have usd pairs .

Thanked by:
kazz
London

hoppy123 View Post
like eur/jpy aud/cad etc . they only have usd pairs .

Ah, OK thanks.

jeffalan 
Raleigh, NC

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 22

Actually the CME does have cross rate futures but there is no volume. I suspect it's the old chicken or the egg syndrome.
Is no one trading them because there is no volume or is there no volume because no one is trading them. I would suspect that the issue is with the CME itstelf. It does a horrible job of promoting pretty much any instruments they offer. Weather and Real Estate. Why are those instruments even on there website at all? CME is truly a strange bird. You know the old saying..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Perhaps prodding them into actually getting the word out on these crosses would gain some traction regarding volume and liquidity. There is some volume so there are market makers in place. Now the bid/ ask is another story I'm sure. Just my 2 cents.

Thanked by:
 artemiso 
New York, NY

Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

jeffalan View Post
Actually the CME does have cross rate futures but there is no volume. I suspect it's the old chicken or the egg syndrome.
Is no one trading them because there is no volume or is there no volume because no one is trading them. I would suspect that the issue is with the CME itstelf. It does a horrible job of promoting pretty much any instruments they offer. Weather and Real Estate. Why are those instruments even on there website at all? CME is truly a strange bird. You know the old saying..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease"? Perhaps prodding them into actually getting the word out on these crosses would gain some traction regarding volume and liquidity. There is some volume so there are market makers in place. Now the bid/ ask is another story I'm sure. Just my 2 cents.

You know you'd be surprised, the CME sends their sales guys to my office every few months to promote these things that no one trades. Once I thought there was actually an interesting opportunity, finally took the bait and asked 1 researcher to spend a month developing a strategy to trade one of these weird things with <100 contracts per day. Then we realized from the analysis that whoever's the other person doing 40%+ of that volume is already using dedicated microwave (about $30k per month) to price it. I'm sure they use the same microwave line for other things, but it's still a lot more hardcore than I was willing to go for 100 contracts per day.

Thanked by:
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

if you are not in the US look for volume for example at
https://www.myfxbook.com/forex-broker-volume
volume in Europe/Japan is dropping due to Leverage cut .
The highest Volume you will find in Australia . Don't worry about the distance (down under) when you are in Europe
because the Server are usually in New York (for example of FP Markets or IC Markets)

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

carofa View Post
if you are not in the US look for volume for example at
https://www.myfxbook.com/forex-broker-volume
volume in Europe/Japan is dropping due to Leverage cut .
The highest Volume you will find in Australia . Don't worry about the distance (down under) when you are in Europe
because the Server are usually in New York (for example of FP Markets or IC Markets)

The ESMA rules have changed the game for many brokers, but the volume is not decreasing in FX. It is actually growing, but it will be concentrated in the hands of bigger brokers.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

mattz View Post
..., but the volume is not decreasing in FX. It is actually growing, but it will be concentrated in the hands of bigger brokers.

The Land Down Under? Australian FX Volumes Are Skyrocketing :
https://www.financemagnates.com/forex/brokers/the-land-down-under-australian-fx-volumes-are-skyrocketing/

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 25, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts