NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Renko Bars Worth Using?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TravelingSalesmen with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fugitive69 with 6 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ellinas with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cory with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one iantg with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lemons with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ellinas with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cory with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,147 views
    2. thumb_up 27 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 49 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Renko Bars Worth Using?

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

TravelingSalesmen View Post
lollolololol "it get filled"

trying to sell us some software or something mate?

I am not renko software developer and I have been on this since the beginning. I was the very first member uploaded my indicator VolStop for general use. What are you trying to imply?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
TravelingSalesmen
Tucson arizona

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 4

cory View Post
I am not renko software developer and I have been on this since the beginning. I was the very first member uploaded my indicator VolStop for general use. What are you trying to imply?

it was a joke... but i see you took it litterally. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Fugitive69 
Austin, TX

Platform: NT8
Trading: EU, SP, Crude CL
Thanks Given: 33
Thanks Received: 105

cory View Post
try renkospectrum, it get filled
innovative-trading-solutions-online.com/new/renkospectrum-charts/

Thanks @cory, I'll give it a shot.

Fugitive69 
Austin, TX

Follow up on Renko Spectrum bars:

[1] Yes, these bars do get filled.

[2] With the purchase you actually get a package that includes both Version 1 and 2 of the Spectrum bars.

With the Version 2 bars, you have several options that allows you to change the appearance of the bars.

**The purchase was not cheap by any means, but I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Thanked by:
TravelingSalesmen
Tucson arizona

Fugitive69 View Post
Follow up on Renko Spectrum bars:

[1] Yes, these bars do get filled.

[2] With the purchase you actually get a package that includes both Version 1 and 2 of the Spectrum bars.

With the Version 2 bars, you have several options that allows you to change the appearance of the bars.

**The purchase was not cheap by any means, but I'm quite happy with my purchase.

so what would be the difference between this chart and any of the other charts?

Fugitive69 
Austin, TX

so what would be the difference between this chart and any of the other charts?

I would say the differences are subtle but enough to impact trading results day to day. Some Renko bar types do a pretty good job at the entry but not the exit. With others it's vice versa. These bars allow a decent fill in both directions.

Another note - it might depend upon what version of NT8 you are using. The last time I updated NT8 one of my Renko bar types behaved differently than before the update. It's pretty tricky stuff.

I spend a lot of time looking at the individual bar data. What was the close of the previous bar, what was the open the current bar, etc. When back testing a strategy the fill normally takes place on bar open. But when live testing it doesn't always work out that way as we all know.

So for my purposes I hone in on the individual bar data as closely as possible. It can make or break a strategy.

TravelingSalesmen
Tucson arizona

Fugitive69 View Post
I would say the differences are subtle but enough to impact trading results day to day. Some Renko bar types do a pretty good job at the entry but not the exit. With others it's vice versa. These bars allow a decent fill in both directions.

Another note - it might depend upon what version of NT8 you are using. The last time I updated NT8 one of my Renko bar types behaved differently than before the update. It's pretty tricky stuff.

I spend a lot of time looking at the individual bar data. What was the close of the previous bar, what was the open the current bar, etc. When back testing a strategy the fill normally takes place on bar open. But when live testing it doesn't always work out that way as we all know.

So for my purposes I hone in on the individual bar data as closely as possible. It can make or break a strategy.

Ya ya i agree.. i also tried to figure out a way to get the backtest engine to fill on the close of the bar rather than the open of the next but i couldn't make any progress on any bar type. so i just accept it as a limitation of NT... which is stupid. i mean how hard is it to add a tick box that says fill on bar close or next bar open...

Fugitive69 
Austin, TX

Ya ya i agree.. i also tried to figure out a way to get the backtest engine to fill on the close of the bar rather than the open of the next but i couldn't make any progress on any bar type. so i just accept it as a limitation of NT... which is stupid. i mean how hard is it to add a tick box that says fill on bar close or next bar open...

When building strategies I know it is possible to use the condition: IsFirstTickOfBar.

Sometimes it comes in handy, but in essence it is equivalent to using CalculateOnBarClose. As far as strategies go I've never been able to create anything that does something else besides CalculateOnBarClose.

Now it is possible to setup a multi-time frame strategy. All trades are executed on the primary data series, say a 3 minute chart. The secondary data series might be something like a 15 second chart. In a case such as this you can execute a trade intra-bar. The 15 second chart would trigger a trade on the 3 minute chart.

However, I've not been able to set up Renko bars for use as a secondary data series for some reason. The strategy builder does not allow this. I suppose an experienced coder could accomplish that task but I am unable to do so.

TravelingSalesmen
Tucson arizona

Fugitive69 View Post
When building strategies I know it is possible to use the condition: IsFirstTickOfBar.

Sometimes it comes in handy, but in essence it is equivalent to using CalculateOnBarClose. As far as strategies go I've never been able to create anything that does something else besides CalculateOnBarClose.

Now it is possible to setup a multi-time frame strategy. All trades are executed on the primary data series, say a 3 minute chart. The secondary data series might be something like a 15 second chart. In a case such as this you can execute a trade intra-bar. The 15 second chart would trigger a trade on the 3 minute chart.

However, I've not been able to set up Renko bars for use as a secondary data series for some reason. The strategy builder does not allow this. I suppose an experienced coder could accomplish that task but I am unable to do so.

i was going to try multi time frame for renko but then i decided against it just cause i really didn't see the value over traditional bars. but ya anyway best of luck with your new renko's keep us posted!

ellinas
Cyprus, Nico

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 9

iantg View Post
I think the only way to safely use exotic bar types would be to use them as indicators to cut out the noise but still execute trades on more granular prices. So for both testing and live trading you would know full well what the prices where at any point in time, but the exotic bar type could be a secondary data point like an indicator. The failure of back-testing comes when you use the exotic bar type as your primary data series. In this case it cuts the noise so much that it only sees green when you are really red and vice versa. Simple back-testers fail miserably if you set this as your primary data series. But if you put this on a secondary data series just for analysis... You might be able to work with it.

Ian

Hi,
I use SiProRenkoBars in my strategies (together with my indicators), all of them coded by me. I backtest only via Market replay. Other backtesting methods fail. The only problem with Market replay is that it takes long time to make a backtest. I usually spend 2-3 days to backtest (via Market replay) one(1) month back !!. However, the accuracy is 85-90% comparing with real-money trading. I attach a backtest file which which has been verified (with real-money trading) by 91%. The same range of accuracy I saw in the last 18 months back. I use NinjaTrader (NT7). Conclusion (IMO) : Use Market replay backtest method if you use any type of Renko Bars. Thanks .

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts