NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the new CME E-Micro's (E micro) MES, MNQ, MYM, M2K and other micros

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 27 posts (77 thanks)
    2. looks_two bob7123 with 23 posts (35 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 17 posts (51 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mattz with 17 posts (46 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one FuturesTrader71 with 7.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SMCJB with 2.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 166,695 views
    2. thumb_up 945 thanks given
    3. group 160 followers
    1. forum 486 posts
    2. attach_file 30 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the new CME E-Micro's (E micro) MES, MNQ, MYM, M2K and other micros

jonkeck101
Riverside, California

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 1

I've tried trading ES on the Nadex platform. They offer a 1/5 version of ES in the form of bullspreads. It is regulated by the CFTC and legal in the US. Some huge issues with it is that they do not allow you to put stops or limits in, the bull spreads would charge you huge premium if you wanted to cap your risk, and there was a lot of slippage in prices that would mess you up.

I look at it as a way to build discipline, but it is very hard to build confidence when you have to stay at your screen making sure your risk target isn't tagged.

If there was another version of this I would definitely check it out, but I feel it would struggle with the same issue.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
 GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,563

Looks a bit like CFDs and ETFs - question would be if you can trade overnight and still afterhours.
Over all it is likely to be much pricier to trade 5 micros than one mini because of margin, spreads,
bad fills etc. With this a slight gain for a rookie is melting to zero or negative.

One has to think that volume flowing away from one instrument influences all dependent as well
as the original one: less volume finally in the mini means more volatility and stops set at the same
level are suddenly at higher risk!

GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,513

Hello Traders,

Interesting poll. Not what I expected. It is currently showing 30% would not trade a Micro-ES contract.

Can those of you who voted "no" please post a bullet list stating why not?

I have been pushing the CME to release a micro-index product for reasons others as well as Mike have discussed here. I have met with upper management, etc. I want to make sure all views on this product are covered at our next meeting.

Best,
FT71

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,181
Thanks Received: 15,563

Hi @FuturesTrader71

the poll result: please consider that a big part of futures.io (formerly BMT) members are not trading
the ES because it is not in the time zone of the trader...

Then I would be happy to see a price comparison between the mini and the micro
with all costs / trading times / spreads (please see post above).

If things are transparent and easy to handle - there will be of course a market.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts
GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bob7123 
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja, IRT, ToS
Broker: EdgeClear, LMAX
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 134
Thanks Received: 2,682

FuturesTrader71 View Post

I actually voted yes, but that is only because there was no "Yes until you are more comfortable trading multiple contracts on an instrument that is bigger, but has a tighter spread, more liquidity and lower commissions" option.

One thing I hadn't considered that came from this thread was that a micro contract could be held longer, which might be an appeal to some traders who are OK with trading the ES, but only trade short timeframes. In that case the issues above would be less of an issue. Maybe some more experienced traders hadn't considered this either.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

mengelbrecht 
copenhagen, denmark

Platform: multicharts, Ninja
Broker: IB & Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 23

Hello Traders,

Interesting poll. Not what I expected. It is currently showing 30% would not trade a Micro-ES contract.

I have been pushing the CME to release a micro-index product for reasons others as well as Mike have discussed here. I have met with upper management, etc. I want to make sure all views on this product are covered at our next meeting.

Best,
FT71

Hi FT71
I voted no:

The reason is very simple - my account size allows me to trade the emini - so why change !!.

rgds
mengelbrecht

Thanked by:

skilluminati 
Warszawa, Polska

Platform: sierra chart
Broker: IB/IQ
Trading: equities, options, futures
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 19

I'm reminded of bmt thread by this discussion, courtesy of Fat Tails. I'm not 100% sure if that commentary is relevant to this, but if I'm on the right track here, then the new contract should have proportional tick value and lower commissions such that it does not severely impact expectancy of the trader in favor of the broker, dealers and/or the exchange. It would be unfortunate if it resembled mini spy options that leave all fees and commissions as their bigger brother and just offer smaller leverage, negatively impacting trading profitability.

Thanked by:
 fourtiwinks 
Singapore

Experience: Beginner
Thanks Given: 526
Thanks Received: 201

I voted 'yes', but I agree with the above comments.. No one would be interested if the fees and commissions are not reduced, if not correspondingly, then by a fair amount. I may be wrong but in retail spot forex, the spreads are relative to the size of the contracts.. so the spread for a 1 lot is 10x that for a mini-lot (0.1 lot), and 100x that for a micro-lot (0.01 lot).

Thanked by:

ratfink 
Birmingham UK
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TST/Rithmic
Trading: YM/Gold
Thanks Given: 17,423
Thanks Received: 8,425

In the UK the spread betting platforms offer better features, flexibility and tax regimes.
For UK and Europeans the FDAX is a far better instrument than ES anyway (imho).
Otherwise concerns would be the sort of liquidity issues and traps that users of the micro M6E have experienced.

Travel Well
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

ratfink View Post
For UK and Europeans the FDAX is a far better instrument than ES anyway (imho).

"Better" would be a matter of opinion, as you state--but a fact is that the DAX is a much more volatile index that has much higher exchange margins for that very reason. It is not comparable at all to the ES, and tends to behave more like crude oil from my (limited) observation of it.

FESX, the Euro Stoxx 50, is a much more similar instrument to ES than the DAX, and would be a much more suitable substitution for the ES than the DAX, IMO. But many European traders like to trade the ES, so it's kind of a moot point anyway, for someone looking for a micro sized product.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 28, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts