NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Probability 101

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Lornz with 23 posts (49 thanks)
    2. looks_two monpere with 11 posts (32 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 10 posts (21 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 4 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one monpere with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Lornz with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Hotch with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,260 views
    2. thumb_up 114 thanks given
    3. group 26 followers
    1. forum 67 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

Search this Thread

Probability 101

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

Would be curious to see how it performed (monpere system) on the Euro(6E) today between 8:30am to 15:00pm Est.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

Lornz View Post
That's a decent trading system. Are you taking the signals manually or is it automated? Do you filter signals at all? Market or limit orders? Slippage?

There's no point in posting a chart, though. Post the trades in real-time or set up a trading room with live sharing of your screen. That is a sure way to be pestered with PMs for the rest of your life... Assuming you're not making this up, of course. But I don't think that is the case.

Personally, I trade in a different manner. CL usually have larger gyrations than your targets, and I try to limit transaction costs. But, as you said: "There is more than one way to skin a cat".

The signals are actually not as accurate as they should be so I don't auto trade it. I have strict filtering rules which I've never been able to program because they are recognition of shapes of squiggly lines. My filters would have filtered out 11 losing signals and 6 winning signals.

I generally only trade 8am-12pm est. I have absolutely no desire to run trading rooms, tweet, chat, etc. I cannot imagine for the life of me why profitable traders would want to do that. That sounds like more hassle then it would ever be worth. I prefer to sit behind my keyboard and write code.

Thanked by:

NJAMC 
Atkinson, NH USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader 8/TensorFlow
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures, CL, ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 3,037
Thanks Received: 2,395

monpere View Post
The signals are actually not as accurate as they should be so I don't auto trade it. I have strict filtering rules which I've never been able to program because they are recognition of shapes of squiggly lines. My filters would have filtered out 11 losing signals and 6 winning signals.

I generally only trade 8am-12pm est. I have absolutely no desire to run trading rooms, tweet, chat, etc. I cannot imagine for the life of me why profitable traders would want to do that. That sounds like more hassle then it would ever be worth. I prefer to sit behind my keyboard and write code.

My dream.... Profitable!

Nil per os
-NJAMC [Generic Programmer]

LOM WIKI: NT-Local-Order-Manager-LOM-Guide
Artificial Bee Colony Optimization
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

monpere View Post

If i were you i would have written: "i prefer to sit behind my keyboard and make money."

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

trendisyourfriend View Post
Would be curious to see how it performed (monpere system) on the Euro(6E) today between 8:30am to 15:00pm Est.

Don't like the 6E because it just doesn't move enough. Since I trade probability, I want to trade an instrument that produces enough signals during the day in order to for the derived numbers to become significant. There were 86 bars produced by the 6E today as compared to 425 bars on the previous CL chart I posted.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6e.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	67981  

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Your system seems to trigger an entry each time a bar reverses. Obviously, if you take an instrument that moves a lot, any oscillator should be able to identify enough turning points to probably expect a better than 50% result, no? I am not familiar enough with the scripting lingo but i suspect if you trade when volume is at its peak and take every turn, you should be able to end with profit. Never tested these mechanical ideas.

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

trendisyourfriend View Post
Your system seems to trigger an entry each time a bar reverses. Obviously, if you take an instrument that moves a lot, any oscillator should be able to identify enough turning points to probably expect a better than 50% result, no? I am not familiar enough with the scripting lingo but i suspect if you trade when volume is at its peak and take every turn, you should be able to end with profit. Never tested these mechanical ideas.

It is mainly a reversal system, so all the entries should be on bar reversals, it tries to enter on the bar that creates the peak of the reversal, but if you look closer not every bar reversal triggers a signal. Renko bars tend to work best with this system because of the inherent nature of how these bars get produced. A method does not need to be very accurate, even at below 50%, the proper risk reward ratio will more then make up for the accuracy, but you have to have enough signals for the numbers to kick in your favor.

Thanked by:

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

monpere View Post

OK. But then I don't see why you took offense at @Deucalion 's statement? It seems you are using your intelligence to filter trades?

I asked about the order types because I'm trying to understand how you execute. Are you manually placing limit orders as your signal appears? If so, are you executing with Ninjatrader in addition to using it for charting?

I was joking about the trading room. I was simply pointing out that you'll probably be getting plenty of PMs over the next few days...

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Lornz View Post
OK. But then I don't see why you took offense at @Deucalion 's statement? It seems you are using your intelligence to filter trades?

I asked about the order types because I'm trying to understand how you execute. Are you manually placing limit orders as your signal appears? If so, are you executing with Ninjatrader in addition to using it for charting?

I was joking about the trading room. I was simply pointing out that you'll probably be getting plenty of PMs over the next few days...

Didn't take offense, nor did I mean to offend. Just was trying to say there are various ways to trade, and since this thread is about probability, I wanted to illustrate how probability comes into play in my trading. I filter trades only because I cannot get the indicator to filter 100% accurately, that may just be a reflection of my coding abilities

I chart and execute with Ninjatrader. I enter on bar close with a stop/limit order the moment the signal appears intra- bar. Once the signal appears, it means that if the bar closes in that direction, it will be a valid signal. Given with a range/renko type bars I know the price where the bar is going to close, my order is placed, and is waiting, way before the entry bar closes. If the bar closes the other way, the entry order is canceled.

Thanked by:

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

monpere View Post
Didn't take offense, nor did I mean to offend. Just was trying to say there are various ways to trade, and since this thread is about probability, I wanted to illustrate how probability comes into play in my trading. I filter trades only because I cannot get the indicator to filter 100% accurately, that may just be a reflection of my coding abilities

I chart and execute with Ninjatrader. I enter on bar close with a stop/limit order the moment the signal appears intra- bar. Once the signal appears, it means that if the bar closes in that direction, it will be a valid signal. Given with a range/renko type bars I know the price where the bar is going to close, my order is placed, and is waiting, way before the entry bar is closed. If the bar closes the other way, the entry order is canceled.

I have the same problem with one of my systems, but it's too stressful to execute manually. I have to admit that I am a terrible coder, but, as I fairly recently discovered an inclination for functional programming, I have a hope of automating all of my intraday trading this year.

I was simply wondering if you were experiencing missed/losing trades due to poor execution. Seeing as your system trades relatively frequently, uses fairly small stops/targets and that CL moves like a beast, I thought you might benefit from faster order routing. Especially with regard to getting the exit order earlier in the queue. At $300k per contract/year it's easily deductible.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and I wish you continued success!

Last Updated on May 30, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts