NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Webinar: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) on Risk, Sizing, Scaling and Trade Management

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 38 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 11 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 6 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sdthomas01 with 14 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Lornz with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 46,989 views
    2. thumb_up 159 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 139 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

Webinar: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) on Risk, Sizing, Scaling and Trade Management

Mtype 
Hungary

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,434
Thanks Received: 1,763

Lots of knowledge in this webinar. I particularly liked the Q&A at the end. Big thanks!!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 839
Thanks Received: 471

The first 15 minutes was my favorite. Just re-listened to it and took some notes:

Price risk vs informational risk
  • Price risk is yanking your order because you want to see how the market behaves at that price (aka waiting for confirmation)
  • Informational risk is taking the price because you anticipated trading @ that price level
  • Professional traders take informational risk because taking a better price puts a trader closer to knowing whether they are right or wrong.
  • We never know what is going to happen. We need to accept this as a trader in order to move forward.

Emotional capital
  • Success is based on how well you execute your edge
  • Taking a bad trade debits your emotional confidence and makes you less confident
  • Repeteition of the exercise of trading... taking your edge and knowing it has (and will continue) makes it easier to see the market for what it is
  • When you are low on emotional capital, you can't see the forest for the trees and you suffer greatly as a result
  • When you become more confident, your view of the market completely changes... it is like being in the matrix almost
  • Depleted emotional capital will lead to lower actual capital. That is why it is best to sit out the market when you are in a funk

Thanked by:

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois

Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 839
Thanks Received: 471

did anyone get the book that Futurestrader91 recommended ( The Nature of Risk by Justin Mamis) I am about halfway through and it is a good read. It reminds me of Trading in the Zone as the author redefines how we look @ risk as traders/investors.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

Bermudan Option View Post
did anyone get the book that Futurestrader91 recommended ( The Nature of Risk by Justin Mamis) I am about halfway through and it is a good read. It reminds me of Trading in the Zone as the author redefines how we look @ risk as traders/investors.

It's on my bookshelf, unfortunately I haven't had time to read it.

Please start a new thread to discuss this book as you go through it and share your thoughts.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,207
Thanks Received: 101,599

There is now an AMA (Ask Me Anything) thread for questions aimed directly at FuturesTrader71:

As part of our AMA series, FT71 will also be presenting two 30-minute live screen sharing sessions each month. This is in addition to any normally scheduled "full" webinar presentations.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

iqgod 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: ChartNexus
Trading: Stocks, Commodities, Futures
Thanks Given: 3,658
Thanks Received: 3,097

Bermudan Option View Post

Big Mike View Post
It's on my bookshelf, unfortunately I haven't had time to read it.

Please start a new thread to discuss this book as you go through it and share your thoughts.

Mike

I have started a new thread for this invaluable book and am in the process of posting a thorough review, and also plan on posting snippets that I wanted to highlight for the benefit of everyone: The Nature of Risk: Justin mamis - Discuss this book!

Thanked by:
miktrading
Los Angeles, California

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 8

Hello everyone,

I'd really like to continue this conversation and get more specific. The video near the end at around 1:42:00 was about giving the trade room to work, keep the stop at an area that your no longer right. This confuses newer traders for sure.

I've had months of performance where my stops where just hit and day by day leads to death by a million cuts. I've also had trades where performance goes up with a negative risk/reward ratio.

The reason why I say this confuses newer traders is because when talking about the risk/reward ratios, the amount is in ticks. A few ticks in the emini SPX amounts to nearly $50 or one point. What happens is traders think they can get away with super tight stops and end up overtrading, not paying attention to trade location.

The sweet spot should be where risk/reward is positive, trade location has some logic, otherwise we would all be flipping coins with a black box. One also has to account for a daily loss limit as FT71 has mentioned elsewhere. It keeps guys from fighting trends all day long and not living to trade another day.

I'd like to know what others think about this and where their "sweet spot" is

tpredictor 
North Carolina

Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: es

miktrading View Post
I'd like to know what others think about this and where their "sweet spot" is

One way to view the market is that there is competition among different leverage levels. For example, if you know the market will go up say 5 points at some probability then why not trade it for 1 point with larger size. This is basically arbitrage. The ability to arbitrage is based on your leverage capacity and edge. Markets are said to be efficient because professionals are arbitraging all the edges away in real time. So, if you don't trade with enough leverage even if you can predict or forecast the market, you won't be able to make a worthwhile return. However, leverage works both ways. The risk is that if you try to trade for a small target with a small stop then it becomes easy for a larger trader with more capital to game your stops-- or the market as a whole can do that too. For example, let's imagine a large group of traders attempt to arbitrage the same profit but act in unison. That entire group of traders is at break even and their stops now represent the largest profit potential in the market. So, you need the right leverage.

You can track both the realized risk and max risk for evaluating performance. If you are asking what your max loss limit can be, it depends on your probability of realizing it. I'd be willing to risk a larger amount if my probability of realizing it were relatively less and it increased my profit. In percentage terms, obviously larger accounts will want to risk less while smaller accounts will need risk more. A risk of 2% to 5% seems to be reasonable to me but smaller accounts may need to risk more and very large accounts might desire to risk less.

Right, with smaller stops you run the risk of serially correlated losers while larger stops expose you to tail risk. With more frequent trading, you need a higher confidence of statistical profitability while if you trade less frequently then any house edge becomes less relevant especially if you are trading a large reward to risk.

miktrading
Los Angeles, California

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 8

tpredictor View Post
You can track both the realized risk and max risk for evaluating performance. If you are asking what your max loss limit can be, it depends on your probability of realizing it. I'd be willing to risk a larger amount if my probability of realizing it were relatively less and it increased my profit. In percentage terms, obviously larger accounts will want to risk less while smaller accounts will need risk more. A risk of 2% to 5% seems to be reasonable to me but smaller accounts may need to risk more and very large accounts might desire to risk less.

I think that's where the harmonic rotations come into play. What makes your probability valid, and why? In percentage terms, I believe it has to keep the trader from risk of ruin, so less is better. That's all assuming that not much leverage if any is used.

Stop sizing also shouldn't be so wide that if you are wrong, you have no trade left. For example if you were wrong on a direction, yet by the time you get stopped, you can't take the other side.

If the rotational study is based on 1 minute or 5 minute bars, yet the move to meet your reward parameters takes 30 minutes, you still have the issue of being stopped after decent MFE. Meeting the 5 minute rotation avg of say 5 points, but your risking 10 to make 20, so the next rotation could be down and continue down.

Maybe I didn't understand the concept as well.

rgakalo 
Baku, Azerbaijan

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Meta Trader
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 60

Is it possible to re-upload this video to Youtube? Flash player won't be working in a couple of months anyway.

Last Updated on October 16, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts