NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Non farm payroll traders here?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one xplorer with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two ssp729 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Silvester17 with 1 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 5,236 views
    2. thumb_up 8 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Non farm payroll traders here?

Extra Dave
nottingham england

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Anyone trade the non farm payroll every month?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Yes, and no.

Yes - For the most part, we probably all trade the report, inadvertently, just because the market reacts to it.

No - You will probably find that many traders do not care what the report says. Personally, I prefer not to know anything about most reports, because it tends to create bias. And bias does not allow us to trade the market as purely.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

I think what he means is to actually "trade" the report. to enter as fast as possible after the release.

a few things that are essential:

- know what the market has positioned itself before the release (knowing what the market wants to see)

- having a fast news feed like reuters, bloomberg etc

as it can be very rewarding in a short amount of time, it's also worth knowing what the other "job" numbers are (unemployment rate, private nonfarm payroll, average hourly earnings). and of course there're the revisions from the previous month that can have an impact.

a huge plus would be if the news would leak to you a few minutes before the release.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,447
Thanks Received: 15,291

My 2 cents: I think trading the NFP as soon as the figures are released can be very tricky.

Firstly I'd address the question of what product to trade, given that different products react to the release in different ways.

For example, it seems usually problematic (or has been for the past couple of years) to trade indexes such as SP500 because of the interpretation of bad/good data that people attribute to NFP release, i.e. job numbers are good so some people may think that the Fed may increase interest rates and that prompts them to sell.

The products I have seen to respond in a more linear way to NFP are usually EURUSD and T-notes (10 year). Because of algos, though, attempting to enter the market as soon as the figures are released usually gets me to buy right at the top or sell at the bottom.

What has worked for me is to get onto a retracement which usually prompts for a continuation in the original direction of the spike.

Of course that approach wouldn't have worked in the last three releases including today , even though today we had mixed data: lower than expected headline figure but better than expected unemployment %.

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Just trying to make sense of your comment Marc, you say you want to go in the opposite direction as GaryD's but then just copied his comment?

Revan
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 26

Yeah I'm looking into swing trading the non farm payroll, there is the actual report release and then there is the forecasted figures, anyone know much about where they source the forecasted figures and/or are there are multiple forecasts from various groups i.e. Bloomberg, Reuters etc?

Any links would be handy also if anyone knows some good sites, the first page of google does not always satisfy.

ssp729
São Paulo, Brasil

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

Revan, i have tried to forecast NFP... Do you think itīs possible?

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

I just realized NFP came out today as opposed to tomorrow....

I figured since July 4 in the US falls on Saturday, NFP was going to go ahead on Friday 3rd....

What's the deal? Does Independence Day get brought forward in terms of celebration if it falls on a w.e.?

Thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

xplorer View Post
I just realized NFP came out today as opposed to tomorrow....

I figured since July 4 in the US falls on Saturday, NFP was going to go ahead on Friday 3rd....

What's the deal? Does Independence Day get brought forward in terms of celebration if it falls on a w.e.?

Thanks

No, not exactly. But no one wants to give up the day off, after all....

So basically, it gets taken on the 3rd by anyone who can manage it.

As to the markets, the New York Stock Exchange will be closed on Friday, July 3 2020. On the CME, equity futures will be open only for a shortened session that will end at 12:00 PM Central Time (which Chicago is on), to accommodate the Europeans, basically. There will be no significant US-based trading volume, because no US traders will be in the equities markets. (I didn't check the other instruments, but basically there won't be many Americans doing much in anything.)

No one in the US is going to be at work on Friday if they can at all help it, government offices included.

Bob.

-------------

Update: after I wrote this I thought I would check for the official government holiday schedule, which is on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website, which lists the holidays for pay purposes for the US government: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/federal-holidays/

Here's a footnote they give about July 3 and 4 in 2020:

**July 4, 2020 (the legal public holiday for Independence Day), falls on a Saturday. For most Federal employees, Friday, July 3, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See 5 U.S.C. 6103(b).)

---------------

Second update: people in the US will still consider July 4 the actual day, which of course it is, and this is the day for actual celebration. This is the day for barbecuing hot dogs and for beer and for fireworks and all that (probably somewhat restrained this year due to the virus, but still the real day.) But days off are not to be treated lightly. Some years ago, Richard Nixon moved to have all the official US holidays that didn't depend on a definite date to be moved to a Monday, to allow for more three-day weekends. I was of working age at that time (four or five centuries ago, I know), and I viewed this as the one thing he did that would have the most lasting impact, and so it has.

Most people probably don't know it was ever any other way, which is a measure of the permanence of the change.

Before this, the three-day weekend was a matter of chance: if the holiday fell on a Friday or a Monday, fine, otherwise we had to take days off as we could manage them.

But there is no way to get around days like "July 4" or the others that are nailed to the calendar, so we do what we can to maximize the time off, which after all is a major goal....

(But not, I will say, the only one or the main one, nor are the hot dogs and beer and fireworks and everything. July 4 is still an extremely major day in the US, other things aside, and for just about everyone, just to be clear about that.)

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 3, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts