NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading natural gas futures

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 185 posts (360 thanks)
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 21 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ron99 with 20 posts (50 thanks)
    4. looks_4 jokertrader with 17 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two myrrdin with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Symple with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 86,558 views
    2. thumb_up 557 thanks given
    3. group 71 followers
    1. forum 368 posts
    2. attach_file 49 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading natural gas futures

mmandi 
Philadelphia, PA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers/IQFeed
Trading: Futures: NG, CL, BP
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 10

Just started trading NG 2 months ago with IB. The margin is good at around 2K intra-day as stated before. I like the price action because it moves well and not overly fast like CL can get at times. Been doing some Elliot Wave analysis with it and getting the wave counts is not as confusing as with some of the other commodity contracts. I'm liking what I've seen so far...enough so that I will continue to work with it and monitor my results. I had to take off from CL because it gets too volatile for me at times. NG is liquid enough and moves at a pace I can handle.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
TheDude
london

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 162

I've never understood why retail traders ever comment about liquidity. It's such a non issue.

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

TheDude View Post
I've never understood why retail traders ever comment about liquidity. It's such a non issue.

Why?

If you're trading an illiquid instrument, and big players start to unwind, will you as retail trader not suffer from erratic price movements, widening of the bid/ask spread, and more often being stopped out? That would be like August 2007, I suppose. And didn't the liquidity dried up during the Flash Crash? That could not have been a good trading day for retail traders.

So yes, for the order size of retail traders the liquidity is not very relevant. But if liquidity disappears, this affects the whole market - retail traders included.

Thanked by:
TheDude
london

Jura View Post
Why?

If you're trading an illiquid instrument, and big players start to unwind, will you as retail trader not suffer from erratic price movements, widening of the bid/ask spread, and more often being stopped out? That would be like August 2007, I suppose. And didn't the liquidity dried up during the Flash Crash? That could not have been a good trading day for retail traders.

So yes, for the order size of retail traders the liquidity is not very relevant. But if liquidity disappears, this affects the whole market - retail traders included.

But thats trading.

OK we all know that retail FX brokers dont provide access to the interbank FX market (supposedly the most liquid market), but suppose you did have access to the interbank market. What happens when a central bank wants to dump some reserve currency, or some corporate, or look at the bond market, or the Eurodollar market last Friday.

All markets are going to take a bath from time to time. If liquidity falls off, then the average retail trader still hasnt got many problems compared to larger traders who may need 2 days to unwind a position.

You could argue that a less liquid contract isnt going to react as badly, simply because there is less open interest to drive it anywhere - except basis traders perhaps.

Personally, I dont agree about liquidity drying up during the flash crash. If liquidity is measured by the amount of notional willing to be put at risk in such times, then we would never have seen the S&P regain some 40-50% of the initial decline. Thats also a great arguement for HFT as well - they are the ones who brought the market back up. It would be a brave soul who could lift an offer when the markets just come off say 4% or how ever much it was in the last 10 mins!!

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

That's very interesting food for thought; I hadn't looked at it from that point of view. Thanks TheDude.

Thanked by:
TheDude
london

mmandi View Post
Just started trading NG 2 months ago with IB. The margin is good at around 2K intra-day as stated before. I like the price action because it moves well and not overly fast like CL can get at times. Been doing some Elliot Wave analysis with it and getting the wave counts is not as confusing as with some of the other commodity contracts. I'm liking what I've seen so far...enough so that I will continue to work with it and monitor my results. I had to take off from CL because it gets too volatile for me at times. NG is liquid enough and moves at a pace I can handle.

You may want to consider another broker. $578 at DDT intraday.

Deep Discount Futures Trading Commodity Brokers Best Low Rates Cheap Commissions High Frequency Systems Exchange Members

It's good to see people are starting to look at other more interesting contracts than ES and FX stuff though. Commodities will generally offer more of an edge if daytrading in my opinion - if only because 90% of traders there are either spreading, or trading off fundamentals - so there will be less competition.

It would be interesting to look at daily changes in open interest to see how many contracts are typically day traded (liquidity provision from algos) compared to those held overnight.

davidh7863
Charleston, SC

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

Hi all, new member here and interested in NG futures, and options. What does everyone use for analysis tools in deciding on trade setups for NG? Anyone using Trade Pairs to reduce risk?

dbarno 
Madison, Wi

Platform: Ninja Trader, Trade Navigator
Trading: CL,GC, HG
Thanks Given: 155
Thanks Received: 82

Also like trading NG. To me it is either moving or not. Some days don't trade it, some days in and out all day. No problems with fills. Amp will let you trade for free with an account. $500 margins. It kinda does it own thing and really doesn't follow other markets like some will. It's slower pace works great for my style of trading.

jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

Why is nat gas neglected?
Smoother than cl
Anyone interested to revive this thread that's a nat gas junkie every day?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

zmaj 
Ojai, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Abdominal Plank
Trading: Energy
Thanks Given: 472
Thanks Received: 1,083

jokertrader View Post
Why is nat gas neglected?
Smoother than cl
Anyone interested to revive this thread that's a nat gas junkie every day?

Hi, i was going to create a NatGas Tracker. Completely agree on your assessment of the commodity. Usually the softs are my bread and butter. This forum is absolutely overwhelming. Information overload.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on March 25, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts