NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use TradeStation?

Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two SunTrader with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xbfut with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one StratOpt with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 maggtrading with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 FastBull32 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,455 views
    2. thumb_up 70 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use TradeStation?

wallstreetluigi
jersey city new jersey

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

does anybody know how I can lenghen the 1 minute chart on TS. I only like to use the 1 minute chart and want to extend the timeframe. any help?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 ABCTG   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 481
Thanks Received: 1,623

wallstreetluigi,

you might want to create a separate thread for your request to keep this thread on topic. The minute increments are fixed in TS, all you could do is use a higher increment or switch to second charts.

Regards,

ABCTG

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 TraderDoc007 
Detroit MI/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Multicharts, Custom own
Trading: All Futures
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 206

1) How long have you been using TradeStation?
19 years

2) What are your favorite features of TradeStation?
Ease of use, Easylanguage is easy to use for basic programming, extremely powerful, very customizable.

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without?
Easylanguage, semi automated and automated trading strategy development.

4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
Live

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this?
Both - I've developed my methodology and tools that I used to use for discretionary trading into a 90% automated system. Still enjoy discretionary swing trading.

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use TradeStation?
Easylanguage is very intuitive - wasn't too difficult but took some long days and nights to become proficient. I still utilize programmers for the very complex involved automated strategies that use OOEL. My OOEL is very sparse and wanting!!

7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
Very infrequently needed, but when I have, I'd give them an 8/10.

8) Do you believe TradeStation is competitively priced?
As competitive as others. A few cents here or there is really irrelevant in the long run in trading unless one is trading a type of HFT, then Tradestation is a killer!

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for TradeStation?
Below average for very complex projects.

Thanked by:
FoxKaren
New York City

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 7

The main reason I still use TS is for back testing. I actually have another account I use with Cannon trading for actual trading but I know easy language and got used to it and don't want to learn another language so i am still using Trade Station. CHarts are amazing. Excellent back testing etc. However when it comes to speed, cost, day trading margins and service, the guys at Cannon are way superior....

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

1) How long have you been using TradeStation?
12 years in our shop, 2 years personally

2) What are your favorite features of TradeStation?
Charting is pretty powerful

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in TradeStation that you could not do without?
Backtesting, custom functions/studies,/strategies, trade automation.

4) Do you use TradeStation in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
We do all of our strategy development, testing, and live trading with TradeStation

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does TradeStation help you with this?
Algorithmic trader, all the way.

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use TradeStation?
Personally, I am still learning it. It is not totally intuitive and I learned most of what I needed from my partner. The training materials are sufficient to get started. The main thing that I struggle with is that I can see a data point on the screen, but I can't always get that data point from a function or elsewhere.

7) How do you rate TradeStation's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
I rate 5/10 stars. It takes a very long time to reach someone. You need to call them 45 minutes before you need to talk to someone. They are usually able to resolve the issue. The forums are not always available. Documentation on advanced topics is arcane.

8) Do you believe TradeStation is competitively priced?
No. They charge a $99 per user subscription fee just for the software, plus whatever data fees (subscription fee is waived with a minimum number o f monthly trades, which we usually achieve). We cannot run the software on more than one machine at a time (ex: 1 live and 1 sim), which means I have to develop with a Live data feed.

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for TradeStation?
Community support for TradeStation on futures.io is great, a 10/10. Seriously though, I cannot get into the community forums at TradeStation. And I don't want to spend 45 minutes waiting to speak to someone who may or may not be able to assist. My partner has had issues with the forums and can no longer acess them. So it is pretty bad: 0/10

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

The big missing question here is: Why do I use TradeStation?

Answer: Because I have to. We have been using TS since our early beginnings over a decade ago. As I have only just recently become active in our trading business, I use what we have. Since we are tied to our broker through TS, switching platforms would not be a whole lot of fun. I like Sierra Chart a lot, though I am still learning and am far from comfortable enough to switch.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 carofa 
Tallinn Estonia

Experience: Master
Platform: MT5,MT4
Broker: FP markets
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 50

When you look at https://trends.google.com/trends/
and put in for example "metatrader" and "tradestation" with the setting worldwide and from 2004
you will find out that this software is not as populare as it had been 10 years ago . Why?
Because it is overloaded, expensive and the platform is not open enough. I used it and I think you can put it in a museum!

Here the Link to the chart (without Indicators and Fibonacci )
https://g.co/trends/ij2ne

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

carofa View Post

Very interesting graphic. I agree wholeheartedly. At least we have enough trades so that we don't have to pay for the platform. Almost $1200 a year is a rip-off, especially since NinjaTrader is free.

Thanked by:
ELche
miami,florida

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 42

Why ?..
I was introduced to it by Online Trading Academy . Not paying any fees, so, will keep it for now. I recently moved to NT. because so many software vendors are there instead.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

carofa View Post
When you look at https://trends.google.com/trends/
and put in for example "metatrader" and "tradestation" with the setting worldwide and from 2004
you will find out that this software is not as populare as it had been 10 years ago . Why?
Because it is overloaded, expensive and the platform is not open enough. I used it and I think you can put it in a museum!

https://g.co/trends/ij2ne

That's really interesting. So Tradestation is basically popular in the US but in the rest of the world metatrader is more popular!

HoekNL 
Nijmegen/Netherlands

Platform: MotiveW, NT, Sierra, MT5
Broker: AMP Europe / CQG
Trading: ES,FDAX,DB
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 7

@vmodus it's true, Ninja is free, and i've found it to be a very solid and open platform, shame it's not on MacOS.

But free means advanced charting only, leaving only basic functionality, no DOM or Charttrader for trading execution. No OrderFlow etc. Lifetime license well priced thing though and in 4 installments even better!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 3, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts