NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Stocks premarket and Stock index futures correlations?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,136 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Stocks premarket and Stock index futures correlations?

brakkar 
Paris + France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 39

Hello,

since stocks premarket starts trading at 4am EST, are the interplay/correlation influences between the stock index underlying instrument, stocks and stock index futures the same in this premarket interval starting at 4am than they are within regular trading hours?

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,427
Thanks Received: 26,276

brakkar View Post
Hello,

since stocks premarket starts trading at 4am EST, are the interplay/correlation influences between the stock index underlying instrument, stocks and stock index futures the same in this premarket interval starting at 4am than they are within regular trading hours?

(a) I have no idea. I haven't traded stocks for years and I don't care what they do.

(b) You could run some charts yourself and see.

(c) The relationship between the stock indexes and the stock index futures is not accidental. In general, if someone has a large portfolio of stocks that somewhat matches one of the indices, they may want to hedge it against index futures. So when you talk about "stocks," it depends on which stocks you mean. Without having checked, my guess is that if you take a group of individual stocks that are widely held and are strongly represented in a particular index and then compare it to the futures contract for that index, they would be in reasonable step outside of regular hours, and would have to be. But "it depends" on which stocks you mean. If you are talking about just a few, and/or they don't generally match one of the indexes, then any match with the futures will be less, too.

(d) You do see interesting movement sometimes in a futures contract outside of regular hours when something big happens to a stock that is big in a particular index. Sometimes, for example, AAPL will have an unexpected announcement after the close, and then stock trading in AAPL as well as in futures trading in NQ (the Nasdaq index futures contract) may make big moves after the close. This is because AAPL is strongly represented in the Nasdaq index, which means it will also affect the NQ. Traders know this and will act accordingly. I assume that announcements or unexpected developments before the regular open would have a similar effect, but I can't think of any examples right now.

In general, I think that if you have any questions about whether the stock markets and the index futures markets will act in similar ways, the best way to answer the question is "yes." Regarding individual stocks, when volume is thin and/or you're talking about stocks that aren't big in a particular index, the answer will be "somewhat."

If you are interested in actually trading an individual stock pre or post market, and want to use futures as part of a strategy involving that stock, the answer obviously will depend on how well that stock tracks the index that the futures is tied to. This would also be a maneuver that would require a close knowledge of the market in that stock and of the associated index futures contract.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 25, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts